PDA

View Full Version : Trollmatic Trollplate

Bduck
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
My fun ended a little short Saturday afternoon 8-07-10 on the Gorge because I didn't have a spare prop. I'll change that. My trollmatic troll plate broke at one of the springs and when I went into reverse on my main motor, the prop got chewed up by the spring. At first I thought the grinding sound I heard was my outdrive broke. It turned out to be the spring on the trollplate. In fwd gear, the spring would clear the prop but in revearse it would hit. A chunk of blade came up missing causing a vibration. Time to trailer boat. If any of you have this product, check it over. Plastic only lasts for so long. This company that makes its has a good product but needs to beef it up to prevent it from coming apart. This has been on my outdrive for about 5yrs now. I like the concept of how it works but don't know if I'll replace it with another unless there is a better built trollmatic. The other spring also shows signs of getting ready to break free.

SuperD
08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Roger, I can't believe you let a little thing like that shut you down. laugh hyst I see boats at the ramp on a regular basis with more prop missing than that and they act like everything is normal. stomper

Good thing you don't run SS prop or you'd be hurtin' a bit more than you are right now.

Bduck
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Roger, I can't believe you let a little thing like that shut you down. laugh hyst I see boats at the ramp on a regular basis with more prop missing than that and they act like everything is normal. stomper

Good thing you don't run SS prop or you'd be hurtin' a bit more than you are right now.

Alot of people don't realize that this little chunk missing can cost you an outdrive. The balance was so off, you could feel the vibration throughout the boat. That is flirting with disaster. I deal with vibration on a daily basis with aircraft and seen too many times first hand what kind of damage it causes. I would rather sit around and sulk in a few beers now than pay a great price later. Went down to get an estimate to have the prop rebuilt, $90 with a 2 1/2 week wait. They had new ones there for only $109. Its obvious the route I'm going. I'm ready to get back out there now.

lowe1648mt
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
If you are looking to replace your trollin plate, look into the Happy Troller trolling plate. on E-Bay it sells for 95$ plus 18$ shipping and is made of aluminum. that should eliminate the breakage problem. I have installed these and see no problems with them. they are for motors 50 hp and up I believe they work on I. O.sand O. B. both.
For smaller motors, the Davis Lilfella Troller is for O.B. motors only and sells for 68$ plus shipping on E-Bay.

trollmonkey
08-09-2010, 07:47 PM
If you are looking to replace your trollin plate, look into the Happy Troller trolling plate. on E-Bay it sells for 95$ plus 18$ shipping and is made of aluminum. that should eliminate the breakage problem. I have installed these and see no problems with them. they are for motors 50 hp and up I believe they work on I. O.sand O. B. both.
For smaller motors, the Davis Lilfella Troller is for O.B. motors only and sells for 68$ plus shipping on E-Bay.

I have had a Happy Troller plate on my 50 Johnson for six and a half years and the only problem was breaking the release cord.The plate works great and gets me down around 1.2-1.5 mph .I have the smaller model and would buy another if it were to croak now, besides its cheaper than a kicker motor.2cents