PDA

View Full Version : 8/07/2010 West Hill Pond

SeaDog
08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi!

Well finally got out on WH last night.
5 boats in a group -> all at anchor -> and I'm the only one pulling Kokes!
Great night -> No moon, dead calm, and cool.
Talk about anchoring over the Mother Load!
What a rush -> Though I had to endure some good natured busting from my friends! Awwwwnananana.
In 47 ft. of water and fish holding exactly at 32 ft.
All around 14 inches.101chromefish101
Got my limit of 8.
Salmon dinner tonight and smoking some!tongue2

Best regards,
SeaDog

huntnfishCT
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey SeaDog. Awesome action! Still hitting em on Hali Glow setup?

Been out there a few times earlier in May and had so, so results using shoepeg corn and maggot on a bare hook. I'll have to try enticing them with an ice jig.

Do you let it sit or do you actually jig?

Thanks again for the info. Been fishing all my life, but just recently got into Koke fishing with my son last year. Still learning the ropes! Aggravating at times but thats what makes you go back more determined.

SeaDog
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi HuntnfishCt!

Yeap! Still using a small 1 inch or so Hali glow jig with 2 inch dropper with # 8 or 10 red Gamagatzu octopus hook.
And Yes! I do jig it up and down a foot or two, then stop for a bit.
Hali acts as a weight to get down fast to the 30-40 ft. depth and as an attractor and then they bite the hook baited with 2 maggots and a kernel of shoepeg corn.
Also I'm using a very very sensitive 7 ft. super Ultralight rod.
I can detect the slightest bite, which Kokanee are notorious for.
Once hooked -> I hold on because they will "DOUBLE" my rod over.

Keep a very light drag on your reel and have a net at the ready when you get them to the surface. (Never try to lift the fish out of the water!)
If the fish starts to tail walk or jump -> stick your rod way down in the water to get them to sound or the fish will throw the hook as Kokes have soft mouths.

This system works very well for me, and I lose less kokes.
Kokanee fishing is a real challenging finesse type of fishing and you have to get a feel for your gear and the fish.
Lots of FUN!!!!!!!!

Best regards,
SeaDog