PDA

View Full Version : Paulina 8/12

SilverBullets
08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Decided to try to get a limit of kokes the hard way today. Since I pay to license a 9' inflatable pontoon (got a 30lb thrust minkota) I thought I'd give it a try for kokanee fishing. I have to break the whole thing down to get it inside the truck canopy and after arriving at the lake at 6am and getting it filled up, together and stocked with gear I was out on the water at the crack of 8am. crymeariver I've got it rigged up with a couple scotty rod holders and a fishfinder but no downrigger so I decided to go redneck and use a piece rope with a 4lb ball and Offshore clip. Lets just say I have a better appreciation for the real thing now! thumbsup I did get 1 koke on this set-up but it was small and released. After trying to lower a ball attached to rope while fighting snags and knots and holding the rod and trying to steer straight it wasn't worth it.laugh hyst I also brought the jigging rod and decided maybe that might be a easier way to go. By then the wind came up so I deployed the anchor (10lb lead) and I started jigging only to see the depth getting deeper and deeper on the fishfinder. At first I thought the anchor wasn't holding but soon discovered I was bringing up nothing but line...the clip came open leaving the anchor on the bottom. 101shock1101 Well, at that point I figured a rock would do the trick so I tied one up and went out to find a spot that held fish. I let this red-neck anchor down only to find out it wasn't big enough to hold so I clipped the 4lb downrigger weight on and sent it down the anchor line. Finally the anchor was holding but the jig got wrapped up on the line a few times and the whole works had to be brought up and lowered back down just for the exercise. After a few more mishaps I was finallly able to fish!! I guess I lucked out with the spot I ended up at due to seeing ALOT of action on the fishfinder. Within an hour I had my limit and it was time to call it quits...what a day! All fish in the 12-13" range and the jig today was a P-Line tipped with koke special scented corn and koke special gel.

kenamatic
08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
What a day!! You EARNED those fish. way to go.

Koke-n-a-smile
08-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Way to hang in there! When stuff like that happens, it is always funnier the next daylaugh hyst

eenakoK
08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
awesomereport
Thanks for sharing your report and determiniation..

DLM
08-13-2010, 12:29 PM
The way that story started out I was wondering if Larry and Moe went fishing too.laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

Thanks for a great report, good job on the fish also.

Doc_Rhen
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Way to persist and get your fish. I often wonder when I see posts about making redneck downriggers (most extolling the perfect operation of such and how the other guys are silly for paying pre-fabricated riggers) whether they are really worth the effort.

SilverBullets
08-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Way to persist and get your fish. I often wonder when I see posts about making redneck downriggers (most extolling the perfect operation of such and how the other guys are silly for paying pre-fabricated riggers) whether they are really worth the effort.

Hey Doc... Good to see you here! 101welcomw