PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Ranch Aug, 21-23rd

Rafting4fun
08-25-2010, 01:08 AM
101hearye

It’s late in the season but here are the results….
08/21/10 Limit of 25 kokes in about 4hrs. The kokes have turned quite a bit over last week. I would guess catch and release by this weekend to pick up some good semi/crimson’s. The fish are healthy and up to 15” and for one a bit above.
Pink Sling Blade U/V with pink hoochie top producer. Whatever color pink is at 50-60’ was the ticket. Second, Dodger/w pink/red hoochie.. did not have to try anything else..
08/22/10 Took the brother-in-law on this one. We boated 18fish and lost a bunch. Same tackle… I bought a shirt in Mazatlan, “SHUT UP AND FISH”… should have worn it…..:)~
08/23/10 got a late start but fishing was still good.. Best fishing was in 62-75’ of water . @ 62’depth 53(D/R) was deadly. In 75’ of water D/R 60’.
While leaded line still produced, there is nothing like catching these kokes on a slingblade… I had to choke my motor down to 1.5 to really get the fish to hit.. On the 21st 1.9 was ok but for the next two days 1.4 to 1.5 was optimal. I need to invest in a trolling plate…
Ok and now a note on the Shuttle Hawk … I nuked the release that comes with it and have gone with the , “Off Shore” … It’s final as that stock release, “SUKS POND WATER” <- no kidding…

Oh BTW, the boys/men?  at The Tackle Shack hooked me up with some Carp Spit (my new friend) and also a very nice Kokanee rod.. All I can say is there is no going back… they did me right and it improved, not only my catch rate, but added an entire new experience for catching these fish.

Post Script: Speaking of releases, while putting the line in the release of the shuttle hawk, I had a koke rip it out of my hand.. the sling blade was maybe a foot in the water… something new for me… take care all and good fishing…. John

kodiak1
08-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Congrats, John. You've had a great learning curve this year. Maybe ask Santa for a trolling plate. On my last boat I had the plate that works automatically on springs, so you never have to worry about lifting the plate and wreaking havoc! Really liked it. Mike

Rafting4fun
08-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Mike
Yes, even though I have been catching Kokanee for years (while trout fishing) or the old hand lining method, this is the first year I've actually targeted Kokanee. I have learned a great deal from many folks on this forum and thanks go out to the many of you for chiming in, especially you Mike.
The new pole is awesome, and I really need to leave some of my old ways.
BTW, do you remember the trolling plate (brand) you had? I'll do the research and have read that some models fatigue (prematurely) with time. Who knows maybe Santa will bring me a different boat. I feel stuck with a 21' Monterey bowrider, and old faithful the 17.5 Basstracker... I did manage to sneak two pole holders on the big boat... that made the wifey very happy :(

Good fishing to all, John

kodiak1
08-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes; it is the Trol-a-Matic. Cabelas shows it on their web site. Go there and read the reviews. Most everybody loves it. I had it on an Evinrude 50 2 cycle and it would allow me to fish for mackinaw at .5 mph. Some of the reviews point out that they lost a mile or two per hour. By the way, it also acts as a stabilizer. A bit pricey though. But a lot cheaper than a kicker for sure. Most of the reviews gave it 5-stars. I would do the same. Mike

lowe1648mt
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
For an owner reveiw of the troll-a-matic, return to general discusions -boats and motors- please.

redmanjr1
08-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Great post John. Has anyone gone up the river to watch the kokes come in for the spawn? I've heard about it but not seen it. Heard it's impressive.

