PDA

View Full Version : To skin or not to skin???

MackPrince
08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm curious to know... when smoking kokes do you normally keep the skin on the fillets or go skinless in the smoker? Does fish size impact your choice?

SuperD
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I believe fish size play a part. I choose to smoke with the skin on one side of a fillet. Kokes being generally small as opposed to ocean salmon, I believe would easily dry out if it were completely skinned. Some might prefer koke jerky but I like my fish to have a little moisture left in them.

DLM
08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I believe fish size play a part. I choose to smoke with the skin on one side of a fillet. Kokes being generally small as opposed to ocean salmon, I believe would easily dry out if it were completely skinned. Some might prefer koke jerky but I like my fish to have a little moisture left in them.
101goodpost101 movie89586

SilverBullets
08-05-2010, 11:42 PM
All my fillets go skin side down in the smoker.

lowe1648mt
08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
As I own as townsend fish skinner, I skin all my fish. As to kokanee Kerky, I leave small koks whole and smoke a shorter time. Large koks will be fileted and skined. also smoked a shorter time than with skin on. Just personal pref.

Fishfinger
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I smoke with skin on until the will skin pull off easy, then i pull all the skin off and continue smoking until the doneness i want

Torres
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I've left the skin on all of the fish i've smoked. I know some people who like to eat the skin too.

It's all personal preference.

HiTechKoke
08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm on the "skinless" side of this. I also spoon off the fat from the lateral line area after smoking so it does not have the bad fat flavor mix with the meat. Call me picky but that's what I like to do. I also turn my fillets and baste them at the very end to add various flavors.

Kevin

HiTechKoke
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
and speaking of smoked kokes... SKINLESS... these just came out of the smoker... ohh so good!

lowe1648mt
08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Thats a pretty picture. I think I can taste them as I sit here. Got to get back out and catch some more koks. Thanks for the inspration.

DLM
08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm on the "skinless" side of this. I also spoon off the fat from the lateral line area after smoking so it does not have the bad fat flavor mix with the meat. Call me picky but that's what I like to do. I also turn my fillets and baste them at the very end to add various flavors.

Kevin

Do you take off the skins before smoking or do you smoke for awhile and then take the skin off?

SilverBullets
08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Kevin

One trip last year I headed up to the lake and didn't have a chance to read in the morning paper. A green algae alert had gone into effect up Paulina. Half the lake was fairly clear and the other half was like pea soup. We brought home a limit so during the smoking process I removed the skin and spooned off the fat underneth just to be on the safe side. Normally I leave the skin on to help hold in the moister. I just might have to try out your method with the next batch...what kind of baste flavors to you use?

HiTechKoke
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
DLM - Before the smoke and the only bones left are the pin bones. I do this all up front but you could smoke with rib bones and take them off post smoke but then it might break up the fillets.

My method is documented here with my own tips:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showpost.php?p=6947&postcount=11

Silverbullets - see the post about two down from the link above. Essentially I use the same marinade and then put spices into that baste. My recipes are more marinade and not a salt brine. You could do anything you want at that point. It's essentially the last 40 minutes...baste on top let them smoke in for 20 minutes, turn them over and baste and finish with 20 minutes. After experimenting a few years it is just my way of doing it and my freeloading customers seem to keep coming back for more!

Kevin

Kevin

BonkinKokes
08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Skin on. Yum.

AvidOutdoorsman
08-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Of all the fish that I've smoked I've left the skin on. Mainly because it is easier to take the fillets off of the racks. And I don't have to worry about picking up chunks of fish from the bottom of the smoker.

mrmike
12-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I do a honey brine and never take the skin off

Calcan
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Is there a recipe page ???

SilverBullets
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Is there a recipe page ???

here's what's listed under the recipe archive's...hope that helped.
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/archive/index.php?f-25.html

Bluknight
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Apparently an old thread I missed.

I have been smoking filleted with skin on but I'm intrigued by the skinless. My concern would be ---- how do you keep them from sticking to the smoking rack? HiTech those look AWESOME!!!!