PDA

View Full Version : Is "Humminbird" a copy of Hummingbird fishfinders?

Full_Monte
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I've been trying to figure out what kind of fish finder to buy to replace my Eagle 6300. I just ran across this confusing thing on the internet. Apparently, there is a company selling Hummingbird fish finders, except they advertise them without the "g". Has anyone else run into this? I was really surprised and almost didn't catch it.

Petty4life
10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I've been trying to figure out what kind of fish finder to buy to replace my Eagle 6300. I just ran across this confusing thing on the internet. Apparently, there is a company selling Hummingbird fish finders, except they advertise them without the "g". Has anyone else run into this? I was really surprised and almost didn't catch it.

Here is the advise i got when I asked for advise on fishfinders 1-Go Lowrance. 2-Go for the most expensive finder you can afford. It only hurts when you pay for it after that you will never regret it.

Kokaholic
10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I agree with Jason. I have Lowrance now. I will be upgradeing this next spring/late winter and will get me a new Lowrance. I KNOW i will spend over a thousand bucks for it but I know I will have a top of the line. I have seen first hand the abilities that Lowrance has and in my book its 2nd to none.

I have been out with Sockeyeslayer and used his hummingbird and its nice. very nice. I just like the lowrance better.

Petty4life
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM

If you deside to go hummingbird talk to fishonlynch here on the board he did the research and him and his dad just put 2 new hummingbirds on there boat.

HiTechKoke
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
One major thing to consider is if you are getting a dual model, GPS and FF then look at the maps available and in particular the Lakes you fish. Those contour maps are golden when fishing a number of lakes here in California where there is a lot of structure as the Kokanee like the structure at certain times of the season. Lowrance does an excellent job at this as well as you can add the Navionics chips to supplement anything not covered. I'm a Lowrance fan as well.

A few guys have two fishfinders, Lowrance and Furuno and they each tend to have their advantages.

Kevin

FishHunter
10-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I fish with an Eagle FF/GPS combo and have been very pleased with it. Eagle and Lowrance are made by the same company and are very similar in technology and abilities.

I also use the Navionics software for the GPS to show contours of the lakes I fish. Once I lock on to where the fish are, I ignore the FF and use the GPS to track where I have been and I use waypoints to mark where I catch fish.

Propnut69
10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I give a thumbs up on getting a Lowrance,even through I still miss my bottomline. As others have said get the most power that you can afford.

dubob
10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Not sure if this counts for anything or not, but the marine department head at the Lehi Cabelas store runs a Hummingbird 797c2 on his boat. With his employee discount, he could pretty much have any brand he wants but he has the Hummingbird. It will be my next purchase in the spring. The 797c2 is a sonar/GPS/SI unit at $899. It will accept the navigational chips as well. The only Utah lake currently available in HD is Strawberry – nothing for the Gorge or Powell. But that’s a minor problem which will probably be fixed in the next year or two.

I know people that swear by the Lowrance brand as well as people who swear at them. To me, it’s about like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge argument. There is no clear winner. Buy the features you need or want at the best price you can find.

SilverBullets
10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Getting back to the original question, I think it's the other way around...Humminbird is the original, please correct me if I'm wrong. I checked out a couple web sites, and it looked like the hummin"g"bird finders were selling on e-bay. I have the Humminbird 777c2 with gps and the quadrabeam plus transducer, and the WeatherSense upgrade. No problem seeing the downrigger balls and can even see jigs going up and down (can also see the fish I don't catch!)thumbsup

Full_Monte
10-04-2008, 11:08 AM
So, it sounds like you not only choose the fishfinder, but also options like which transducer, a GPS option, a "Weather Monitor" and maybe more. It sounds something like buying a car. I'm thinking that given the cost of these things, I better start comparing features a lot more closely than I have.

Phil Johnson used a Furuno fishfinder. I don't know why he chose that over others. Like everything else, technology changes so quickly that the choice one makes this year might be different than the choice one made last year.
I think I'll go drool over some fishfinders this weekend.tongue2

Full_Monte
10-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Getting back to the original question, I think it's the other way around...Humminbird is the original, please correct me if I'm wrong. I checked out a couple web sites, and it looked like the hummin"g"bird finders were selling on e-bay. I have the Humminbird 777c2 with gps and the quadrabeam plus transducer, and the WeatherSense upgrade. No problem seeing the downrigger balls and can even see jigs going up and down (can also see the fish I don't catch!)thumbsup

I went to the fishing store yesterday, and they were selling "humminbird" finders (without the "g"), so you are probably correct that the hummin"g"bird finders are a knockoff copy.

HiTechKoke
10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Monte - If you are in no rush just wait till the International Sportsman's show in January in San Mateo and then it goes to Sacramento. Lowrance is always there and Humminbird is there as well as I recall. You'll get to see a lot of the units on display with the reps there to ask questions as well.

Kevin

Full_Monte
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, Kevin...I was thinking about that. I would rather get the right finder than get one fast. So far, there's a lot of confusing info floating around in my adled brain.