PDA

View Full Version : Green Peter Tournament 2010

kokaneekid
07-18-2010, 06:42 PM
The Kokanee tournament was a blast, and I learned a few things after fishing my first one I need to invest in a scale. I was trying to target bigger kok’s and never picked up any oversized ones, we ended the day with 30. The food was great, and people were awesome, this event has some great sponsors with a ton of prizes. Gary from Shasta Tackle, and Greg from Kokanee Power did a wonderful job with this tournament. The winner Ron Walkers winning combination was a Shasta Tackle Sling Blade, and an R & K Hoochie. We did get the film crew from Anglers West on our boat to film my Nephew reel in a kokanee, that was fun watching him in front of the camera, and he also won the junior division. Hope to see you all at the Odell tournament.

If anyone has more picture please post them thanks....

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

piscator54
07-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Yes, a scale or at least a "tipper" comparator to pick bigger fish. There were a lot of fish almost the same size and it was tough to pick out the biggest ones. The difference between 1st and 10th was about 0.3 lbs so every part of an ounce was critical.

We landed about 20 or so during the tournament window. A few fat ones but none over 14" for us. We did have a great time though and will definitely do it again next year.

Greg worked his butt off. Hope he can get some help next year or he'll burn out soon. I'll build a rod to donate for the raffle next year. I have a good recipe for Kokanee downrigger rods.

Tight lines everyone.

Piscator54

kenamatic
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
This was our second kokanee derby (Lake Billy Chinook was our first) and we are hooked. They are a blast!!! Definitely get a scale. We ended up third and had two fish about 15" and 32 that looked the same. We put each on a scale and had one that was 15 oz and two others that bounce back and forth between 14 and 15 oz with the rest at 13 and 14 oz. Kuddos to all who helped out at the derby, it was well run and all didan outstanding job. See you all at Odel. 101chromefish101

Cannon
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Here are some photos from the derby. Chester's grandson was a hoot! Good to meet up with old friends and make some new ones. Special thanks to Brian for the use of his extra plug.

Cannon
07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Here are a few more photos

Cannon
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
And just a few more...

TopFuelKokanee
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the reports and pics! Can't believe I haven't fish the derby at my "home lake" yet (date conflicts with another activity). But thanks to all who participated. thumbsup

capron6
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Here are the results from the Green Peter Derby as relayed to me via telephone from President Graham who is busy fishing Wallowa at this time. I believe there were 80 entrants and 6 Juniors entered as well. Looked like a great time was had by all and there were a lot of really nice prizes.

1st Ron Walker, Sweet Home, OR and Scott Walker, Portland, OR 5.06 lbs.
2nd Larry and Debbie Tudor, Albany, OR 4.90 lbs.
3rd Ken and Darrell Esperson, Parkdale, OR 4.89 lbs.
4th Rick Breckel, Mahama, OR and Alan Breckel, Springfield, OR 4.89 lbs.
5th Jerud and Janien Rhen, Culver, OR 4.88 lbs.
6th Rod Paetsch, Lebanon, OR and Randall Keisling, Corvallis, OR 4.85 lbs.
7th Mick Bougher, Camas, WA and Jason Peterson, Portland, OR 4.84 lbs.
8th Damon Streuble, and Chris Carter, Albany, OR 4.84 lbs.
9th Greg Graham, Gold Hill, OR and Leon Richards, Derby, Kansas 4.83lbs.
10th Brian Russell, Bend, OR and Gary Miralles, Redding, CA 4.81 lbs.

Blind Bogey Brian and Kevin Daly, Medford, OR

Large Chinook Damon Streubel and Chris Carter 1.15 lbs.

JUNIOR DIVISION
Niillo Phelps .93 lbs.
Katie Olson .91 lbs.
Jerron Rhen .88 lbs.
Janae Rhen .86 lbs.
Oryan Huntley .86 lbs.
Jordan Bass .81 lbs.

piscator54
07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks for posting these. Everyone was really close in the top 15 or so.

We were actually 10th at 4.82 but Greg was pretty cross-eyed trying to find all the numbers after all the work he'd put in. He was really good about it and he's going to post amended results when he gets back from Wallowa. Nice to know we were in the hunt with Gary and Brian.

