PDA

View Full Version : Another new Western Washington angler

Torres
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello fellow anglers.

My name is Richard Torres and I usually go by Richard or Rich.

I started my fishing addiction when my grandfather took me out (rip gramps, I miss ya..) to a stocked trout pond near Fort Lewis at the age of four and I haven't looked back.

I think I was around eight when I got my first taste of 101chromefish101 kokanee when he took me out to fish at American and Steilacoom lakes, and i'll never forget the frustration I felt one day when fishing from the bridge over Steilacoom and I hooked a 15" pig on a piece of corn. I played it until it was exhausted and laying on its side at the surface. Unfortunately for my grandfather and me we didn't have a net (as did others) to bring it in and as I tried to hoist it up on to the bridge the hook tore loose and down it went into the depths, along with my heart..

It's been over 35+ years since those encounters with the elusive kokanee.. Since then my passions have been gear and fly fishing for rainbows, sea run cutts, steelhead, salmon, and an occasional bass.

Well my curiosity for Koke has been spawned again and now, here I am. I don't know why I didn't get back into it much sooner. All that I know is one day I came across this website and the thought of catching some tasty Kokanee's sparked my interest, so I signed up and started reading up on the hows and what's into catching these beautiful fish. Being an avid flyfisherman, I tied up (at least tried to) a couple of mysis shrimp patterns and gave them soaking at Lake Stevens (our local Kokanee haven east of Everett) a couple of times over the course of a week to no avail.

This Monday morning I spent a fantastic couple of hours rowing around the lake and getting a good workout since I thought it was a good idea to leave (not intentionally) my trolling motor in the garage. Again the fish did not care for my tied offerings of anise and shrimp oil on a leader behind a 00 chrome dodger. No worrys! As I headed back to the boat ramp I met up with a fellow angler who was packing up for the day too, and he gladly told me how his day went, showing me his five footlongs in the cooler, the ten that got off the hook, and his method of catching them. And for that I thanked him for sharing his knowledge to me. worthy12

So here I am, an experienced angler willing to share my learning (good and bad) experiences to all that care to listen, and an unexperienced Kokanee angler, ready and willing to listen and soak up as much good (and bad) info as I can digest.

Tight lines!

Richard

redmanjr1
07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Welcome Rich. I was stationed at McChord AFB from 1991 - 1993. I'm from eastern Washington. Palouse, just north of Pullman. Everything you could want to know about fishing for Kokanee (and a whole range of other things) is right on this web site with a great bunch of folks.

Bob

Bduck
07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Richard. Welcome aboard 101welcomw We also have good and bad experiences that we share with others here. I never stopped learning to fish. Its intriguing & fun. Looking fwd to your posts.

AFDan52
07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Welcome aboard Richard .101welcomwsignfishin

MackPrince
07-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Welcome Torres!

I look forward to your reports, and info about using flies for kokes. There are a few patters that seem to troll well.

-Mack

Torres
07-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I plan on picking everyones brain on this site as well as posting and sharing my creations that are successfull (and the ones that aren't) to all of you as well..

So far from some of my browsing here, i'm quite impressed with some of the flashers and lures you folks have been making.

Tight lines,

Richard

SilverBullets
07-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Welcome aboard Richard! Looking forward to your posts and reports. I used to live up your way. How's the driving on I-5 & 405 these days?

eenakoK
07-06-2010, 02:56 AM
101welcomw
There is a ton of great information here as you have found out! It is great to see another member from Western Washington! You should come down to your old stomping grounds, American has been putting out some decent fish lately! Look forward to your posts as well!

Torres
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
How's the driving on I-5 & 405 these days?

Traffic is still the same SilverBullets. Some recent traffic improvements around the area has removed some pesky bottlenecks but the volume hasn't changed.

How's your local baseball team, the Elks doing lately?? I have a nephew that plays first base on the team.

Dbfield.

I will have to head south your way and visit American and others in the future..

Kokekook
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Richard,
I'm pretty new to Kokanee fishing myself. Am looking forward to picking the brains of some of you pros. Missed the Meet Greet and Eat at Buckboard this wknd. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Will be at the Gorge this coming week. What colors are working? Thanks for any info.
Dave
Kokekook

Kokonuts
07-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Richard....Welcome to a great Site!
If you can make it down to Lake Merwin give me a heads up! I'll be there most every week end!

signfishin....Kokonuts.....AKA>>>>Richard!