PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Ranch-Aug.11 & Shuttle Hawk rev.

kodiak1
08-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Kali and I fished Anderson this A.M. for three hours, and boated 40 kokanee. She was using a Jack Lloyd and wedding ring, and I fished with a Shasta UV pink Sling Blade, with an R & K pink hootchie. She was at 38 and I fished 45-50 feet. Shoepeg, natch, soaked in nectar. Everything worked. Kali only lost 3 fish, and the R & K never lost a koke!! Those are some vicious hooks. Just look wrong at them and they'll get you!! Some of the fish are starting to show color, but are still in good shape. They wanted a slower troll, about 1 to 1.3. Lots of fun, and the bite was constant, except for an extended period of no action. Sure enough, no corn. Rebaited, and had a double within a minute. Now, to the Shuttle Hawk. I was anxious to try it, and after a brief learning curve moment, was most happy with it. The only negatives: the Shasta release that comes with it if finicky. I swapped it out with a Cannon release, and had no more problems. It drops more slowly than if you are dropping the cannonball, but... I hooked quite a few fish when it was dropping, and that rarely happens with the normal drop. And, sure enough, up it comes waiting for you when you hook a fish. The poor man's electric downrigger! Just remember to push in on the tab when placing it on the cable, so you don't damage it. A perfect way to stack on one dr. Only had to pull the ball up once the entire morning, and that was when we were leaving. Will be buying one for the other downrigger! Oh, also, if you are trolling too slow, the Shuttle Hawk will not dive down. It also needs a little movement to bring it up quickly. Finally, the last downside is if you have a problem on your boat reaching the water. The S.H. obviously only comes up the the surface, so you might need a hook to grab it and slide it up the last of the cable. We used our salmon hook releases, and they worked great. Mike

Rafting4fun
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Mike, thanks for the good update. I snagged the last S/H he had and hope to use it tomorrow. It sounds like I might as well change the release right now. I will be there in the AM with my new gear that you mentioned as well as S/H. Cannot wait to try it. BTW, do you troll any attractors off the ball?
I can only think of one other bit of info for the S/H. The tip I received, is after you put the S/H on the D/R line wedge a piece of surgical tubing in the beginning of the slot to avoid accidentally losing it. Thanks again for the detailed report.
John

kodiak1
08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Good luck; waiting to hear your report. Mike

redmanjr1
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Great report Mike and WOW, 40 kokes!! Wish I could get back up there but I think I'm done for the year. Sounds like you'll be busy smoking fish in the near future. Have you ever gone up river when they travel for the spawn? I hear that you can almost walk accross them to the other side. I think I'll try to get up there later this year to check it out. Tight lines.

Bob

Lunddude
08-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the report Mike. We're heading out tomorrow after work for 3 days of koke fishing at Anderson. With any luck we should bring back plenty for the smoker. Any size to those fish you caught? Last year about this same time most were right around 15 inches.

kodiak1
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
No 15's in the bunch, but they are nice, hefty fish. They are just thick in there. The depth locator showed fish the whole time. We started out at the ramp and headed straight across. Fished the west side most of the time. Didn't seem to matter. Last time, I lost the first 7 fish I hooked. Was using an Apex, or hockey stick, as the Canadians call them. Never again. I have always had problems sticking them with that lure. But, I think this is the first time I have never lost a fish! I think it had something to do with those strange hooks R & K put on their hootchies. Good luck to you Mike. I am making my last trip up on Monday. Sorry we'll miss you. Mike

Rafting4fun
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Mike, what ramp do you launch from?

kodiak1
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Curlew. Mike