PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor on Cavation plate

ZONKER
08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
My Minn Kota has sheared a pin and I am having a hard time finding parts.
I am thinking of getting a cavation plate trolling motor. I have a 17 foot glass boat and I figured on getting a 80 thrust, two battery minn kota.
Any body have any input on what I should or should not do?????????

lowe1648mt
08-18-2010, 11:12 PM
It will severly limit your maneuverability . What boat are you putting it on? The outdrive has limited range of motion compared to an independent trolling motor.

Rafting4fun
08-19-2010, 02:19 AM
ZONKER, have you considered making your own shear pin? I might have missed a detail or two on your post, however; if it's just a pin, and you cannot find one, try making your own. There is an argument re: original equip-vs-makeshift, but I have done it and worked well. Obviously, the shear pin is designed to save your propeller. I sheared one and actually used a piece of copper wire to replace it.. If it gets you going for awhile... why not??? There are some softer metals out there to consider but I have used something as crude as a clothes hangar to bail me out in a, "make shift" situation.... cheaper than a new troller.... good luck, John

ZONKER
08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I was just thinking that it had to be a shear pin but it is on the top of the motor and not down by the prop. I talked to the guys at Cabela's today and they thought that I just needed to top part of the motor that flipped off when I lost control. This part has the red arrow that shows you where your prop is headed. I will call Minn Kota early in the morning to see what they can do to help.
I thought that a troll motor on my out board motor with the control by my stearing wheel would be easier to use that the foot up in the front of the boat when I am using downriggers in the back.
Thanks for your imput!!!!!!!!101chromefish101101chromefish101

Rafting4fun
08-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Ok, at this point I would then echo lowe16t48mt, as it will severely limit your turning capability.. give me some more history on your unit, I may have one that might fits your needs.... let me know, good fishing to you, John

ZONKER
08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
There isn't a size on the trolling motor but the numbers on the head is:EV993010157 and also 773171. I was looking on the internet at minn kota and there is a kit that gives you the direction plate that goes on top and a couple of washers with gear coggs on them. They said that this is a universal fit for any bow mount trolling motor from minn kota. It was only twenty bucks, so I sent for it today.
We went out on Anderson Ranch last nite and used a sea anchor to keep the speed down. We caught ten salmon around 13-14 range. not a bad bunch of fish to envite some friends over on Sunday for a fish fry.
If this part doesn't work then I will ask for your help, I am the kind of guy that has to do what he can for him self before he will ask for help. But thank you!!
101chromefish101101chromefish101

Rafting4fun
08-25-2010, 01:55 AM
No Probs Zonker, let me know. I missed you by a day.. I was there the 20th but did not fish until the 21st... Fishing was great. I'm like you... I like to figure things out myself, but sometimes, help can save the day.. Good luck, John

ZONKER
08-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I got the missing parts today in the mail. I tore the head apart and found that the housing is wore out. The holes that the screws tighten in are just broken off and there is nothing left to hold the screws in place. I was to late to call Minn-Kota tonight to see about getting a new cover for the head of the motor. The boat is over ten years old and I am sure that the Minn Kota came with the boat, because on the side of the Electric motor it says Evenrude. If I can get the new parts I'm not so sure that I can take it all apart to put the housing on. But that is down the road. Maybe this week-end I just spend the time kleening up the boat and making glide through the water easier.101chromefish101101chromefish101

Rafting4fun
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Zonker that suks. You are closer to solving you prob though. I hope they can help. I wax the bottom of my Monterey twice a year and it does help.

Who knows, maybe its time for a new one... the RF remotes are pretty kewl... good luck.. I ck'd the numbers you posted. The one I have stuffed in the garage is older and does not match :(..

ZONKER
08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
101chromefish101Thanks for checking. It would be nice if I can get parts for this motor but like you said there are some nice selections out there. It would be a lot easier to use a remote instead of the foot control at the front of the boat when all the action is in the back.
I'll keep you updated on what I end up doing.101chromefish101

lucky23
09-04-2010, 10:54 PM
if you do decide to go with the cavition mount motor you might want to google FAQ on them or complaints I heard a lot of bad things one being make sure your motor sits far enough down in the water or it won't work good luck

ctkid
07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
my buddy did the cavitation plate motor and its sweet. yah, your not gonna turn on a dime, but its nice.