PDA

View Full Version : Berry nice but non-productive day-8/21

Dreamcatcher
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I went out to Berry solo last Saturday also but stayed on the main body with hopes of finding those elusive fish. Just couldn't find the concentrations of marks like we had a few weeks ago. Started over by the ranch house on the flats and ran into a few biters but no sticks. Finally figured out they were them little bugger kings. I trolled my way north and still didn't see the marks I needed so pulled the gear in and ran over to the mouth of the narrows across from skiers cove adjacent to the long underwater point. Metered around looking for marks but still no gold. Ran over to near the Berryessa Center between the old Spanish flat and goat and metered around but still no dice. Finally ran over to skiers and saw a few marks so I dropped the gear in. More of them little kings including a healthy 18 incher. Trolled over to the river channel and followed it from the mouth of the narrows thru to the big island. Ran into a nice beautiful 24 inch class king and let it go to win me the big king side pot next year (hopefully). Kept trolling to 1st bathroom at the big island and finally metered some nice koke marks. Trolled a few zig zags and circles to stay on them fish and scored 6 kokanee from 72 feet OTW with a mad cow spinner and dodger but none of the big 18 inchers we are use to getting. Kept 3 of the 15 inchers for the frying pan. The ski boats got real annoying as the area by the bathroom is also a high traffic lane for them buttheads. Eventually, the traffic put the bite down. With the bite killed, I trolled across to the east flats where I ran into my biggest koke of the day. The hardest part about fishing solo is landing a nice fish. Had the fish right behind the motor but come unbuttoned when I was reaching for the net. Oh well, next time that fish is toast. Around 4ish, the wind picked up to a “no fun” level so I packed it up and headed back to the ramp. Is it striper season yet?

KokeDealer
08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the recon Al

I've been relunctant to give up on them also

SuperD
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I've fished the last 2 fridays for a couple small fish each trip. I've given up on them until you guys report limits of the big fish again. I think it is time for me to put the Koke tackle away for the year.

scored 6 kokanee from 72 feet OTW with a mad cow spinner and dodger but none of the big 18 inchers we are use to getting. Kept 3 of the 15 inchers for the frying pan.

The surface temps have been 76° to 78° so the other 3 might as well been in the frying pan too. There's no Koke catch and release in August in my opinion.

Dreamcatcher
08-24-2010, 12:49 AM
The surface temps have been 76° to 78° so the other 3 might as well been in the frying pan too. There's no Koke catch and release in August in my opinion.

You may be right Super D. If I had a buddy with me I probably would have boxed em too. But when you think you've finally found the fish after all that dead time, and the prospect of 18 inch fish is on the brain, the idea of going home early with 12 inch kokes is not appealing. No floaters though. Kwik flip with my dehookers at the side of the boat and back down they went. Does it make me less guilty? Probably not.

HiTechKoke
08-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I followed up on Sunday and based on a tip and photos of some fish at the dam I started out there with my Mom. We lost a decent Koke at the boat and and then we were bothered by juvenile kngs. One more small 10 inch Koke and we bailed for the main body but all we could drag up was a nice clean trout that was 16 inches. Just not marking a lot of fish either and more were marked at the dam.

This year is a bit unique in we do not have the deep thermocline like previous years as they can be in thte 50 foot range still given the water temp at that depth. A koke was caught at 40 feet was reported Sunday which is roughly 62 degree water.

Past records indicate the usual hit and miss at Berryessa this time of year but I do want to get a good Vampire trip in this year.

Kevin

MJCook6
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the reports guys...must be tough when the pros are strugglin...

With the full moon barely passing im hoping for it to be hit not miss saturday...

Wishful thinking?? maybe...but it will beat sitting on the couch...
Looking forward to a chilly morning with my bud as well...fish will be a bonus...

MJ

SuperD
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
A little bird told me that Troy is back on the water and knows where they are at. That's a big surprise isn't it?

MJCook6
08-26-2010, 12:46 PM
He can run but he cant hide...hahah