PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and questions..

rkcarguy
09-26-2010, 03:29 AM
My first post here!
I've gotten into kok fishing on a couple of Whatcom counties lakes this year.
I went to the tackle shop and got setup with some basics...a few colors of wedding rings and headed out to the lake to give them a shot.
My wife trolled the pink and I trolled the green...after 3 hits and one fish on hers while mine was dead I switched to pink and it was game on. Had about 6 fish in the box and a big cloud blocked the sun and the bite died...trolled around for another 1/2 hour and nothing...all the sudden the cloud cleared and game on again....2 more in the box and several that wiggled off(no snubbers) and then we had to head home.
Whats your guys take on this...switch to glow wedding rings..add a dodger..different colors?

Bduck
09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
101welcomw rkcarguy. Good first post. thumbsup There is some other pretty good stuff out there to catch kokes with too. All you have to do is donate a paycheck. There's plenty of those on this forum that will help spend your money. I speak from experience. whistlersmother Oh, don't forget to keep wife supplied with wedding rings. signfishin

SilverBullets
09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome aboard rkcarguy!! Did you try adjusting your depth when the cloud coverage appeared? I've noticed where I fish theres around a 10' differance in the kokes depth on days with cloud coverage vs days that are sunny. Sun usually drives them down.

rkcarguy
09-27-2010, 02:39 AM
I wasn't running DR's so I slowed speed and while not sure of the depth, I had a decent line angle so I would guess I wasn't far off. Good sized schools of fish were showing up ~40ft-80ft deep. I would run my normal speed and then slow down or turn to allow the lure to drop.
I went to the local store yesterday and got a couple of glo-pink wedding rings, a couple of miracle lures, a 50-50 dodger and some gulp maggots and yellow shoe peg corn. Expanded the arsenal a bit in hopes of getting some action. I also got some small line release's for the DR's(I'm typically a salt guy but the sound has been rough this year)..
Appreciate the welcome!

SmokeOnTheWater
09-28-2010, 10:05 PM
101welcomw

While Wedding Rings are a favorite standby lure for kokanee don't solely rely on them. Those plastic squids you use in the Sound work well on koks too but scale them down to the 1.5 to 2.5 inch size about a foot behind a smaller dodger/flasher in 4.5 to 5.5 inch size. As BDuck has already stated, there's no shortage of us who will tell you what you need to buy and it sounds like you're well on your way to yet another tackle storage dilema like all the rest of us have already suffered through. Check out the links to those advertising their wares on this website like Kokaneemart, Shasta, Sierra and Rocky Mountain tackle companies. They're ALL GREAT!