Can't make Odell though. My daughter is getting married and I'm not ready to trade my marraige for 5 lbs of kokanee. 101duh101

piscator54

Lip Ripper
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Piscator 54
I hear you there on the marriage I can assure you the fish aren't worth it. On our first born my wife was in labor for several hours at the hospital. I finally got tired of walking the floor and went fishing. Well we just celebrated our 50 Anniversary and I am still hearing about it. signfishin

kokaneekid
07-21-2010, 05:10 PM
My daughter is getting married and I'm not ready to trade my marraige for 5 lbs of kokanee. 101duh101

piscator54

I took home 30 kok's that day, and I'm sure you would have as well... so it was more like 28.68lbs of kokanee. I know a couple of guys that would trade their marriage in for a lot less than five pounds... If it was me I would trade my boat in to keep my marriage if I had too, good thing she likes to fish just as much as I do.... I think you made the right decision too bad your not going to make it to Odell it's going to be a lot of fun, I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

TBtoad
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
My brother and I fished the derby on our way home from Wallowa. We didn't place in the top ten but were only 3.8 0zs off. What a great Lake. I have never been to a lake with so many kokanee. We had double and triple hookups which buts pressure on two old guys who are trying to keep from getting tangled up with four downriggers. Except for Gary Coe and his partner we were the only team from Calif. that I know of.
We belong to the Fresno chapter of Kokanee power and have a ball at our meetings and the tournaments.
Thanks
TBtoad

kenamatic
07-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I here that about keeping the marriage going. We just celebrated our 10th and my wife loves kokanee fishing as much as I do. She actually introduced me to kokanee fishing. it is what we do for most of our "vacations". See you at Odell

Doc_Rhen
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for posting these. Everyone was really close in the top 15 or so.

We were actually 10th at 4.82 but Greg was pretty cross-eyed trying to find all the numbers after all the work he'd put in. He was really good about it and he's going to post amended results when he gets back from Wallowa. Nice to know we were in the hunt with Gary and Brian.

Can't make Odell though. My daughter is getting married and I'm not ready to trade my marraige for 5 lbs of kokanee. 101duh101

piscator54

Can't convince your daughter that Shelter Cove Resort would make an ideal location for a wedding?101idea101 J/K.

kenamatic
08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Sounds like an OUTSTANDING place for a daughter to get married. Lunch at the weigh in could double as a reception.

Basshole
08-13-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm from calif. and I am interested in fishing some of your lakes, and some derbys. What kind of camping is there at GP and Odell? we have motorhomes, but don't need hook ups. One of our clubs have interest in coming up next year to try it out. We are tired of dinks and water lice. They have their place, but not behind my boat.

piscator54
08-13-2010, 08:21 AM
GP has been fishing well this year. Not huge fish but lots of them. I'm sure you've read reports and seen pictures.

Camping at GP is a little sparse. There is a 30 site campground with no hookups on GP, which is the only campground on the lake. Boat ramp about is about 1/2 mile from the campground.

There is a big campground on Foster reservoir with hookups but you have to trailer your boat to GP. There's a pesky dam in the way.

Only 2 single lane ramps at GP, one at the campground and one the next bay over.

Lot's of camping at Odell. It's a big lake with resorts, campgrounds etc. I haven't camped there in a long time so I'll let others detail that one.

Love to have you up next year. It was a lot of fun.

Piscator54

DLM
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm from calif. and I am interested in fishing some of your lakes, and some derbys. What kind of camping is there at GP and Odell? we have motorhomes, but don't need hook ups. One of our clubs have interest in coming up next year to try it out. We are tired of dinks and water lice. They have their place, but not behind my boat.

I don't know how many rigs you are talking about but there is a reservable group area close to the Whitcomb creek ramp, between the ramp and the campground. It is paved, not exactly flat, no hookups that I know of. There is no moorage but I have seen boats tied to the shore within the boomed area around the ramp. The campround and group area are both managed by Linn County Parks and Rec.

Basshole
08-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Piscator 54 and Dim Thanks for the reply. We will bring for sure 3 rigs, I didn't ask around this year soon enough. We went to Diamond Lake. We had 8 rigs, I started with 3. Oregon is a great area and a big draw for us. fishing was fun at diamond, but in the back of my mind were the Kokanee lakes. Before we come up next I'll post something and maybe see one of up there. Thanks again, Dan