PDA

View Full Version : Koke Jerky

Cariboospeed
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Current g/f has a dehydrator, http://www.londondrugs.com/MSIB20/ProductImages/4370235_large.jpg
and we've tried drying some fish a couple times now.

Filleted 4-5 fish and cut all the little bones out, and cut the sides down to 3-4 square inch pieces and marinate overnight with a half strength mix of some hickory jerky brine mix and a 1/4 cup of some salmon marinate I had in the fridge...

Skin side down on the racks and leave it for a few hours. My fish tend to have a lot of fat on them and at some point have to mop up the bottom of the dehydrator. I pat the fillets with paper towel quite firmly and the oil oozes out. Last batch I turned over for half the time, don't know if it made any difference...

Takes a good 6 hours depending on the thickness of the fillets, I start poking at them after 4-5 hours. Pretty hard to over dry when they have this much oil, and I like it on the tender side. I put them in an old pickle jar and keep it in the fridge.

Probably some of the tastiest fish I've ever eaten. So much so, I haven't had any desire to pull the smoker out yet. If I run run out of marinate I'll just start using some locally made Birch bbq sauce, or a bit of hot sauce... pretty much endless what they can be flavored with, or just leave au natural.

Doubt I'll put a fish in a pan ever again.

Cheers!

P.S. I mix in some rainbows if I have some, and the difference in taste is quite marked, Kokanee have much much more flavor.

HiTechKoke
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Tks for posting that. I've been wanting to try something different so I'll give it a shot next time I have some to try beyond feeding the Kokanee starving family.

Kevin

Cariboospeed
07-15-2010, 05:42 AM
I really recommend you do try if you have a dehydrator, and if not, its a good reason to buy one.