PDA

View Full Version : Ririe Kokanee

IdahoBrett
07-15-2010, 05:48 PM
What the heck is with the kokes @ Ririe ?
Hope someone is having better Luck, last month has been terribly slow for me n crew.
I'm thinking wrong area, we been hitting the dam area and back to the second turn" just past the cable.
Its been a 1 fish or 2 hit day lately if that sometimes, nothing at all.
Been trying everything, every color of spoons, pop gear wedding rings little cleos, shoepeg corn with some setups always with rubber snubbers.
Maybe crawdad fishing be more fun LOL
Anyone with better luck would like to hear from you.
Good Luck.
Brett in Rigby

MMDON
07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I'll be there in the a.m. I'll let you know. We just returned from 8 days at the Gorge. It's going to be hard to fish for Ririe Kokes after that! tooexcited

gonefishing
07-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Idahobrett is striking out. I have caught limits 2 days in a row around the S area and a 1/4 mile from the S back towards the dam.

Hopefully this will help. 20 to 40 ft depths. Hoochies with silver dogers in a couple variations. Hochie colors working the best have been orange and glow in the dark florecent green. The hoochie taking the most fish has been the Rocky Mountain Tackle orange / redish tip glow in the dark version.

Fish are hitting at a slower troll around 1.2 to 1.4 MPH.

Water temperature at 66.6 on the surface. Using up my supply of natural color fire corn which has been working pretty well.

Most fish in the 11 to 12 " size and fairly thick. A few kokes at 15 ". I have not been going out early, and am hope to hit it at daybreak Sat to see if the bigger fish are more active early.

Go get em Brett.

maghunter
07-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Finally made it out this year for the first time. We trolled from 6 to 10 this morning and only landed one and lost another one. Trolled from the dam and about two miles up. Nothing showed up on the fish finder around the dam the first fish started showing up around the ramp area but they seem to be few and far between. We found one large school and trolled over them several times trying different rigs and couldn't get any takers, we even tried dead drifting over them and jigging crippled hearing and swedish pimples. The one fish I did catch was big and thick so I think its enough to get me back up there a couple more times before they spawn.

gonefishing
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
We caught 2 limits on Saturday. 2 Nice thick 15 inchers. The rest of them were 10 -12 inches. It took 6 Hrs with the ski boats and wind working against us through the day. All of the fish were caught in the narrow areas of the sharp S Turn. The fish are navigating their way south in the reservior. I don't know why. We have only caught 5 females out of 8 limits this week.

Saturday the fish were caught on RMT Pink, and Orange UV Hoochies. Dogers were hot pink. Bait was Fire Corn soaked in Red Pautzke Kokanee Fuel.

Back to work as my vacation is over.101smilie101

maghunter
07-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing that the fish must be further south. Unfortunately I only have a 2hp outboard on my boat so I am limited to staying around the ramp. Works alright for trolling but there is no exploring to find the fish. Have the fish been biting more at certain times of the day?

gonefishing
07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Most of the activity was between 7-10 AM and 2-4 PM.

There are a few Kokanee on the spillway side up by the dam. My guess would be between 150 -200 fish. None of them were very big. They looked like 10 inch size fish. We took a ride at the end of the day looking around for the fun of it and found that one school of fish up by the dam.

I have a lowrance HD fish finder and a paramount side scan that alows me to shoot horizontal through the water hunting along the cliffs. That helps me find the schools. I can look out there about 150ft side ways and about 90 Ft down. Thats how we found the fish up by the dam. It would have been easy to miss them other wise.

We did not check all the open water between there, the dam, and the narrows, that is the area where the S is. You would not have enjoyed fishing in that (S) area anyway, as the ski boats were very plentiful Saturday with some not to respectfull of fishermen. Not bad people, just very focused on their fun.

I have been wanting to check a little further south to see if schools are showing up further than where we have been catching the fish. I may do that after work later this week.

If you head up to, and launch at Blacktail, there are some Kokes close to the launch area and a few south of there over by the big hillside. Stay away from the bank about 100 ft and you will be in the fish.

Good Luck.

IdahoBrett
07-19-2010, 10:06 AM
All Right you guys, ya got silver spots in my eyes.
I havent been up since last wensday and only had
2 hours so hit dam area, without sucsess but without
time I expect that.
This past weekend was my anniversary weekend and no
fishing, WIFE would have koked me.
My new lowrance should be in the mail today, my x51 failed
to come on last 2 trips, so found same one on ebay new for
190.00 easy replace. No the wife dont know.....
I think they are a must for targeting fish...

