PDA

View Full Version : Launching a boat with a long pickup or motorhome.

Full_Monte
08-28-2010, 10:01 AM
One thing I always have trouble with is launching my boat. I tow with a Ford f350 dually crew cab with an 11'6" camper on it. By itself, it takes a country mile to turn around...it's 20 ft. long and with the camper, it's 23 ft. My boat is invisible behind the camper...can't see it even in the mirrors. It's a 15ft Gregor. When I get to the launch ramp, I install a couple of those Harbor Freight hitch liner-uppers. I put the magnets on the trailer and extend them out to each side so that I can at least see the yellow balls in my rear view mirrors when backing up. Just a little correction at the wheel often results in a major turn of the trailer, so it's always tough. (I think it's from a long wheel-base vehicle with a big overhang behind the rear tires, coupled to a short boat trailer). Add in my wife giving directions, and I'm not in a good mood by the time we launch the boat.fencing So here's the question to you guys with the motor homes and big pickup/campers....what do you do to make boat launching easier?

SuperD
08-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I installed a back up camera on my camper and I found that the camera in conjunction with the mirrors helped me a lot. Either one by themselves and I zig zagged down the ramp in a 50' swath.

Targa165
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I have a Chev 2500 with an Arctic Fox 990 slide in camper. With my boat hooked up I can barely see the tires to the boat. If it starts to get out of line the boat shows up from around the camper. I really don't have a problem backing the boat. On most camping trips I unload the camper since I've learned to do it in 20 min. or less and just have the boat hooked to the truck for launching. Don't know if you can see the tires to your boat with the camper on but that is how I do it.

ZONKER
08-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I had a good friend over on the other side of the state that had a motor home and allways pulled a boat. He just put a hitch and ball under the bumper of the motor home, hooked up the boat to the front and drove it to the boat ramp and it worked out pretty slick. His wife was not affraid to help him put the boat in the water or to take it out when they were throught. Just a thought but it was sure easy to push the boat down the ramp than wondering where the heck it is.101chromefish101

jekern1015
08-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I launch my boat with a 24' minnie winnie and its a total crap shoot. I do believe with practice I am getting better. I used to have on of those window decals on the back that makes everything look closer but it did not stay on very long. I have also thought about the rearview camera but lack of funds at the moment have pushed me away from that. I know in Texas I sure saw a lot of vehicles with a ball on the front for launching their boats.

Full_Monte
08-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I have a Chev 2500 with an Arctic Fox 990 slide in camper. With my boat hooked up I can barely see the tires to the boat. If it starts to get out of line the boat shows up from around the camper. I really don't have a problem backing the boat. On most camping trips I unload the camper since I've learned to do it in 20 min. or less and just have the boat hooked to the truck for launching. Don't know if you can see the tires to your boat with the camper on but that is how I do it.

I can't see any part of the trailer or boat! Zero, Zip, Nada...
the trailer gets a big angle on it before I see anything. Anybody know how much one of those video cameras costs?

SuperD
08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
You can buy the cheap ones at Costco for about $100 or you can buy really pricey ones. Pretty much like anything that has a high and low quality end. Here is how I mounted mine.

http://a.imageshack.us/img149/4172/backupcameraqa3.jpg

SmokeOnTheWater
08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I picked up a rear view camera at Checker Auto Parts a year ago for about $85. Seems like that would be cheap frustration relief especially for those with motorhomes? Hell, we spend more than that to fill the thing up with fuel these days!

Like Targa165, I too have mastered the loading and unloading of our 9.5' camper. Remote control jacks are GREAT! I really don't like the idea of turning around on the boat ramp with the camper on, slideouts or not. Much too top-heavy! Some of the boat ramps are STEEP!

DLM
08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I launch my boat with a 24' minnie winnie and its a total crap shoot. I do believe with practice I am getting better. I used to have on of those window decals on the back that makes everything look closer but it did not stay on very long. I have also thought about the rearview camera but lack of funds at the moment have pushed me away from that. I know in Texas I sure saw a lot of vehicles with a ball on the front for launching their boats.

I have one of the window "fish-eye" decals on my 30' motorhome and it has been on for 3-4 years now. Works great for me but would not work on a pickup and camper.

I think the hitch on the front of the pickup would be the way to go.

lucky23
08-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Monte I drive big rigs for a living rule of thumb is shorter the draw bar easier to jack knive heres what I did just to keep from putting drive wheels in the water it was actually a cheap fix and another thing you can do is add a 3 foot wood dowel coming straight out towards the rear of your trailer with over hang flags attached to them the same kind we use when hauling wide loads on lowboys as long as you see the flags your preety much in alignment your welcome to come by and see what i did to my trailer I'm just in Santa Clara off lawerance expwy and homestead I'll pm you my cell number
Bob

this is a four foot extension
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/truckin4fishin/P1010389Small.jpg
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/truckin4fishin/P1010388Small.jpg
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/truckin4fishin/P1010387Small.jpg

Full_Monte
08-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Some good ideas here...thanks for the help, guys! Lucky23....I'll give you a call. Thanks to you, too!

Bduck
08-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Adding the front hitch could be the way to go so you actually see what you are doing. Another alternative is to remove camper which is what I see alot of at the campgrounds. Next is leave wife at camp while you go launch. laugh hyst

SuperD
08-31-2010, 11:39 AM
The prospect of unhooking the trailer, flipping around and rehooking up on the front hitch at a busy ramp sounds like disaster waiting to happen to me. Dropping the camper in the campground is hands down the best solution!

Full_Monte
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
The prospect of unhooking the trailer, flipping around and rehooking up on the front hitch at a busy ramp sounds like disaster waiting to happen to me. Dropping the camper in the campground is hands down the best solution!

