PDA

View Full Version : County Developing Plan for Green Peter.

DLM
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Here is a great opportunity everybody! There will be some forums put on by Linn County Parks on the development of a plan for future use of Green Peter. Here is the information from the site. If this does not work out for timing you can fill out a questionnaire and send it in. This is the time to form things in the minds of the Parks folks - Please put in a good word for boat ramps, docks, fish cleaning station, anything that will make using GP better! They received a Federal Grant of $60 K to come up with a Master Plan for the area. It's your money, we might as well put it to use!

Kokanee Power of Oregon will have representatives at the Monday night meeting.

http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/gener.../closures.html (http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/generalinfo/closures.html)

GREEN PETER LAKE
PUBLIC FORUMS

Help plan the future of
recreation on
Green Peter Lake

Sweet Home

July 19, 2010
7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Sweet Home Senior Center
880 18th Avenue

Lebanon

July 22, 2010
7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Linn-Benton Community College Annex Bldg
44 Industrial Way

For further Information or to fill out the Public Forum Comment Questionnaire Please Contact Linn County Parks at:

parks@co.linn.or.us

or (541) 967-3917

DLM
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
This is a fantastic opportunity to have input from the fisherman's perspective.

Maybe each of us could post here some CONSTRUCTIVE ideas for things we would like to see at GP in the future. The input here may help those that can attend the meeting.

Having been involved with grants and government in the past, the $60k will be used up just in making the study of the area and the "plan". There will need to be a future funding source for actual improvements. To get our ideas into the "Plan" we need to be heard. This process is definately a situation of the squeeky wheel gets the grease and the more input we provide the more we will be taken seriously. Some of you may remember when the road between Sweet Home and Lebanon was a narrow two lane road with no shoulders to speak of. Public outcry and PARTICIPATION got it to what it is today.

I may or may not be able to attend the meetings but I will sure provide my input.

Some of the things I can think of off the top of my head would be

More parking at the boat ramps
Additonal boat ramps
Wider ramps to allow more than one rig launching at a time
More dock space
Moorage availability at Whitcomb Creek
Speed/wake regulations that already exit marked and enforced
Specific areas for skiing/wake boarding.

and of course more and bigger fish...http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/wink.gif

Cannon
07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Increased use would mean that the road in would definitely need repair/improvement which would be good. Increased use would also mean more crowds and more water skiers and personal water craft and probably smaller limits. Sometimes "improvements" ruin the very things they were meant to enhance. I will definitely be filling out a questionnaire if I can't attend. 101faceslap101

DLM
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Interest and use of GP is going to increase. Look a the larger number of fisherman this year which can be directly attributed to this and other forums. There is no stopping growth, but you can manage it.

I agree that Detroit is at many times unfishable due to the wake and ski boats. I hit the water there at 0600 one morning thinking I had a couple hours of peaceful water only to be surrounded by ski boats within 30 minutes.

These meetings are our chance to have an impact on the future of GP to make sure it does not become another Detroit. The growth of it's use must be managed so that everyone can enjoy the lake. GP is big enough for all kinds of boaters. One possability that I hope the county will consider is setting off sections of the lake for watersports (boards and skis). This works well at Suttle where the lake is split in half, on half having a 10mph limit.

The key is to make our voices heard and hopefully just a little bit louder than the other guy.........

Bullitt
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Keep in mind that what this plan will do is lay the ground work for future improvements. I will also emphasize the importance to at least provide comments and ideas if can't attend the meeting. If improvements are outlined in a master plan, it will make it easier for Linn Co to apply for and recieve federal and state funding or grants.

Fishin-RN
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I would strongly suggest that each and every one of us follow the link above and print out the public questionairre and send it to Linn county. Old timers and newcomers alike.
I fish Green Peter and have been on the lake to ski and swim at the same time. It's obvious to the county that recreationists (i mean non fisherman at this point) are increasingly using green peter and i can tell you why. THE WATER IS WARMER THAN AT FOSTER! THE LAKE IS LARGER THAN AT FOSTER! ANd green peter is certainly quieter than foster as well. What the county may not know of is the sudden influx of fisherman at the lake. 90% of slide up there with full gas tanks and the butt crack of dawn and do our thing off in the shadows with out ever leaving much to be noticed! And why? Because we are fisherman. No one wants our secrets out! It's in our blood. I'm going to fill out my questionnairre and try to go to one of these public meetings because i'm 30 years old with a new family and I think fishing is an important part of the heritage that each and every one of us has grown to love and cherish our whole lives. And someone needs to stand up for it more often. We all do. Wow i'm getting emotional.

Lip Ripper
07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I fully agree with RN GP is a big lake there is room for every one if it is regulated properly. It is not just the PWC and wake boarders but our own brothers the fisherman that do not respect others. The other day one fisherman passed 200 feet from me at full speed. If he wanted to see how many fish that I had in the boat he could have stopped and I would have been happy to show him. Some people are flying across the water not thinking what there wake is doing to others. I would hate to see GP with a 10 MPH speed limit.
Now for improvements They need a launch like the new one in Foster one side for boats in and the other for boats out. If nothing else a double ramp so two boats can be launched at once. If you really want to see a mess go up to Thistle Saturday when the Kokanee derby is on when they have a time limit to get to the weigh station. If each boat takes five minutes to get out that's only 12 boats a hour. And you have 50 boats you can see the mess that it causes with only one ramp.