PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine conditions?

Rooster
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I just finished my summer semester and just got back into town from a trip with the wife and haven't had time to take a drive up to check out the conditions. Can anyone fill me in on what the water level is up there and if the east end is still launchable? Also, how has the fishing been up there? Have they started to turn or is it worth my while? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kokaholic
08-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Fishing has been good, go back and read the past posts which will provide you with much needed info, depending on what size boat you have, the east launch is about toast unless you have a boat you can launch by hand. Use the first launch and you should be fine.

wiperhunter
08-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I would not waste my time going to the pig until the spawn is over. The lake is closed for taking kokes that are turning red, so that leaves the really small ones and they are or were closed mouthed this weekend. I know of three seperate groups that went up over the weekend and I think a total of five kokes were caught. WH

kokaddict
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Just a quick update for those looking to hit the pig this winter....the road is again, back open and cleared of the falling trees that plagued it after our last snow.

The road is packed but easily doable to get up to the lake. Launching a boat, even super small ones is no longer possible as the ice has frozen about 10-15 feet out. It's too thick to (easily) break through with the weight of a boat. There is a lot of open water still, but the ice really isn't close to being safe to walk on more than a few feet out yet.

With this weeks' colder temps, I'll check it out Friday or Saturday and post an update on the progress of the ice.

Until then, stay warm!

-Addicted

Kokaholic
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Marlow, Keep us posted!

kokaddict
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
After fishing Bear Lake on Sunday, took the kids over to check out Porquipine yesterday. The road all the way up and beyond the damn is snow packed, but graded and easily accessible with 4 wheel drive.

The ice was 6.2 - 6.5 " thick at the damn, only about 3.5-4" thick farther east. We stopped by the "boat ramp" and let the kids play around on the ice and 'walk on the lake for a bit' and the dog enjoyed some play time too.

Despite a poached deer, the only other thing on the lake was a group of 4 guys working the pipeline from Colorado who had been fishing all morning and hadn't landed anything. There were packing up and heading home as we were wrapping up our fun, they weren't happy with the conditions or the fishing. It had warmed up to 13 so I'm not sure what they were complaining about.

Anyway, its frozen enough for fishing on the West end out several hundred yards and ready when you are! Should any of you boys further South make it up this way and like some company, please drop me a line. Having never iced fished, I'm intrigued by the concept and would love to meet with you and see your successes! I'll bring your hot beverage of choice!

Cheers!

Bduck
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Marlow, this should be good news to the ice cube dwellers. I have to wait and see if I'm going to ice fish. There seems to be the usual overtime going on at work and I'm wanting to build a couple bucks for the ISE in
March. I do want some ice time too.

wiperhunter
01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Went to the pig today but the kokes did not want to play, we checked the ice from the first launch to that area by the spring before you get to the second launch and the ice is about the same 7 to 8". The road at the bottom is torn up a little because of the pipeline they are installing. We never put it in 4x4, not much snow on the ground or the ice.

Bduck
01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks Curt. Sounds like the 'PIG' is ready for some serious ice fishing.