PDA

View Full Version : Is Baker Lake a good Koke lake?

Eastside3
08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
After years of away from fishing Im back and looking forward to some Kokanee fishing. We used to enjoy the central cascade lakes of Oregon such as Odell and Crecent and since moving to Washington havent heard much talk about Kokanee. Im headed to Baker lake on August 18th and I was curious as to whether Baker Lake has any good Kokanee fishing and whether jigging is very effective. Thanks

lowe1648mt
08-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I recently visited another fishing site. It gave several reports on Baker. They were dated 7-15 thru 7-18. The reports said that Baker was hot for sockeye. I went to the fish and gme special rules site and for baker the rule is, under 18 inchs its a kokanee and over 18 inches its a sockeye. That is seperate limits.Fish were being caught to 7.5 lbs.
Iwent to Baker last Sunday-the 1st of Aug. and there were few fish caught. I did see a 5 to 6 lb. fish in a cooler as fish and game was at the launch ramp when I came back in. I did see several fish on the d.f., at 15 to 30 feet in the middle of the lake due east of the Shannon creek boat launch and camp ground.
Good Luck

William Dewey
08-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I was there on the second day of the sockeye opening. It took me a while to
drive there and did not arrive till about 8:30am. and a few people were
leaving with fish. I launched and headed slowly toward the same Shannon
creek area. The lake was like glass and the mountain was right over head
pretty impressive sight. As I trolled around the area I did see 4 or 5 fish
caught but things were pretty slow. about 10:00am. I rigged up a kokanee
trolling rod and trolled closer to the East shore this resulted in a 24in
Dolly Vardon but no Kokanee. About 2:30pm. the wind came up & I quit

This was my 1st time fishing the lake but 3 or 4 years ago my wife and I
drove in there by the dam ramp. I talked to a couple of old timers that had
been still fishing maggots across the lake and had a bucket with several 12in. Kokanee in it.