Good luck guys keep up the good job.
Be back to brag another day :))))

gonefishing
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Go get'em Brett. I smoked all but 2 fish. Yummy! Now I know why I love catching these critters. We look forward to a little bragging from you soon!

Keep the wife happy!laugh hyst

Dont worry, we completely understand! Been there!worthy12

MMDON
07-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Fished Ririe this morning. Never saw a 3 year old fish. We finally took 2 limits of 2 year olds home for the canner. I've never seen the fishing like this at Ririe in all of the years it's been my home waters.

gonefishing
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
MMM, I did not make it out this weekend. I had to work. We caught fish last weekend, but really had to work the schools we found hard. Switching gear alot to find what would work. It could be the exceptional number of fun boats in Ririe are casuing issues.

Have you made it out to Mackey Res yet. I would like to know how that reservior is faring. I think that I am ready for a run out there soon before the water gets to low to launch.

MMDON
07-26-2010, 08:39 AM
We haven't been to Mackay. Still recovering from the trip to the Gorge!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/690/610kokaneespinners009.jpg

Bduck
07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
We haven't been to Mackay. Still recovering from the trip to the Gorge!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/690/610kokaneespinners009.jpg

I know exactly what you are saying Don. I'm finally getting over dragging my a$$ around and already preparing for another round of the Gorge in 2wks.

MMDON
07-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Now I'm jealous! I wish I could say I was headed back! 101chromefish101

IdahoBrett
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
GoneFishing & MMM
Dang nice fish.
Wish I could go to the gorge too.
U guys and your another round. :)
You guys are spoiled !

gonefishing
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Yep, those are the kind of pictures that get you going. I'm headed down in a couple of weeks my self. Nice JOB MMM and team mate.signfishin

PapaD
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
How can you tell if it is a 3 yr old???

PapaD
07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
So I got my BLACK BOX on Wed. and had it on that night. Went up today to Ririe ( 7:00 to 11:30 ) with my son here on a little vacation and we got 7 kokes, me 2 and him 5. Before the BLACK BOX I have not gotten any fish on my DR. It must work???

PapaD
07-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Fishing at Ririe with my son.

MMDON
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM
So I got my BLACK BOX on Wed. and had it on that night. Went up today to Ririe ( 7:00 to 11:30 ) with my son here on a little vacation and we got 7 kokes, me 2 and him 5. Before the BLACK BOX I have not gotten any fish on my DR. It must work???

I swear by my electronics PD!

MMDON
07-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Fishing at Ririe with my son.

That would be a three year old. I can't believe they turned in July! 101shock1101

homesick angler
08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
This time of year kokes are killing dodgers and squid. Orange has been the best color for me this summer.

MMDON
08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
As the three year old fish turn red try using lures the color of the turned fish! They get crazy aggressive!

IdahoBrett
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM
After spending last weekend at Hebgden i'm ready to catch some fish.
MMM I got 1/2 dozen of them setups from the weekend you was there.
So Sat or Sunday morning i'm off to do the limit thing :)
If ya see me i'm in the 15 ft blue/white bayliner.
Hopefully smiling !

MMDON
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
You will catch them! 101chromefish101

gonefishing
08-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Back from the Gorge

It was a little slower for everyone the weekend we went. We did catch 5 with 2 of them in that 3-3.5 lb range, I think no scale. A couple of pup Macks and enjoyed the time on the water.

The larger Kokes are really fun to work.

We lost a fair number of fish . Had 2 leaders snap early on Sat morning and a nice big bow snaped the line on my wife right at the back of the boat. It was one of those, how did that happen moments.

I took heavier rods than I should have but once the drag was set right they worked OK. Its amazing to have those bigger fish peel line off your real. Real motivation to encourage one to head back down there.tongue2

All in All, FUN FUN FUN.

Going to do it again next year for a full week. Can't help myself.tooexcited

IdahoBrett
08-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Well its about time I make a post.
Went to Ririe 3 weekends ago on a sat fished for 4 hours picked up 7 silvers all 2 year olds.
Went again this past weekend and got 9 in the boat and several more strikes or jumpers at the boat. Some were small one year olds or planters.

Fished 30 - 40 feet on downrigger on one side and Leaded line pole on other side. And a middle with 2 big sinkers, it had a few hits.
Dodgers and double hook setup. With pink corn from Cal Ranch.

THANKS MMM for your help........

Camp trip set for this weekend so next week will try again.
101chromefish101