My camper hangs past the back of the truck 3ft 6inches. In order to put a hitch receiver on it, a supporting undercarriage had to be built. That makes it a 3 hour project to remove the camper. Not very attractive. Maybe next time, I'll buy a shorter camper.

Targa165
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
My camper hangs past the back of the truck 3ft 6inches. In order to put a hitch receiver on it, a supporting undercarriage had to be built. That makes it a 3 hour project to remove the camper. Not very attractive. Maybe next time, I'll buy a shorter camper.

Full_Monte google Torklift Superhitch. If I remember right you can go out as far as 48" and still carry 750 lbs tongue weight. I have one on my truck and they are great. There's really no other hitch on the market that you can extend out that far and still carry the weight without breaking your hitch. Just take out the extension after you unload. It's all attached to your truck not the camper. I guess the first question should have been, does your camper hang lower that the hitch on your truck. If it does then this may not be the answer. May be worth looking at though.

ZONKER
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, I just had a receiver hitch put on my 26 Foot Travel Trailer. In the past I have pulled my boat behind my fithwheel camp trailer. This is a bumper pull trailer and not a fifth wheel, and my boat now is alot heavier that the one before. The hitch I had put on is very stout. But the great thing about pulling your boat behind your trailer, when you get to the lake you have your boat and a place to stay! This is sort of a funny thought but if you think it is hard to back a pickup and camper down the ramp, try doing with a trailer in between the pickup and boat. Just kidding. I might not be the first one to get to the lake but when I get there I am sure going to be comfortable.
Have a good one.101chromefish101101chromefish101

Full_Monte
09-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Full_Monte google Torklift Superhitch. If I remember right you can go out as far as 48" and still carry 750 lbs tongue weight. I have one on my truck and they are great. There's really no other hitch on the market that you can extend out that far and still carry the weight without breaking your hitch. Just take out the extension after you unload. It's all attached to your truck not the camper. I guess the first question should have been, does your camper hang lower that the hitch on your truck. If it does then this may not be the answer. May be worth looking at though.

Good point. I've had my setup about 20 years. I don't think the Torklift was available then....I wish it was. My setup actually puts an upward load on the rear end of the hitch extension, so the hitch weight is counteracted. I don't remember the spec, but I know it's more than 500 lbs. I certainly wouldn't do things like this again...just like I wouldn't have manual camper jacks.

Full_Monte
09-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Well, I just had a receiver hitch put on my 26 Foot Travel Trailer. In the past I have pulled my boat behind my fithwheel camp trailer. This is a bumper pull trailer and not a fifth wheel, and my boat now is alot heavier that the one before. The hitch I had put on is very stout. But the great thing about pulling your boat behind your trailer, when you get to the lake you have your boat and a place to stay! This is sort of a funny thought but if you think it is hard to back a pickup and camper down the ramp, try doing with a trailer in between the pickup and boat. Just kidding. I might not be the first one to get to the lake but when I get there I am sure going to be comfortable.

Zonker,
You have just hit on one of the things I've been thinking about! Pickup campers are expensive for what they give you, compared to trailers. The disadvantage is towing the boat behind it. I wouldn't even try to back THAT down the launch ramp. I guess you must play musical chairs. First, unhook the boat, then deliver the trailer to the campsite, then re-hook the boat, then launch the boat. Then unhook the boat trailer, then go back to camp.
Sounds like a lot of work101dots101 I don't think I've ever seen a setup like that, except in pictures. Do you get a lot of funny looks going down the road? Do you need a special driving license?

ZONKER
09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I think the only funny looks are the ones that are on their way into work and I am on my way to the lake.awesomereport
As far as too much work. I am not on a clock when I go out. I enjoy what I am doing and that means the part about setting up camp, unloading the boat and putting things away. It is all part of the experience and I am greatful that I have the health and a companion that likes to go with me. I try to go where it isn't a burden on people traveling around me or being slowed down because of my speed. But there are a lot of great places to go and places to fish. You don't need a special license to pull a boat and a trailer, but I would take it to a big parking lot and get the feel of it before you take it out on the road if you are concerned. The real thing to remember is give your self time, watch your corners and be mindful of your ablilities with your rig (sounds like advise for about anything you do).101chromefish101chromefish101

lucky23
09-04-2010, 10:45 PM
heres the setup we use to tow down the road even my wife use to drive it out on the freeway with no problems also i'm a commercial driver by trade so don't try this at home boys and girls laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst
thats a 3 axle 37 ft pace arrow ,full dress harley on a bike lift towing a geo tracker 4x4 pulling a 12 ft gamefisher with a 4 stroke motor all the boys toys

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/truckin4fishin/restoringboat035.jpg

khunter
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I launch a 19' Starcraft Superfisherman behind my 26' Jamboree MH. Backing up "blind", when neither the boat nor trailer is visible in the mirrors was nerve-racking initially.

Then I understood that not seeing the boat or trailer was GOOD, meaning so long as they were not visible in either side mirror, the backup was proceeding straight. As soon as they appeared in either mirror, if the intention was to back straight down, I would simply correct until they disappeared and stayed that way.

Obviously, the route must be clear, and of course you can see the water edge and dock, but if you can't see that boat and trailer, it should mean she's stretched out in a straight line behind you.

gonefishing
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM

I have done this for years. First behind a 24 ft travel trailer, and then behind my existing fifth wheel. Now the boat I did this with is gone as I upgraded to a bayliner 2452. So there will be double trips to the Gorge and else where in the future. But, while I double towed, I never had a problem 1. Always know where your going and the right stops and gas stations to fuel at on my trips made it easy. Never drive down a questionable road. Keep tires above 50% tread and always pack your wheel bearing yearly. Don't drive over 80 MPH and all is good.tongue2