PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Peak, August 3rd

Kokanee Vandal
08-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I finally got back on the water after 6 weeks away. Great day. Didn't get up to Spring Shores until a bit after 7:00. Went to the point across from the dock and started trolling. I have been monitoring all of the posts from afar and have been excited to know that the fishing has picked up since I left.

Put a pink sling blade with a pink kokanee killer on one rod and a chrome dodger with a pink hoochie on the other, both were tipped with Berkely Gulp white maggots (you can whine all you want about advertising, but that's what I was using so deal with it). My GPS died, but before it did, I was trolling at around 1.4 mph. Nothing until the first cove, then I hooked a smaller koke but lost it at the boat. Not long after, landed a 14", not bad, but not what I am used to.

After losing 4 more I was getting angry and impatient. Switched the chrome dodger rig to pop gear with another pink kokanee killer. Nothing for a bit, but then hold on. Within 20 minutes I had 5 more and was done at 11:00. I had double after double, and couldn't even reset one rigger and the other was bouncing! Great fun!

Two fish were smaller by LP standards, but the others were near 19" and were all males, starting to turn and showing the hook jaw. They hit like hammers and were a great fight. Again, unable to check my speed, but definitely faster than usual. Glad to be home and glad to have a reason to fire up the Big Chief!

ZONKER
08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
You did a great job of telling of the day's adventure. If I can't go out it is sure nice to hear that someone else went and had a great time. I could smell the smoke from your smoker when I got home from work.101chromefish101101chromefish101101chromefish 101awesomereport

redmanjr1
08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the great post. I'm planning to hit LP on Thursday morning and hope I have the luck you did.

Kokanee Vandal
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
I forgot to tell you all the depth. I found them between 20' and 25'. Good fishing to you all!! 101chromefish101

kodiak1
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Way to go, Kokanee Vandal! You probably needed a good respite after enduring all the Vandal bashing that has been going on in Boise the last few days. I don't imagine you invited President Kustra along on your fishing trip!! Mike

Kokanee Vandal
08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Your right about that one Mike. I don't think Bronco Bob would have made it back to the dock. laugh hyst

ZONKER
08-05-2010, 02:50 AM
My wife and I went out for a couple of hours before dark tonight. We fished in front of LP Dam. Needless to say, we weren't the only ones enjoying the evening. Even though the water was choppy, we caught enought for breakfast in the morning and enjoyed a beautiful sunset together. Great to have LP so close to enjoy. Green hoochies were the color of choice tonight.
101chromefish101101chromefish101

kodiak1
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
We too were out last evening (Wed.), and fished S. Shores. Wondered why we were graphing so few. We were at 20 feet on one d.r., and stacked the second one at 35 and 50. Very little action. I soon figured that they had either moved out of area, or were on top. That was where they were. Go figure. Water at 72, bright sun, 98 degrees. Why aren't they down deep? . Started picking up some at 15 feet. No big ones, and the action was still somewhat slow. Beautiful night, though. Mike

redmanjr1
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Fished LP today at Spring Shores and the action was slow/sporadic. Very few fish on the fish finder untill we decided to go further up the narrows toward LP dam. Found a huge school and all were at 18 to 24 feet. The problem was they were not biting. Tried many different setups and we did get some action. The lure of choice were UV sling blades and pink hootchies and wedding rings. We fished until a little after 2:00 and only boated 14 fish. We did lose about 10 - 12. I think if we would have found the fish much sooner, like during the morning bite things may have been different. Had fun my first time at LP may go back this weekend.

Bob

Rafting4fun
08-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Went out last night. Got there at 5:30pm launching off Barclay. Nothing for a bit and @ 1800hrs started banging into them. I was using pop gear with a N/C Which was outdoing the D/H (dodger Hoochie). The N/C produced the biggest fish which was only 15". The D/H was getting hammered with "FireCorn" RED. on a chrome Dodger with a pink hoochie. I counted 27 boats, 5 sit down jet skis, and 3 stand-up skis. I was not looking for frustration rather just seeing if I could catch some Dam fish. I actually think the boats helped the action on the poles. So it was near the Dam that I caught them. I lost count of how many fish i lost. I almost tied a snubber to the N/C pole. I think I would have lost less fish. I had one double and over all pleased with the catch. The smaller kokes were "Dime Bright" with the largest turning crimson.
This is the second trip with no action on the D/R. I was six colors out on one pole and 5 colors out on the hoochie.
The fish hit the most btwn 1800 and 2015 hrs. AT 2015 the kokes were done and the trout were on. Soooo 4 kokes and 2trout. I considered this a good night with all the boats out.
I did not mark near the fish I usually do in the narrows. Trolling speeds were a bit slower for me 1.5 -1.8 and sometimes 2.2. I also motor mooched a bit over different schools which also produced strikes. The dodger action died so I tried reg white shoepeg, instead of red firecorn and bingo the bite was on again.

dansww
08-09-2010, 01:31 PM
How big do the Kokanee in Lucky peak get and what do they normaly bight on. Thanks

kodiak1
08-10-2010, 11:54 AM
They can get up to 19", and will bite on a variety of offerings. Look at previous postings, and you will see the variety of rigs used. Or, better yet, click on KokaneeTackle.com to the right of this, and look for the map to their store in Meridian. They'll set you up. Mike

kansasrockchalk
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Love the name Kokanee Vandal! Go Vandals!