PDA

View Full Version : East Twin 8/06

Fishfinger
08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Fished from 6am until 2 pm, lots of small browns, a few rainbows, boxed 6 kokes and lost one. Kokanee killers in chartreuse and watermelon, tipped with corn, 35-40 down. Biggest Koke was 18.5"

huntnfishCT
08-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Great fish! Nice outing on the lake. Did most of the fish come in the am or throughout the day?

Fishfinger
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
It was pretty steady until about noon

SeaDog
08-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Nice report Fishfinger!

OK! So I'm Cheap! -> Yet still catching Kokes!

Let's see how the costs adds up -> Hmmmmm?

I live 8 minutes from West Hill -> Over 30 minutes to East Twin.(Gas for travel)
No launch fee at WH -> $10.00 launch fee at O'Hare's East Twin.
Nice little store at WH launch for bait, food, drinks, ice cream, etc.
I mostly still fish at anchor for Kokes (+ Trout) at night when it's cooler and the fish are much more active.
Why? fish when the sun is up, gets HOT/HUMID/UNCOMFORTABLE, putting up with SPEEDSTERS, and the fish are staying deeper and less active.

No need to troll using up gas or battery and having to tend to trolling gear and speed.
A Koke hooked, while still-fishing, has all its strength to fight vs a Koke that has to chase a trolling lure to get hooked and used up some of its strength.
I have tried both ways -> Still-fishing is my preference with the fish having ALL its STRENGTH and using ALL of IT for the Fight!
Hooking into a 14-15 inch Koke at 35 ft and having it DOUBLE, and I do mean DOUBLE, my Ultralight or Microlight rod over and screaming line off my reel is such a "REAL THRILL!"
Again that's what I personally prefer.

Going to be a another nice night tonight -> So I'll be on WH!!!!signfishin

Best regards,
SeaDog

Fishfinger
08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Seadog, are you the gentleman in the antuiqe looking wood canoe? Your 8 minutes away? im in harwinton, so im only 15 minutes away.

Yup, just a matter of preferance, i dont do as well still fishing for them as i do trolling.

huntnfishCT
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Hard to argue either way SeaDog. Its a good time fishing under the light on a nice quit night, especially when Kokes are goin in the box.

Trolling is awesome when you feel the hard slam of an attacking Koke or see your rod fly up when the downrigger is tripped.

Either way...when their hit'n, its always a blast no matter how your hook'n em!

Thanks for the reports, good luck and keep em coming.

huntnfishCT
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Fishfinger were neighbors! I'm in Thomaston on the Northfield line. Great report from earlier today. Got me chomping on the bit to get back up there this week to give it another go. Looks like their hitting good!

SeaDog
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Seadog, are you the gentleman in the antuiqe looking wood canoe? Your 8 minutes away? im in harwinton, so im only 15 minutes away.

Yup, just a matter of preferance, i dont do as well still fishing for them as i do trolling.

Yup! That's Me!
But it's a Guideboat not a canoe.
Wider and much more stable than a canoe, and the square stern is great for my 3 hp. motor.
I added more stability/safety with the outboard stabilizers for night fishing.

SeaDog

trollmonkey
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Fished from 6am until 2 pm, lots of small browns, a few rainbows, boxed 6 kokes and lost one. Kokanee killers in chartreuse and watermelon, tipped with corn, 35-40 down. Biggest Koke was 18.5"

Nice looking kokes!They look like they're starting to turn,when do they spawn or at least try to in your neck of the woods?

Fishfinger
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought that might be you, we've chatted at the boat launch before, maybe a year or two ago. That is one neat boat. You should post a picture of it, very unique.
I have a 18' starcraft center console, cream and orange, w/ 2 big penn manuals DR's, looks like crap but fishes like a dream.

Fishfinger
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
trollmonkey, they are turning, males got the hook, and starting to gray up. the girls still look pretty tho. I know they are in the shallows in October, if not before.
Hopefully the DEP will net and collect the eggs, but who knows with this state.

huntnfishCT get up there and catch some, i dont thik there will be any next year at Twin, i havent caught, or have i heard of any younger fish being caught, the smallest one ive got was a 16" female. most have been 17"-19" males

SeaDog
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi!

Not sure if the Ct. DEP plans to net spawners from East Twin because of the Zebra Mussel larve.
I sure wouldn't want any hatchery to become infected with Zebra Mussels.
THAT! Would be devistating!!!!!!
The way I heard it is that the Kokanee in East Twin "NOW" are natural spawned fish.
Guess its going to be a wait and see thing.
In the mean time have fun fishing for the Kokes.

SeaDog

dpepsi
09-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info all! I'm probably going to east twin tomorrow. Still new to kokanee fishing but have fished for trout there for years.

I'm more of a minnow on a hook with a beer in hand fisherman. I don't have trolling rigs so hopefully a dipsy diver can get me down far enough.