PDA

View Full Version : Live near Yale and Swift.. Bought my first boat this year and loving it..

Koke Hunter
08-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,
I just started fishing Yale and plan to try Merwin in early September. I don't have a downrigger yet but just had good luck on Yale with 1oz weight and Luhr Jensen flashers followed by wedding band and white corn. Most fish were in the 140-180 foot depth range according to the Hummingbird. I got 4 keepers in the 12-14" range and turned loose some smaller ones but it was enough to get me excited about doing this on a regular basis. It is less than a 30min haul from my house to Yale so the fuel is almost affordable.
I bought a 90 Reinell 18' I/O with a 350 Chev and after some repairs (most at the dock while I should have been fishing) it seems to be doing very well. I don't have a kicker but the trollmaster plate works well at getting me down to an acceptable speed. It's 4:30pm right now on Sunday and all I can think of is going to the lake.. Didn't get home from the Seahawks game til 2am last night so I didn't make the morning fishing plan.. I look forward to searching the board for tips and hearing your stories.
Russ

Koke-n-a-smile
08-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Welcome aboard! This is a great site, everyone is very friendly and has lots of good advice. There are quite a few of us that fish Merwin, hope to see you on the water!101welcomw

Bluknight
08-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome Koke Hunter - yes it is a blast to fish for these little guys. Glad you are enjoying it. I don't want to add to your expenses but those downriggers make it fun when they start going deep in the summer.

Glad you are having success!

Already thinking about heading back up ahhh. It is a bit of an addiction - but as I once heard someone say...........rehab is for quitters! Feed the need!

I hope to see you out there and share the lucky lure for the day with you.

Bduck
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
101welcomw Koke Hunter. There's a lot you can pickup here and apply it your fishing holes. Unfortunately koke season is winding down but there is still some time to get out. BTW, my 49ers will keep the Seahawks in check this year. worthy12

MackPrince
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the site Koke Hunter. I'll be sure to look for you at the lake(s).

-Mack

SilverBullets
08-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Welcome aboard Koke Hunter...GO SEAHAWKS!!thumbsup

Kokonuts
08-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Better hurry if you are going to fish Lake Merwin, the kokanee are starting to turn pink and they will be spawning soon!

signfishin....Kokonuts

eenakoK
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
101welcomw
Welcome to the site. As everyone has said, there is a lot of information and people willing to help. Just make sure to ask questions..

Koke Hunter
08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Kokonuts,
Here is a newbie question for you.. Are you supposed to stop fishing when the fish spawn or do they just stop biting?

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
I plan to launch at Cresap Bay Saturday morning and give Merwin a go unless someone thinks I should stick to Yale.

MackPrince
08-17-2010, 12:05 AM
The 4 year old fish spawn and the rest stick around. Lots of the koke guys stop when they turn pink because the fish meat gets real soft and it helps promote more natural spawns in the lake. But, the fishing continues for those who don't mind some CnR with the spawners.