PDA

View Full Version : Pig Hunt at Berry 7/16 - 7/17

Dreamcatcher
07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
The Berry patch is still producing some nice big fat kokanee. The prediction for some hot weather had me a little worried that the fishin would suck, but I'm glad I was wrong. The bite wasn't wide open, but we had action all day long hooking up as we trolled along. Both Friday and Saturday we stayed east of the big island zig zagging east to west while working our way north to south and south to north. The bite was best first thing in the morning, then it would calm down with a hook up or take down here and there until mid afternoon. Both days, pink apexes and pink hoochies behind nickel and UV dodgers got the best action early in the morning. Late morning orange copper spinners and gold apexes behind copper and brass dodgers got a fair amount of action. Midday into the afternoon, it was all about dark colored lures and dodgers. Purple, blue, and black apexes got good results for us with blue nickel and red dyed dodgers.

Friday (7/16) my buddy Snagger Dave joined me. We found better quality fish later in the day but it was probably the location that had the most to do with it. It was also frustrating that we lost so many fish first off. LDR's and big kokes are my least favorite thing right now. We honestly lost ten or so fish before putting our first on in the box. Our mamas didn't raise no quitters so we kept at it and finally got better results as the day progressed. The LDR's didn't stop, but at the least the action kept us interested. A good day none the less for me and the Snagger.

http://apexprime.com/fishin_photos/2010-Pictures/Berry/dave-berry2010-07-16.JPG

Saturday (7/17) the heat was worse and the ski boat traffic was too. We did get our morning licks in before the lice showed up and this time we made due. My favorite State Farm dude Don shared the day with me. We just finished lowering pole number 4 and pole number 1 goes off. A minute later, fatty in the boat. Both of us are looking down at this beautiful fish not realizing that pole number 3 is bent halfway between the big island and Markley Cove. Don grabs the pole and fish in the box again. It had the makings of an early finish type of day but the equation turned out to be the same with the both of us having to wait a little longer for our limits. Only two LDR's this day with the morning, again, giving us the better action.

http://apexprime.com/fishin_photos/2010-Pictures/Berry/al-berry2010-07-17.JPG

50 and 60 feet seemed to be our most productive depth. 89-98 feet of water seemed to be our most productive range. 1.2 to 1.5 mph as usual. Same lures as Friday.

Until next weekend,

capt Al out

Petty4life
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
nice worthy12job guys

JusTrollin
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Very nice! I may go this sunday if I get a chance. I do need to take my dogs out for a swim.

JT

Torres
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Nice stringers Al!

I see in the first pic you caught yourself a nice Rainbow in the mix too.

Dreamcatcher
07-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Nice stringers Al!

I see in the first pic you caught yourself a nice Rainbow in the mix too.

That dang rainbow was the biggest fish in the box until the pig kokes started showing up. Funny thing when the kokes start out sizing the rainbow.

Full_Monte
07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I guess I gotta start taking lessons from you guys...I think I'm doing something wrong.101goodpost101

MJCook6
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice report Al...

Old School
07-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanx for the report. Super nice limits.