PDA

View Full Version : Lake Stevens July 22&29 (Long)

asautt
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
A bit of intro – Got my boat in April of ’09. Caught a couple of Kokes at Lake Stevens pretty much by accident while sea-trialing and learning how to run downriggers. Got “Hooked on Koke” and joined this forum to lurk and learn.

Fast forward to this Spring. Late getting the boat out of layup and didn’t get out on Lake Stevens until a few weeks ago. Had a couple of one fish/two fish days around the aerator. Caught fish on various lures, but nothing on a hootchie or wedding ring.

July 22 – gear in the water at 7:15. Trolling the east side in 100 ft of water. Weather has been really hot and fish are showing at 70 to 80 ft. Chartreuse Apex behind a Sepps Sidekick dodger on one rod and a wedding ring behind the same on rod #2. At 9:00 I have 4 fish in the boat, all on the chartreuse Apex. Spend the rest of the day getting 3 more. All on the chartreuse Apex. Can’t get a taker on rod #2 with various hootchies, wedding rings, or different dodgers. All fish caught on the east side except the last one is taken on a pass by the aerator. The aerator must be mixing the water because the fish are dispersed through the water column from 40 to 70 feet not stratified like I noticed on the east side.

July 29 – I have a little trouble with my EZ-Steer so I’m not fishing until about 7:45. Had good luck on the east side last week, so I’m there again trolling between the 100’ and 120’ contour lines on the chart. Have the chartreuse Apex that was so hot on one rod and a watermelon Apex behind a Sepps Silver Pink Tire Track dodger on the other. The weather has been cooler and it’s an overcast morning. Marking fish at 50 to 65 feet. The fun begins – by 8:45 I have 5 fish in the boat between 11 and 14 inches. All taken on the east side down 62 feet on the rigger. Every one on the watermelon Apex, not even a bump on the chartreuse Apex that was hot last week. Things slow down but I’m happy to have beaten my previous best of a 13 ˝ incher.

Spent the rest of the day limiting out (10 Kokes on Stevens). Final tally 9 Kokes in the bag and 2 lost at the boat on the watermelon Apex. One Koke in the boat on the chartreuse Apex. One nice fat Perch on a red Apex. Nothing on various hootchies and wedding rings behind a few different dodgers.

The Icing on the Cake – just as the sun, wake boarders, tubers, and jet skis were all coming out in force I brought in the 10th Koke, an honest 15 incher. 101chromefish101 I was going to put the boat into layup again to install hydraulic steering before the Coho start running in force, but I think I’ll put that off and hit Lake Stevens “just one more time”.

Alan

MackPrince
08-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Sounds like you're getting the koke thing figured out up there Alan. Great report. Your two week scenario is very common where one day a lure is hot, and another the fish seem to want something different. I guess that's why we all splurge on the eye candy at the tackle store.

-Mackawesomereport

Mr. Kok
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Great report!!!

Glad you you have done well, apex lures have been the go to set up for later summer fishing as long as I can remember.

awesomereport

eenakoK
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
awesomereport
Thanks for sharing your report and information.

Torres
08-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Nice Report Alan.

I haven't been out on the lake for a couple of weeks now (getting some outdoor projects out of the way) but i'm due.
Thanks for the heads up on what's working for them at the moment.

Richard