PDA

View Full Version : Jig your way to more kokanee

Capt. Pete
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Important tips to maximize your success when vertical jigging to suspended fish…
Many times on the water, boaters will come up to us and ask why we are hooking fish and they are not. It is an average day for two of us to hook between 75-125 kokanee using the following technique. In most cases, the difference is paying attention to detail and fishing with the right equipment.
It’s vital to your success to be knowledgeable about the fish you are targeting and properly interpret what you see on your electronic fish finder (turn the fish ID off as it misinterprets baitfish for fish). This is especially true when jigging for suspended fish. For kokanee, I jig with a 5.2 ft mag light G. Loomis spinning rod with extra fast action (reel is spooled with 4-6 lb. braided line for better hook-sets). With this rig, you can enjoy a better fight, on a lighter rod, and still get a good hookset because of the no-stretch braided line. The longer the rod, the less control you have over the jig action and hook-sets. One full revolution on my spinning reel handle equals two feet. If the fish are positioned near bottom, I’ll drop my metal jig to the bottom then reel five full turns if the fish are ten feet off bottom. Conversely, if the fish are in eighty feet of water, but only 30 feet from the surface, I’ll reel in reverse 15 full turns to reach those fish. Remember, fish see up so keep your jig at or above the level of the fish. Best line angle is always straight down. With a quality fishfinder (we use Lowrance), you can follow your metal jig down with the lively zigzag pattern the jig makes on the screen. We exclusively fish (Luhr Jensen) Crippled Herring or (Yellow Bird Products) Kandlefish jigs especially in the hot pink (cerise) finish. Once the jig is stopped at, or slightly above, the inverted “V” fish mark, started jigging with constant, 1 to 2-ft rod lifts. Do not jerk your rod! The Kandlefish and Crippled Herring are loaded with action. You want your jig action to resemble a wounded, or dying, baitfish…an easy meal. Don’t spook the fish with overworked rod jerks that reach for the sky. A long whippy rod, spooled with monofilament line, is a waste of your valuable time and results in poor hook-sets and lost fish. For excellent metal jig information on the internet, Google the “Kandlefish Tech Guide” or “Crippled Herring Tech Sheet”.

Rafting4fun
08-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, awesome report Capt Pete. Welcome to the forums and great posting. I wonder how well that technique would work here. I have only hand-lined for Kokanee years and years ago. I hated it because I prefer the rod action. I used your technique for catching chinook on the straits of Juan De Fuca and it never dawned on me to try it hear for the kokes.
Again welcome and thanks for the post.. John

MackPrince
08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Capt.
Jigging is a very fun way to fish when the fish are schooled up.
-Mack

Capt. Pete
08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey John:

We hammered the chinook salmon in July using this same technique. The only difference was in the rod & reel. I was jigging with a G. Loomis 6 1/2 ft baitcaster with a levelwind reel (10 ft of line per a single levelwind slide). We were vertical jigging 1 1/2 Kandlefish next to the kelp beds, west of Port Angeles. Best finish was glow-in-the-dark. Best fish was a 45 lb king. Most fish were down 30 ft, just under the bait. Three levelwinds (30 ft of line) placed the Kandlefish on the "bullseye". Some photos included showing my fishing buddy, Eric Thomson, from Port Angeles.

Bluknight
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
If you don't mind me asking where do you do your koke fishing?

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Occasionally, Flaming Gorge Res. on the Wyoming side. Mostly on Lake Sutherland, west of Port Angeles. The fish are not Flaming Gorge's size but Lake Sutherland is a lot closer to my Port Angeles home. Most kokes average 15-16 inches. Largest, thus far, is a fraction over 20 inches.

