PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Best Boat Size for Porcupine & Causey

high_n_dry
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I thinks it's time that I come out of the shadows, introduce myself, and ask a question (finally).

My name is Glenn Steeves (high_n_dry) both here and on the Utah BFT forum. I'm pretty sure this is my first post here, but I've been reading now for quite some time. You all sound like a fun bunch of guys and gals, and I look forward to hopefully meeting up with some of you in the future.

Anyway, here it goes:

I'm dying to catch my first Kokanee, and I'd like to try both Porcupine and Causey Reservoirs. My problem is that I have all the gear I'd need, but my only fishing boat is too big (except for my 8.5 ft pontoon or float tube) which I can't take my wife on.

I've been looking into acquiring a smaller boat for use on these smaller lakes, and would like to know what the best boat and motor size would be. I'm not a big fan of small sided boats as my wife isn't a swimmer, and I'd prefer a deeper hull for those days that the wind kicks up so she can go with me and feel a little safer. Is there such an animal out there?

Any suggestions, constructive feedback, or otherwise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Petty4life
08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
a 14ft aluminum will do you fine for both lakes. i used to fish causey weekly but its been a couble years since ive been up there since i got into bugger boats,porcupine can handle as big as you want to put on it. i fish from a 17ft glass boat and i go high and low water up there. just wish i could get u there morelaugh hyst

high_n_dry
08-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

SuperD
08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
hnd, what size is your boat now? I have fished many small lakes with my boat and as long as the launch is decent, I don't know if there is such a thing as too small of a lake.

high_n_dry
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I have a 22' Hurricane deck boat with a V8 Mercury I/O (heavy), and I pull it with my Tahoe. My biggest concern is always the ramp condition and grade. I've had to use 4WD at starvation a few times when the ramp was wet to pull out so anything not so solid could be a problem if it's on a steep slope.

What is the ramp like at Porcupine?

I'm thinking of loading up my 9' pontoon next week and driving over to see what the conditions are like. Maybe I can jig up a Kokanee, assuming I can find them that is.

I tried to attach a photo for reference.

Petty4life
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
What is the ramp like at Porcupine?

I'm thinking of loading up my 9' pontoon next week and driving over to see what the conditions are like. Maybe I can jig up a Kokanee, assuming I can find them that is.

I tried to attach a photo for reference.

the ramps are dirt.

im thinking about going over there next friday if i dont have to work you are welcome to join me.

Grandpa D
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I fished Porcupine yesterday. [Friday]
Launched at the upper ramp and it was not a fun launch.
The water is now too low for safe launching.
As the boat and trailer entered into the water, the trailer dropped deep into the water, real fast and the transom actually was under water briefly.

When we were ready to leave, I had my Brother in law drive the truck to the lower ramp and I loaded the boat there.
That ramp was still in good shape.

I have a 15' tri hull boat.

By the way several of the Kokanee that we caught were starting to color up.
Last trip up there this year, for me.

agitator
08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I fished Porcupine yesterday. [Friday]
Launched at the upper ramp and it was not a fun launch.
The water is now too low for safe launching.
As the boat and trailer entered into the water, the trailer dropped deep into the water, real fast and the transom actually was under water briefly.

When we were ready to leave, I had my Brother in law drive the truck to the lower ramp and I loaded the boat there.
That ramp was still in good shape.

I have a 15' tri hull boat.

By the way several of the Kokanee that we caught were starting to color up.
Last trip up there this year, for me.

Grandapa D is 100% right on that upper ramp . We put the 18' bass boat in last saturday , turn the bilge pumps on turn on the big HP and do the HELL MARY off the trailertooexcited

Wells
08-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Is there a boat ramp at Causey, or do you have to carry your boat down to the water? If so, where is it located?

Kokaholic
08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Any boat you put onto Causey your going to have to launch by hand and carry in. No Ramp there.

Full_Monte
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
"Every man who owns a boat owns one that is three feet too short". ;)

agitator
08-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Ah yes the old male syndrome it's always somthing that's to short. Thats a good one on you Full_Monte

lowe1648mt
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Boat Dealers call it twofootitis.

Petty4life
08-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Highndry and i went up there today didnt have a problem launching my boatnananana

agitator
08-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Good for you guys . did you launch on the lower ramp ? we are thinking about another trip up tomarrow, we were waiting to hear that thanks.

Petty4life
08-14-2010, 08:12 AM
we launched at the 1st launch place, us and 3 other boats, mine is a 17ft glass boat. from what i could see launching at the back would be impossible for a bigger boat, did see a drift boat launch there

Kokaholic
08-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok, great launch reports, so, how was the fishing? Are thet pinking up yet?

Petty4life
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Ok, great launch reports, so, how was the fishing? Are thet pinking up yet?

fishing wasnt outstanding but we got a few. purple/pink gdf squid worked awesome.

high_n_dry
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks again for our day on the water!. Great company, learned a lot, and beat the heck out of working that day. Super excuse to extend my week off a by couple of days. Would have responded sooner, but had to get ready for that Uintas trip. Spanked the Grayling by the way (at least the wife did she's been rubbing it in good). I stuck to using the fly rod and had a marginal day compared to her. Fly and bubble was the ticket as the fish were out further offshore.

I'd love to meet up with you again. Maybe we can do a Gorge trip next season and I'll bring my boat too.

Petty4life
08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Glen send me the pics you took

Wells
08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I've noticed a lot of you guys are catching them on Squids. Is there any difference between a RMT, Sierra Tackle, or GDF Squids. I know they differ in price a little bit, but is there any difference in performance, durability, ect..

agitator
08-21-2010, 08:36 AM
This is one of those questions like witch moter oil is best you will get100 different answers . I persnonaly went with the RMT because of the quality of the product and the sales force behind it. the price really doesn't matter when you combine these two things , thats my 2 pennys