PDA

View Full Version : Odell Lake Tournament08/21/10

kokaneekid
08-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Kokanee Power of Oregon Tournament at Odell Lake 08/21/10

I was really excited to fish the Odell lake tournament, and really wanted to see how big the fish up at Odell were. After the pre-fish on Friday with my sister Rachel, Nephew Niilo, Dad Chester, and Wife Debbie I knew it was going to be a tight weigh in. The fish at Odell lake are running 10 to 13 inches and I knew I needed five 13 inchers for the weigh in on Saturday to have a chance. I wouldn’t call the fishing at Odell lake, “HOT”, but the fish are in great shape with a deep red color and are running from 100 to 40 feet. Most of the fish we caught were at 90 feet, but we were fishing very deep to try and pick up the bigger kokanee, and not the numbers I normally fish for.

Gary Coe & Ron Walker won the tournament with Wayne Doume coming in as a close second. We ended up in fifth place and my nephew Niilo got Second in the junior division, and yes I did net the fish without being told just in case Cannon was wondering.
We brought home 40 really nice kokanee, not too bad for a weekend of fishing. The lodge and Shelter Cove is a great place to stay at and you’ll feel right at home as soon as you show up. They held an Oyster feed for the tournament participants and it was a great opportunity to meet and exchange information with a ton of top notch fisherman. We had a great trip and I have already booked my spot for next year’s tournament. I hope everyone gets a chance to fish a tournament, and if you are planning on fishing at Odell lake check out Shelter Cove resort, make sure you tell Jim & Trula Kielblock that the kokaneekid sent you. You can reach them for reservation at 1-800-647-2729.

See you all at Diamond Lake on September 25 & 26 at the next Kokanee Power of Oregon Tournament.

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

kenamatic
08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Good to finally meet you. We got most our fish deep (to 90 feet). What kind of fillet knife did you say you have, in case I replace my Rapala?

kokaneekid
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Good to finally meet you. We got most our fish deep (to 90 feet). What kind of fillet knife did you say you have, in case I replace my Rapala?

By the looks of things I'm not sure you need to replace your Rapala, your fillet job looked great... I use a Cutco knife, but I sure any high end fillet knife would work. The difference is having to sharpen the knife I did all 40 without having to sharpen once, and I'm sure I could do another 40 without any issues. Are you going to fish Diamond Lake?

Fish On kokaneekid

kenamatic
08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
By the looks of things I'm not sure you need to replace your Rapala, your fillet job looked great... I use a Cutco knife, but I sure any high end fillet knife would work. The difference is having to sharpen the knife I did all 40 without having to sharpen once, and I'm sure I could do another 40 without any issues. Are you going to fish Diamond Lake?

Fish On kokaneekid

Thanks for the info, it would be nice to not have to sharpen my knife so often. As for Diamond, we archery hunt so IF we get an elk (I have been seeing two fair bulls on the trail cam) and two deer by then maybe but we cut our own. I guess the actual answer is no we will not be there. Already looking forward to the first one next year (Billy Chinook or Crescent?). Good luck at Diamond.

dawson1922
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Is there kokanee in diamond lake? Been there a couple of times and all i cought were rainbows.

kokaneekid
08-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Is there kokanee in diamond lake? Been there a couple of times and all i cought were rainbows.

No kok's at Diamond Lake just rainbows, and your guess is as good as mine to why we are fishing that lake.. All I know is it's a great opportunity to hang out with some great fisherman and learn a thing or two. I got a chance to talk with Gary Coe for awhile, and got some great information about kokanee fishing out of him, and some good ideas.

Fish On kokaneekid

HiTechKoke
09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
and just in case you didn't catch the results on the KP site for the Odell derby... here they are...there are a few familiar names here... congrats Ron on the very tight finish in the hundredths of an ounce.

Here's the results from the Odell Lake Derby

Adult Team Division - Team Weights in Pounds for 5 fish

1st
Ron Walker 4.01
Gary Coe

2nd
Wayne Douma 3.98
John Ward

3rd
Matt McWhorte 3.92
Tina Williams
Tom Nichols