PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Ranch

kodiak1
07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
My wife and I fished Anderson Ranch this A.M. and did well. Picked up 25, (a load for the smoker), and called it a day. The bite slowed considerably around noon. The most productive depths were 3 colors on the lead core, and 25 on the downrigger. The third pole was at 20 on the second downrigger, and couldn't buy a fish, no matter what I put on it---my pole, of course!!! Kali gave me a tutorial on kokanee fishing today. Lost tons of kokes, natch. Mike

Lunddude
07-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you two had a pretty good day at Anderson Mike. The wife and I went over last weekend for 3 days and brought 71 home for the smoker. All fish were caught between 20-40 feet off the downriggers. I was mostly using a red #1 Apex with the rubber snubber & a 3 blade #4 Bollo & of course doctored Shoe Peg corn. The first day I must have lost 30 fish so the following day I went to a larger rubber snubber and sharpened the heck ou of my hooks. This seemed to do the trick as I was able to put 17 fish in the boat before losing one. In all I think I only lost 6-8 fish the second day.

kodiak1
07-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey, Mike, good to hear from you. When we were trying to figure out why we were losing so many fish, we noticed two boats in our area w/o nets. They were just grabbing the line and trying to haul the fish in. How stupid, we thought. That was when we noticed that when Kali switched gear, she had grabbed pop gear that didn't have a snubber on it. So, who was the stupid one?!! When you say you switched to a better snubber, what did you mean? I always have a dilemna when buying them, trying to decide whether to buy the smaller one or the larger size. I have no idea which one is more effective. Wish you could have gotten over here for Lucky Peak's big kokes. Lots of 15-18's. However, they are the early spawner variety, and are now on the verge. Going up tomorrow for one more time. Wish I could say I was looking forward to seeing you at Sekiu in a month. Maybe in the future. Mike

Lunddude
07-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Mike, I went from a #2 rubber snubber to a #3 and I think along with the sharper hooks my odds increased greatly. I fish a lot by myself so I have to run the boat, the downriggers & net the fish. With the help of my Minnkota AP & my T8 kicker I'm generally pretty succsefull at getting them in the boat. For some reason my first day out it just wasn't happening for me, I put 20 in the boat and lost at least that many. Sitting around the camp fire that night my wife asked me "What do you think the problem was? I told her "Not enough time on the water & I'm getting old"! LOL!!

Lunddude
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Mike, I think we're going to try and make Sekiu next year. My avatar picture is from our 2007 Sekiu trip. It was taken in the evening of the day they reopened the chinook season. Man, I will never forget that trip. The fishing was awesome, and I got to meet you and your nice family. Thanks again for all your help on that trip. It sure pays to go with someone who's played the game for as many years up there as you have!

kodiak1
07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Mike, Thanks for the info. I am going to load up on #3's! Next year should be a good one, esp. since the pinks will be running. I am not as confident about this year. Hard to figure out what the coho run will be like. Hope you can make it. Let me know if you get to the point of looking at days to book. Having up out there on the water made it much more fun. Mike