PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Report

Grandpa D
07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
It's been a while sence I have been to Porcupine.
I decided to do a solo trip there over the long weekend.
I arrived there at about 7:30pm on Thursday evening and set up camp.

The upper ramp is in great shape and I launched the boat at 6:30pm Friday morning.
The fishing was on from the first drop.
I was using both down riggerws and had several doubles.
I lost a lot of fish at the boat but didn't mind because I was there for 2 days of fishing.
I caught over 20 Kokanee on Friday and kept 7 of the larger ones.
I got off the water at 10:00am and had a brunch.
[Baccon, eggs and hash browns] Yummy!

Saturday morning was a repeat of Friday with one exception.
I went for about 20 minutes without a hit, so I reeled up to see what was wrong. Both rods had fish on them.
These were average sized Kokanee but they gave no indication that they were on.

I droped the down riggers back down and it was hot action the rest of the morning. I stopped again at 10:00am because I had my limit on ice by then.

I releases some and several others came unbuttoned at the boat once again on Saturday.

All fish were caught on Rocky Mountain Squids and Dodgers.
I only changed my rig once the whole weekend and that was because I had a break off and lost my tackle to something big enough to brake my line.

The largest fish was a bit under 14" and the average were 11" to 12" long.
It was a great trip and probably my last on the the Pig this year.

TrophyBoat
07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Awesome, that place is hard to beat if your going koke fishing for eats, it could use some pressure to bring the koke size up a little but it is a good compromise for the non stop action.101chromefish101
I have seen some nice browns come out of that place, too bad your line broke on the big one. Any other troutskis show up in the net???

Petty4life
07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
nice report Dale

Grandpa D
07-26-2010, 02:03 PM
No trout this trip.
I was using Kokanee tackle so I'm not surprised that I didn't catch any trout.

The wind picked up at about 10:00am on both days and that kept me from fishing later in the day.
I had planned to try jigging for trout in the afternoons but that never happened.

Rooster
07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Good to hear you did good up there. My luck has been a bit spotty up there the last couple of times. Sounds like they might be schooling up good now. Maybe i'll make it up there before they start to spawn if i'm lucky