PDA

View Full Version : Where to fly fish Kokanee in the Fall?

crdp84
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I am new to the area and am looking for some salmon fishing. I'm from the East Coast and am going to miss the run of Kings this year due to my job. I became aware of the Kokanee run in northern New Mexico and its not too far from here. I intend on fly fishing for them; not much of a snagger. I have no real idea of where to fish for them or what patterns to throw. I'm looking for a place out of the way from the snaggers as well. Any help or direction will be muchly appreciated. Thanks!!

Flyguy55
08-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm a flyfisherman and fish the San Juan as often as I can . Most NM kokanee are hatchery fish and return where they are released . Thats where the snaggers hang out.
I have heard there is some natural reproduction up the Pine River. NMFG has a fish trap near the mouth.
4 yrs ago someone stole all the fish and the last 2 yrs have been lean and or small fish.
The area maybe closed to fishing . You should check with F&G .
no info on patterns .

I have read about a Kokanee run up the Gunnisin River out of one of the resivors in Southern CO .

Might be worth checking on .

crdp84
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Good deal! I'm gathering as much info as I can. I think I'll give some sockeye patterns a shot; comets, spankers ect. Thanks

platypus
04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
--Rivers are closed to kokanee fishing in BC however we had an opportunity to catch fish as part of a census study.
--As we had never river fished for kokanee before and several were members of a local fly club we had many interesting patters emerge
--Most succesfull were red or orange small micro leach patters.