PDA

View Full Version : Mother of pearl

Pogue
10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I have been wanting to try imitating a mother of pearl finish. Is there a way to do this that anyone knows of? I up to now have just been using pearl paint, but I want it to look more like the shell. My thoughts on this are to paint a white blank with little areas of pink, silver, lt. blue, and maybe yellow followed by a light coat of pearl white so the base colors show through??? Has anyone here done this, and what was the outcome? (maybe I'd just be wasting my time)

Thanx - Rob

Bug_Spin_Dokta
10-05-2010, 01:31 AM
I have been wanting to try imitating a mother of pearl finish. Is there a way to do this that anyone knows of? I up to now have just been using pearl paint, but I want it to look more like the shell. My thoughts on this are to paint a white blank with little areas of pink, silver, lt. blue, and maybe yellow followed by a light coat of pearl white so the base colors show through??? Has anyone here done this, and what was the outcome? (maybe I'd just be wasting my time)

Thanx - Rob

I haven't personally done it. But, here's my take on it. shoot the Fluorescent colors first. Cut your pearl white with windex if your shooting with acrylic. I say 60 percent pigment 40 percent cutter of choice. i use windex because it's ammonia base and mixes well with Acrylic paints. I'm tellin you, give createx colors a shot. you won't be disappointed.

Pogue
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Just finished this today - minus the epoxy. Came out OK, but I think I'll try it a little different next time. I already know how I want the next two look like, but I gotta get them turned first.

SuperD
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Bodies look rough. Is it the type of wood you are using?

Bug_Spin_Dokta
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I miss my JET Lathe :-(

Pogue
10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Bodies look rough. Is it the type of wood you are using?

Yes, it was faily rough and thanx for noticinglaugh hyst ;-) This was actually from a plug that had got caught on the drill press, so I shortened the body and decided to use it as a test for this paint pattern. It did smooth out after the first clear coat. I'm going to give it one more coat tonight. I used Poplar, but I didn't sand anything on it after I pulled it off the lathe (usually do).

ReelJerks
11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Are you finished with these? I would think using a pearl glaze. Something like McCloskeys. Not sure it will give the same effect after top coating. Nice tho.

Edd

Pogue
11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Are you finished with these? I would think using a pearl glaze. Something like McCloskeys. Not sure it will give the same effect after top coating. Nice tho.

Edd

Yeah, I have this one finished. I really like the color in it and Iam making a few more. In my haste to finish this one off, I didn't allow the last pearl white coat to fully dry and after the top coat started to cure, it shrunk, causing the pearl white to wrinkle underneath it. This did create a cool effect although I won't try to replicate it with the next attempt! In the pics you can see what I'm talking about. The plug itself is smooth, it just has some "texturing" under the finnish. Next I'm going to try something more like an abalonie pattern?tooexcited

Kokonuts
11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
They are looking fishey to me! laugh hyst

I see that you are using eyes to attach the leader and hooks, what type of fish are they for? Have you tried drilling holes for a 2 hook leader like other Kokanee lures?

Kokonuts 101chromefish101

Pogue
11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
They are looking fishey to me! laugh hyst

I see that you are using eyes to attach the leader and hooks, what type of fish are they for? Have you tried drilling holes for a 2 hook leader like other Kokanee lures?

Kokonuts 101chromefish101

This one has a swivel epoxied into a hole through the lip to the belly (same as those little fly plugs I posted a while back). I did some how you described, I thought I had posted them, but apparently not so I'll add some pics. These are some I made to imitate candlefish. On these, the line goes through an oversized hole through the lip to the belly, and when trolled, the plug "swims" on the line with the hook trailing. I have a few more pics of these if you want to see em.

Back to this one....It started out as a mistake, while drilling through the lip of one of the candlefish plugs, it got caught on the drill bit and took a chip the bottom. What I did was cut it at the break and ended up with this size. I think I'm going to make a few more and use them for trout/cutthroat and probably pinks next summer. It is 2" long and 1/2" in diameter - probably would make a good Koke lure?

Kokonuts
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I may have missed some of the pictures, but I think the one with the swivel would work great. The smaller ones would be great for Kokanee!

Kokonuts

SilverBullets
11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Pogue...That 2" one would be great for kokanee in the right color combinations (bright florescents, uv/glow.) The Tomic Wee-Tads and Crystal Basin Wee Things are sold as koke lures.
http://www.tomiclures.com/wee_tad.htm
http://www.crystalbasintackle.com/wee%20thing%20page.htm

Pogue
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Right now I'm building a few of the 4" candlefish plugs, but as soon as I get them all turned (should be tonight), I'll turn more of those 2" plugs and get them painted with the others I'm working on. I think I have about 10 blanks cut for the 2"ers. Out of these, I will probably have a few that may need some "testing" 101ok101.

Rob

Torres
11-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Rob,

Have you tried slightly mixing different colors together and brushing it on instead of spraying it?

Might be worth trying.

And BTW I still owe you. Let me know if you are interested in steelheading sometime in the future.

Pogue
11-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Rob,

Have you tried slightly mixing different colors together and brushing it on instead of spraying it?

Might be worth trying.

And BTW I still owe you. Let me know if you are interested in steelheading sometime in the future.

I haven't tried brushing this, the pearl whtie I use leaves brush streaks when I brush it (before I found the thinner for this paint, I brushed it and they looked awful). I would like to try some steelheading, never have done it!

JBT
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Pogue,

I was just filtering through some of these old posts and noticed the cut head on your lures. Wondered if you could share the secret to achieving that cut.

Thanks
JBT

Pogue
02-08-2012, 02:08 PM
JBT

What I do is after shaping and sanding the plug I mark the eye location and the mouth while it's spinning on the lathe. After I cut the ends off, I then use the belt sander and sand down to the mouth line - mine are the same distance back from the front as the diameter at the mouth. I built a jig that holds the plug at the same angle as the mouth cut. With a ball rasp in the drill press, I can then cup the mouth.

Rob