SilverBullets
08-19-2010, 12:25 AM
GREAT write-up Capt. Pete! Down here in Oregon jigging is a very popular way to fish for kokes. Since I switched to braid a couple years back it really helped the hook set. Last year I loaded color metered (different color every 10') and it's made getting down to suspended fish alot easier. I mainly troll but knowing how to jig is a great asset to know. Do you tie directly to the jig or use a duo-lock?

eenakoK
08-19-2010, 01:31 AM
101welcomw
Thanks for joining the board, your information has been great. I look forward to more of your posts and reports!

How much longer do you think the fishing will last at Sutherland? I want to get up there, but I don't know if I am running out of time. I keep hearing the fishing is great up there.

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Great question! I always use a duo-lock snap for two reasons...a) Quick way to change jig colors & sizes; b) Increases action of the jig. As previously mentioned, the Crippled Herring, and Kandlefish, are designed with lively action. As a result, I do not overwork the rod while vertical jigging...basically 1-2 ft lifts. We found, at Flaming Gorge, that we were spooking the lake trout with agressive jigging. After that, I really slowed down the jigging action. At times, I hook larger fish by holding my rod stationary or moving it sideways. Some pros will snap jig a couple of times, once their jig reaches a certain depth, then resume a more rhythmic
jigging motion. This is to initially attract fish from a longer distance.

Tip: If you experience hook-to-line fouling with the snap, you are jigging too hard or the water flow is out of whack, causing a wild lure action. Out on the salt, the prime jig action is when your line is straight down while your boat is on a moving drift.

Thanks for your question. Hope you don't mind the longer version. Best...Pete

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Lake Sutherland should be good until mid-Sept. Prime time is usually around Labor Day. After that, most fish are spawning and this year's run is finished. However, small pockets of next year's spawners can still be found the rest of the year...12-13 inchers. Pete

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 04:25 PM
It's a pleasure be be here and hopefully get more hook-ups for my fellow members. All the best...Pete

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Your tip, on 10 ft braid color increments, is an excellent one!

The only downside to braid, that I previously forgot to mention, is its tendency to get wrapped on the guides, especially with a baitcaster. When jigging, it's always good to place the guide section towards the water to help with this problem. It's hard to beat the two main positives...no line twist and no stretch for guys like me that have a passion for jigging.

Pete

SilverBullets
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
The metered braid is... http://tuf-line.com/products_TUF-Lines_5.html
My sucess rate has really improved with it. I've got it loaded on a spinning reel (with a 10' section of 6lb Maxima) and use a Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/Finesse Model # TXS661MLF rod.
I've found that when their not hitting on the bottom going after suspended ones while doing a slow drift works pretty well. Some days the use of a wind sock helps to keep the jig vertical when there's a breeze and when there's no wind the bow mounted elec gets deployed to get us over new area's until we mark fish.
Got another question... I make alot of my own jigs and use a #6 treble but some days they seem to inhale it. Would you recommend going to a larger size hook? Most store bought jigs I own have the same size treble so maybe that's just the way they hit them? The kokes I get are small... 12-15" size range.
Have you found the kokanee caught jigging off the bottom to be generally larger than the suspended one's where you fish?

Capt. Pete
08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I even use a wind sock on the salt...make a difference!

I hate treble hooks!!!! All Crippled Herrings, and Kandlefish, are equipped with single siwash hooks (wide bend to help prevent jumping fish thowing the hook). Only metal jigs that I know of with this integrity.

Koke size...have not experienced much size difference, hi or lo. Most of my fish are in 55 ft of water at 75-80 ft water depths.

Pete

kokanee_slayer
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks Capt. Pete, and all. This is a great site for sharing information. I'm getting the itch to hit the salt and will probably do so this weekend.

Capt. Pete
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Kokanee Slayer:

The chinook salmon fishing off Port Angeles has died a quick death. Now, we are waiting for the silvers to show up. Will jig for kokanee in the meantime.

Best...Pete

kokanee_slayer
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info Pete.

Torres
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Pete,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and wisdom with us.

Every bit of information you guys share is invaluable for us novice Koke-heads...