PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Green Peter Thread

DLM
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Started a new thread so all the GP info could be in one place and easy to find.

Went up Saturday the 3rd for a few hours, scooped up 15 quickly and headed home. I was using multi-orange sling blades with uv orange haze rmt hoochies and plain corn. Fish were all caught at 60 feet with about a 20' setback in the middle of the lake towards the dam.

There were a couple interesting things from the trip.

One of the larger fish, about 15" had just the ever slight beginning of a hooked jaw and developing a hump on the back. None of the other showed this at all. Also, the meat was much darker and firmer than the others. The largest fish I boated was just over 16". All were very fat and fought hard.

I was fishing at 1.1mph gps and while the bite was almost constant there was no doubles. Each school I marked produced a hit on one rod or other. At one point I started a turn to the right and noticed I was over a school during the turn. I thought, now lets see which rod they like, the slow one on the right or the fast one on the left. BANG. Both rods went down at the same time. So much for the speed question. I grabbed one rod and took up the slack, then backed the drag off on the other rod so the fish could take a little line if it needed. At one point both fish broke the surface and did a tail dance together. I was worried that they would get tangled but the one I was fighting decided to go deep. Got them both in. Gotta love it!!

Last hookup of the morning was something big, buried the rod in the water, tripped the release and the fight was on. It headed deep just like a Wallowa koke then was gone. Either a big koke or chinook.

salmonslayer
07-07-2010, 12:28 AM
My wife and I caught 44 Kokanee on July 3, 2010

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/medium/GREEN-PETER0070310.jpg

fishy4
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
i went there on monday and it was a total fail for me at least. heard some good and saw alot of people catching. it was my first time there. must say downriggers are neccesary and homeade downriggers suck. all in all bad fishing for us. beautiful lake.

Cannon
07-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Fished yesterday with Robbie Thorsen of R&K. Man that guy comes up with some wild lures that really workworthy12. I was unable to use his gear because I was testing tackle from Vance's but next time out, I will sure give it a go. Copper and Pink UV dodgers followed by Glow Sockeye Slammers were hot but so was the weather. Caught fish from 50' down to 65' trolling at 1.2 MPH which is slow for me, but it worked well. Nice fish, seems that every trip I make up there the fish are bigger and it takes me longer to clean my catch! What a problem to have! Fish were running between 14" and 15" on average with a couple 13 inchers' thrown in to keep me humble and a couple 16" 101chromefish101to keep me interested. Limited out by 1:00 PthumbsupM. Bite just never died, had a hoot of a time.

kokaneekid
07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Fished yesterday with Robbie Thorsen of R&K.

Sounds like a great trip... Did you try any of those super small hoochies, that Robbie has? My dad is testing them out at this very moment, but I haven't got a report yet. Maybe tonight. Man do they look good.

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

Rikker99
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Just got back from GP with 38 nice fish to show for our efforts. This was our second trip and I think we are starting to get the hang of the place.Fished by the island early then up to the dam for the late morning bite. Had two young men in the boat, 11 and 15 years old, and by the time we left they were running the down riggers and cleaning the fish etc. They caught on pretty quickly. Love that place - I hope the powers that be can solve the water and rec use issues so it can be even better. RP (We caught fish from 45-70 ft on just about everything we threw at em)

gunq
07-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Hey everyone this is my first time posting, but I read the board all the time. I am going to be hitting GP in the morning, just picked up about 6 mini hoochies, few new flashers, and some corn. Got my down riggers primed. Never had much luck at GP but I hear about lots of ppl that do and my father just bought a house in Lebanon so I figure its time to knuckle down and get some kokanee. So if you see a Black with red and gray stripped tracker wave. We will be the ones not catching anything as usual jk.

dawson1922
07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
We saw alot of fish caught today, the only problem was they were from passing boats. I was just woundering if it was somthing I'm doing wrong, or if anybody else long lining it struggled today. Where in Eugune can I buy mannual downriggers besides Bi-Mart and Dicks?

river hunter
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
We saw alot of fish caught today, the only problem was they were from passing boats. I was just woundering if it was somthing I'm doing wrong, or if anybody else long lining it struggled today. Where in Eugune can I buy mannual downriggers besides Bi-Mart and Dicks?

you could try getting one from mels or clemens marine but for the money i would goto dicks and get one there, they have a better price point

DLM
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Picked up 14 before I had to leave just after 10:00. Same old story, pink or orange, 55-60 feet 1.1-1.2mph.

gunq
07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
first successful fishing trip to green peter. on the lake at 8 am off at 11 am 12 boated Most on solid pink hoochie, pink flash sling blade. 44 feet

Brooster
07-12-2010, 02:26 AM
3 rods 14 fish 6:30 - 1:30. you didn't miss much after 11:00 a.m. Second all that, pink , pink , pink!!

Buck
08-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I made my first ever trip to Green Peter last Thursday. Not too bad of a trip from the coast, but didn't exactly get there at "O'dark-thirty". The journey went well through Lebanon and Sweet Home, but I drove right past the left turn to the reservoir and dam (having never been there before) and had to turn around and go back. Finally got to Thistle boat launch and found out it is a long, single boat ramp and most of the "veteran" GP anglers were already out on the water.

Now to tell something on myself. I live at the coast and religiously wash my boat after using it in the salt. Can you fill in the "rest of the story"? Backed down the ramp, launched, a guy graciously offered to hold the boat for me since the limited shoreline space was taken up.

Just getting ready get back in the truck when I noticed water in the back of the boat. There is the plug sitting in the tray where I left it after my last washing. Pulled the boat out, ran the bilge, let it drain, and told the guys in line I was going to move the back of the line since I didn't want to hold up all the guys WHO KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH THEIR OWN BOATS!

The guys next in line said "hey, you're here, just go ahead and launch ahead of us. A big thanks to those guys and to the guy who offered to hold my boat for me AFTER I LAUNCHED MY BOAT A SECOND TIME.

So, I'm finally out on the great GP at about 0730 without a real clue of where to go except the dam is somewhere down the reservoir to my right and there is an island out there somewhere. I piddle around out in the middle from the Thistle launch for awhile with some other boats, not seeing fish on the graph and no bites.

Finally pull the gear in and head to the dam. Lots of boats, but not much catching. I pick up a couple, but slow. So I move back up the lake a bit, graph a few fish, and start picking up a few. End up with nine there before the bite dies and the school dispersed, so I move again toward the dam (and away from the wind) and end up picking up another nine by 1pm which was my self-assigned deadline to head back to the coast.

I ended up with 18 beautiful kokes, much bigger than I have been catching at Odell. I caught 12 on the sep's watermelon dodger with a flourescent red glow hootchie, 10" leader for lots of action. The rest came on the other 10 dodger/lure/scent combinations I tried, but my homemade red glow/silver blade wedding rings accounted for three of those six. I shortened the leader on the wedding rings after not getting bites and that's when I picked up those fish. Maybe because these fish are bigger they want a little more lure action. Fished almost exclusively at 45' with a few at 35' and 50'. I leaned toward the glow lures because the fish were deep and the water surface was broken most of the time. I lost almost no fish, probably due to their chunky size. Once they struck they were on and stayed on.