PDA

View Full Version : Odell Kok's

davepitts
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Found fishing the 151' to 172' foot water column is a producer even after the wind blows. Not fishing that deep, consistent hook ups from 65' to 110' depending on how much sun is on the water.

This is the area directly across from Jims Shelter cove resort.

Most of the kokanee are 15 inches but we are seeing at least 6 to 8 fish in the 16 inch class, Tandem sling blades short leaders of maybe 10 inches to bugs and or wedding rings. boating up to 60 fish.

The only thing I can think of is there must be some kind of an upwelling off of this shelf. The run is approximatley 160 yards in length.
Every time we have hit this area its hook up time.

Heading to Diamond and Lemola for the next week.

Buck
07-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Found fishing the 151' to 172' foot water column is a producer even after the wind blows. Not fishing that deep, consistent hook ups from 65' to 110' depending on how much sun is on the water.

This is the area directly across from Jims Shelter cove resort.

Most of the kokanee are 15 inches but we are seeing at least 6 to 8 fish in the 16 inch class, Tandem sling blades short leaders of maybe 10 inches to bugs and or wedding rings. boating up to 60 fish.

The only thing I can think of is there must be some kind of an upwelling off of this shelf. The run is approximatley 160 yards in length.
Every time we have hit this area its hook up time.

Heading to Diamond and Lemola for the next week.

Good report. About how far out from the resort is the shelf?

davepitts
07-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Heading out in a few minutes to Lemola and Diamond,
Buck head towards the opposite side of the lake from Shelter Cove and graph the bottom, its approximately a few hundred yards from that far shore line maybe more.
Good Luck

kokaguy1
07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
The wife and I were at Odell last week for 5 days but only one day was without wind and heavy white caps. It was our first time there and we had a nice time caught fish in the morings before the wind came up, boy can it blow there, it was all I could do to keep the bow into the waves and keep the both of us fishing (thank god for a bow mount trolling motor). The first day the UV slig blade and pink Hoochie was the ticket, the next four days was the Jack O Diamons and a standard orange WR tipped with Corn. We fished the north side of the lake and down into the Shelter cove area. We stayed at The resort at the east end of the lake so Shelter Cove was a bit of a run for us. A warning to those who have smaller Boats (car toppers etc) and are thinking of taking them to Odell, Odell lake can get very rough so watch the winds. I have a 17' Alumweld and it was interesting at times...... we got home a few days ago and the room is still rocking....haha.tooexcited

kokaneekid
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the report... Did you get any pictures of the 16 inches... I have been wanting to fish Odell but I've been told that the fish aren't as big as Green Peter... You didn't happen to get a snap shot that you can post?

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

Riverwolf
07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi Dave,
I didn't know that you had been to Odell this week. I was up at LOW and if I had known, I would have come up there and joined you.
We fished there a few weeks ago and heres a picture of some of the ones that we caught:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/wolfsong_album/51Kokanee.jpg

davepitts
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
http://salmontroutandsteelhead.com/daveslemolobrown

Just walked through the door back from Lomolo lake, Diamond was full of Algea, Lemolo is awesome! We did very well on Browns and Rainbows, released this guy and three more like him. caught and relased over 79 rainbows, released all but 15.
Trolling 1.4 to 1.7 mph triggered the bite.

Scott of Lemolo Lake Resort is establishing an incredible brown fishery, lost a "BIG" fish yesterday, shot out of the water about two feet, guestimation????
5 pounds. 70 feet of water I was at 65 feet. No mistaking it at all, busted the line from the downrigger clip and began taking line.... He schooled me :-D

davepitts
07-16-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.salmontroutandsteelhead.com/odellkoks.jpg

Here they are, note the size of the 16 to 18 inch koks we hooked on that shelf area compared to the average 12 inchers.

dob60
07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Dave
How were you fishing Lemolo? I have downriggers and would like to give it a try.
Thanks Dan

davepitts
07-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Dan, from Lemolo lake resort travel straight across the lake, watch your graph, there are a few points that come shallow quickly, otherwise it is a pretty consistent depth or 50' plus close into shore.

With the damn at your back troll towards Mt. thielsen once you reach where the Arm of the lake that feed the Umpqua turn around and head back towards the damn, target just inside the shadow line in the Morning.
You will hit both bows and browns here.thumbsup

dob60
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks dave. At what depth were you trolling, and what lures were you using?
Thanks Dan

davepitts
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Dan, I always start out staggered. Two rod permit four lines total for my son and I. On O'dell I run :
Rod 1- 20' Wedding Ring brown sugar corn
Rod 2- 30' Vances Gold dodger plain corn dyed pink Bug ( Green, black)
Rod 3- 40' Tandem Sling Blades Short leader Anise oil Green Corn Large Kok Bug
Rod 4 -50' Trophy stick for browns and macks

Lemolo lake start out once again stagger stack:
Rod 1- 8'
Rod 2-10'
Rod 3-12'
Rod 4 -20'
moving them down as the sun rises.

DLM
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I am getting confused with all the different lakes discussed here. Is this picture from Odell or Lemolo?

http://www.salmontroutandsteelhead.com/odellkoks.jpg

Here they are, note the size of the 16 to 18 inch koks we hooked on that shelf area compared to the average 12 inchers.

davepitts
07-31-2010, 10:31 AM
The Koks are from O'dell the Brown is from Lemolo.
You must understand, I have two daughters and 6'1 tall wife , its the house of hormones, I am always confused :-D

Have a great day