PDA

View Full Version : porcupine genetics

Rooster
07-28-2010, 09:41 PM
It is apparent that porky is a koke factory. My question is, what do you think the possibility would be to get some flaming gorge gene stocked in there and help increase the size of the fish. Another thought is to put some lahontan cutts in there to thin out the small gene and get some big predator fish out of it. A big cutt would be icing on the cake with a batch of kokes for the smoker!

Bduck
07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
As they drain the pig down during the summer, its hard getting a boat in there unless you have a small boat. There are browns in there but don't know if its thinning the popualation of kokes. I'm thinking that F&G will be wanting to keep the Gorge strain right where its at with the onslaught of burbot and other predators. It would be nice to see the Gorge kokes put into other lakes thru out the western states to ensure their survival. Time & funding will tell eventually.

Petty4life
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
the pig just needs to be thinned out of the smaller ones so there is sufficiant food for the others to grow biggertongue2

TrophyBoat
07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
i think porky is sitting pretty good and just needs thinned out a little like petty said. There are plenty of browns and bows in there with the cutt population staying steady. They should leave it open though and not close it. just close the tributary. aug and sept are the most productive months up there, the kokes really stack up good.

Rooster
07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I heard in a converstation that someone had heard that the fish and game at one point wanted kokanee out of there, i think in the late eightees, and tried to trap them, rather than poison them. In turn, the big fish were caught and the small gened fish escaped. Don't know if it is true but might explain the small fish. As a kid remember them being pretty small then. Who knows, it might be worth a try thought to get some better genes from somewhere though.

Kokaholic
07-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with petty and TB, go catch a limit and keep them, they need to be thinned out, I'm going there Saturday with a buddy and his wife, can we get a 18 ft Fiberglas on there still for this Saturday? I plan to bring home a limit if I can catch them allthumbsup

Rooster
07-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't know for sure what the water levels are right now. It might be tough with as dry as it has been. the water might be down a bit. I haven't been up there for a few weeks. School and work has kept me way too busy. I've been meaning to get up there but just haven't had time. Hopefully I get a chance soon. I try to keep my fair share up there to make room for them to grow, and i think most people do. Either that or most people that fish it don't do that well and only take a few home for their effort. Just tring to think of a solution to the small fish. Good thing the limit is 12, otherwise a limit of 3 or 4 would leave you hungry.

Grandpa D
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I was there last Saturday. The upper ramp was good then.
The water looked to be down about 12' from high water mark then.

I also agree that we need to thin out the Kokanee in Porcupine. I'm sure the DWR agrees with the 12 Kokanee limit.

ReelMasta
08-05-2010, 05:05 PM
So what color dodgers/lures are good for for the Pig? And how far back do you run your lures from the dodgers?

Rooster
08-06-2010, 12:28 AM
white and or pink are the standard like most places. i start about twenty feet back, and go from there. good luck.

Kokehead
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
All kokes in Utah including fg come from the same source. Strawberry hatchery.