Bob

Rafting4fun
08-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks Redmanjr1, I just had some friends tell me about their experience last year at Baumgardner campgrounds. They told me they were so thick you could walk on them... It's the third report now that I have received now like that. I can't wait to see them.. I don't know how far up you have to go for the view. I would assume not too far because it's not much of river right now... I'll look through some posts and see if I can narrow down the time of year... I'll let you know what I find... John

kodiak1
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
We were at Deadwood yesterday--just taking a ride--and Kali and I walked down to the F and G weir. Quite a sight. Thousands of (nice-sized) kokes. Fish and Game told us they are arriving at approx. 2500-3000 a day. They aren't collecting eggs yet. They test them every day, and they are still too "tight". This is the egg collection that used to occur at Anderson Ranch. These eggs will provide plantings for the entire state. Very nice fellow working there; he waded across the river to answer our questions. At one point an osprey flew across the river, and the kokanee absolutely panicked. Quite a sight, but you will have to eat some dust to see it!!! Mike

Rafting4fun
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Mike thanks for the info. I have not been to Deadwood res in years. The last time up I took the Warm Lake route. Time before I negotiated the Scott Mtn RD... (big mistake) it was in horrible shape. I'm assuming it still is. I was reading an article re: the collection site. Didn't they move it from Anderson and now considering moving it back, at some expense? I caught a few kokes up there in the 12" range and some cut's. I didn't try for Atlantic Salmon. I hear it can be good fishing up there, however; the road in makes me think twice but its beautiful country. BTW, I experimented with stalling the shuttle hawk on its way down to terminal depth. I watch it via Lowrance HD , on its way down and follow it up as well. The green trail is distinct. I suspend the travel to target different schools and while it worked a few times, I don't think it's worth trying to yank it out of the release, and who's to say I wouldn't have been bit on it's normal descent.(which also happens) I don't like hooking it in that tight. Sometimes brute force worked but I also experimented with slack line as it definitely slows the descent but then you lose the bite/feel and unless the fish just rips it out your at a disadvantage. Bottom line, I'll take the shuttle hawk every time over cranking a manual D/R up/down from 60'. Just my2cents John

kodiak1
08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Actually, the road in from Lowman was in very good shape. The road from Deadwood to Cascade was in worse shape. The biologists said the road that ends up west of Lowman was "a nightmare". The Fish and Game have not planted Atlantic salmon in Deadwood for many years now. They aren't currently present, I believe. However, I noticed they planted chinook in there for the past two years. Interesting, but I would hate to drag my boat in there over those roads! Mike

redmanjr1
08-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm not familiar with deadwood. Where abouts is it?

Bob

Rafting4fun
08-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Fr Garden Valley, drive E. on S. Fork River Rd. Turn N. on Scott Mtn.Rd.(FS Rd. 555),go 26 mi.Road is steep sometimes washed out<--- Ya think? 101noway101
.Alt.route from Lowman:drive 36 mi.NE Hwy.21; 28 mi.W. FS Rd. 579,11 mi.

There is a third route. Cascade, e/on Warm Lake road/ after Warm Lake take the right y u come too and you will drop into it from the north Side.

Unless you just want to beat the piss out your boat, car, and other equip, I would stay off the Scott Mtn Road. I have been up the wash board road twice now, and until they fix it won't go that way again.

It's beautiful country, and Deadwood has a good Kokanee pop. Cheers to you and good luck if you go up.. John

redmanjr1
08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks John. Wife and I will do that as a Saturday trip to check it out. Sounds like a nice scenic drive if I stay on the right road.

Bob

kodiak1
08-28-2010, 12:56 AM
The roads are well-posted. Listen to RaftingforFun when he says to stay off Scott Mtn. Road. It is the road from hell, I hear. The road from Lowman was really quite nice, with very few ruts. Mike

luckykoke
09-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I go to Deadwood all the time for work and I prefer the Scott Mountain road. I probably wouldn't pull a boat up the road, but I would just drive my truck up and down it. Was there just there Sept 13th and went up and back on that road. Per other questions, fish and game moved the weir down to Anderson Ranch last year but decided to move it back up to Deadwood this year due to spawning times of the Kokes on Anderson. No chinook were caught in the weirs as of last Monday at Deadwood. Will be interesting to see what comes up river in a few years. Might be some monsters up there. The koke fishing is always good.
Lucky