PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Ranch Aug 12th

Rafting4fun
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, lets just say I did not boat as many as Kokiak1 :(. I had fun though. Started at the Dam, (elk creek?) and caught two in the first minute. After the 3rd 10incher I decided to move. Rather than pull the gear and go for it, I started trolling up the res. I did not find anything decent for at least 5mi. I started marking some pretty good schools and started getting hit. I only boated 10fish and I lost at least that many on the leaded line pole. Leaded line Les Davis with a red wedding ring. The action traded back and forth from the Sling Blade to the Les Davis. The Les Davis had a single egg hook. I like the sling Blade and this is my first trip out with the Sling Blade w/ Pink Hoochie... and let's just say, I like it!! I only lost one fish on the R&K hoochie... wicked hooks... ...
I used the Shuttle Hawk for the first time and , "I"M ALL IN"!! I really liked it. Small learning curve and fairly intuitive. The release, once adjusted, worked flawlessly until the wind came up. I switched to an Off Shore but after the wind came up (brutal) the bite was off for me at 1300hrs.
NOTE: Where the Shuttle Hawk slides onto the D/R line and locks into place, there is a little c-ring that is embedded into the plastic designed to protect the Shuttle Hawk as it slides up/down the D/R cable. Mine lasted for 4 fish and now resides on the bottom of AR.
Once I found them I had a couple of double on and even got hit while the Shuttle Hawk was on it's way down. (fun)
I did my best fishing in 25' leaded line and 40' D/r in 135 to 165 feet of water. I forgot my Night Crawlers and experimented with corn. I tried ShoePeg with Anise and Tuna. Overall, the tuna scent out performed (natch) shoepeg.
DO OVER?.... I would skip the Dam and perhaps find another launch up the res. I wasted a lot of time looking for fish.. Dial in my motor in my driveway instead of on the water duh... I had trouble getting it to troll under 2.1... I did better between 1.4 and 1.7. Try to pick a day with less wind. The wind came up around 1200hrs and by 1300 its was brutal and stopped the bite for me. Hire a designated driver so I can run two lines at diff depths and relax a bit more :)...John

redmanjr1
08-13-2010, 02:20 AM
John,
Instead of taking the Anderson Dam road go further up highway 20 until you get to the Pine-Featherville road. Take that past the Lime Creek bridge to the first real boat launch (Curlew). Once in the water go straight across the lake and troll back and forth between Lime Creek and then back toward the resort (I never go all the way to the resort). I always seem to have the best luck off the large point going toward the resort. If all else fails there are usually enough boats in the water to let you know where the fish seem to be. Good luck.
Bob

Rafting4fun
08-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Bob, you da man!! The sad thing is, I reasoned the fish would be heading up the river. I brought up several maps, but Curlew was not easily found. I really appreciate you sharing that tip. I have been by there several times but never committed it to memory. I will give it a try and see what happens.. thanks again for the input.. I hear the run (spawn) up the river is pretty impressive even though I have never seen it.. I hope to photo it this year.... Thanks again, John