PDA

View Full Version : Green Peter 8/14/2010

Snapset
08-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I have had some good days this year at GP, and some slow days, but today was one for the record book (Mine, anyway).

I launched at 5:45 a.m., ran for 1/2 mile and since the wind was out of the east, I started trolling the north shore towards the dam.Hot rod until sunrise was a green 5 1/2" sling blade followed by a green and white hoochie, with tuna oil corn. Fish started the day at 45' and ended up 60-65 feet deep.

I only had one of the above setups so I tarted switching things up until I could get the other rod to produce. Green seemed to be key, as the hot pole later in the day ended up being a simple chrome 4/0 dodger with a lime green hoochie, once again with tuna corn. Started to get some doubles, and worked those areas pretty hard.

I landed 60% of my hits today, which is a 300% improvement over my last few trips. Leaving the motor in gear seemed to be the biggest factor in landing more fish. Walking the fine line between tearing the hook out and letting them flip off at the boat because I took too much time reeling them in leads to second-guessing but today it didn't matter. I had my 25 fish by 12:30, all of them 14-15 inches, and weighing around a pound each. I think this is the heaviest limit of Kokanee I have ever caught.

I caught my last 10 fish between the water quality monitor buoy and the boom. Predictably, the ramp was a zoo. Getting ready to leave ,a nice guy let me into line as I was trapped in the parking area, with no easy prospects for getting into the line.

The fish are starting to morph into spawning mode, but they cut fantastic, and I would guess they will still be worth fishing for at least a couple more weeks.

The last great fishing I had at GP was 1998-2000, but this year is even better than those years. If you have the chance, get up there.

SilverBullets
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
101goodpost101Sounds like a heck of a day Snapset...Thanks for sharing! 101welcomw

kokaneekid
08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a great trip... & the fish at Green Peter are BIG.... Welcome to the Forum and what a way to start out on your first post...

101goodpost101

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com