PDA

View Full Version : Spawners

AvidOutdoorsman
08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
What is everyones view on catching and eating those red spawners? If you could give a reason as to why or why not that would be great. Thanks.

SilverBullets
08-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I've never tried to eat one...too slimey and the meat gets very mushy. They might taste great (maybe?) but I'd rather eat fresh firm meat.

Mojo
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
They get a strange taste from the loss of fats and oils, and the meat turns to mush. They become very fishy in a not so good way.

If you want to kill and eat them, great, but please don't waste spawners by killing several limits then finding they are unpalatable.

AvidOutdoorsman
08-30-2010, 01:58 AM
So far I haven't caught one that had soft and mushy flesh. And for me most of the time it is just fun to try and catch them. I go along the lines that whatever I decide to shoot or hook I eat. So nothing gets wasted.

I was just curious as to what everyone's thoughts were so that I could get a feeling for what the average response to my question was. I know that everyone has a different opinion on what is good or not and I respect that.

Thank you for the responses so far.

MMDON
08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Ick. 101blah101

SilverBullets
08-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Here's a good artical on Idaho kokanee. Towards the end of page 4 it states "here's a tip...don't fish for kokanee when they are starting to spawn and turn red. Their bodies get mushy and are not good to eat."

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/news/newsletters/wild_express/nov09.pdf

Excaliber
08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure how much natural recruitment we get but let those fish at least try to spawn!!!

Kokanee Killer
08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
hey guys theres nothing like watching a big hump backed male chasin down a lure on a territoral strike jus release em and try to get anothertongue2101chromefish101101chromefish101

MMDON
08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
They are fun to catch. Drag the bottom on the deep holes in the lake. Ririe at 100' using a red lure of some sort and you are sure to find something that will try to break your line! tooexcited

IdahoBrett
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Guess its allright if you catch and eat them. I havent tried them.
I know a few that catch them and bread em and deep fry.

I prefer to let them go and in hopes of spawing and makes thousands more of them great silvers. And then become food for other fish to make them bigger.

BlueBack79
09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
we used to have a cabin along the s.f. boise between pine and featherville when i was a kid. it used to be legal to snag them up there. i remember my dad used to do it, and my mom would can them. they were good! i have no desire to eat or catch the spawners. let them do their thing. if anything, just take a drive along any river that they spawn in, and just take in the sights. nothing more beautiful than fall colors and a red river!!

HoweAboutMontana
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
It is still legal to snag salmon in some places here in MT, in fact, snagging season just opened yesterday. Most folks I know of, can all they snag, and dont bother to prepare any other way. It don't matter if they get a little mushy, 'cause you are just treating them like any other canned fish, sandwiches, crackers, etc.

Just a few days ago, I caught several hook jawed males that were a little grey, and they were still firm and did just fine in the smoker101eatdrink101

MMDON
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't bother canning them. I tried that once and they tasted like cat poo. I don't see how eating bad canned fish is any different than eating bad fresh fish?

gonefishing
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
MMM

Maybe bad fish dont stink in Montana.laugh hyst

So what's on the bottom of Ririe.

I am going to try a new boat out at Palasades tomarrow. Ririe down 15 Ft and I want to practice where there is more room. I saw quite a few ski boats running around town this afternoon and I don't want to get in their way.

So as the weather get's to cold for water skiers, I will try some bottom draging. I'll try stuff that is red and glow in the dark both.

MMDON
09-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I fished Ririe this morning. Looks like the reds are mostly gone and I didn't see another boat out there. Beautiful morning!

gonefishing
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
My wife and I spent the day CHUB fishing in Palisades if you get my drift. I did enjoy the no wind warm day up there. Hopefully the weather will hold and I will be able to get back to Ririe and drag the bottom in a couple of weeks.