PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of deer

DLM
06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I know this is not related to Kokanee but I need help.

We are having problem with deer in our yard feeding on some very spending plantings we did all spring. I know of all the different types of chemicals that are made to repell deer, but i was thinking about one or two of those coyote photo silhouette's to scare them off. Does anyone know if that would work or not? They are supposed to be great for geese and ducks but I don't see why they would not work for deer also, but then, deer are smarter than your average duck.

Any input would be appreciated.

SuperD
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
How about those motion sensor activated sprinklers? They are like the rainbird style sprinkler and when you get too close it goes off.

sawdustsavage
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
22 long rifle comes to mind. I used to raise roses at home. I had over 60 plants. I loved the smell. So did the deer. Last 3 yrs I raised them I got 2 buds. I tried evrything I heard of except a 22. I gave up and took out the roses.I don't think a coyote form will scare them much. I have had both beded down under my apple trees. I never tried the sonic repellers they have now. They may be worth looking into. My roses were pre-sonic days.

Cariboospeed
08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
How about those motion sensor activated sprinklers? They are like the rainbird style sprinkler and when you get too close it goes off.

That's what I use. They work great on anything bigger than a robin. Kinda pricey, but it beats the hell out of having pie plates and plastic bags hanging from your trees.

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

DLM
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
We may have found a solution. We thought we may plant some lavender around the yard, they look nice and have a good fragrance. As She Who Must Be Obeyed was doing some research she learned that deer hate the smell of lavender and will avoid being around the plants as much as possible.

SeaDog
08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi!

Here's an old trick that has been used here in New England for years.
Deer hate the smell of humans. (Ask any deer hunter!)
Get some small cotton tobacco pouches -> Stuff with cotton then Urinate -> YES! Pee on it till it's soaked.
Hang pouches around the perimiter of your property.
Easy, Cheap, and IT WORKS!!!!
Saved my gardens from Bambi!!!!

SeaDog

Mudinchev
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi!

Here's an old trick that has been used here in New England for years.
Deer hate the smell of humans. (Ask any deer hunter!)
Get some small cotton tobacco pouches -> Stuff with cotton then Urinate -> YES! Pee on it till it's soaked.
Hang pouches around the perimiter of your property.
Easy, Cheap, and IT WORKS!!!!
Saved my gardens from Bambi!!!!

SeaDog

So instead of Tea Bags you use Pee Bags??laugh hyst

platypus
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
--Give up.. they will come right into our house if the screen is open so don't think they are afraid.
--I fenced off a portion of the yard for plants and just wrote off the rest.
--After a couple of months two deer managed to get into the fenced area and within a few minutes ate most of the plants.

Cariboospeed
11-28-2011, 05:06 AM
telling ya, motion activated sprinklers to keep the at bay....

I have a "deer patch" of good alfalfa, clover, grasses, grazing for them, and the vegetable gardens are guarded by a Scare Crow. Two days after we turned it off, (frost), the Swiss Chard was mowed off. Then the apples. Got out the game camera and there was a nice legal buck chowing down

The g/f and I bbq some 'organic' lamb chops and some home grown 3pt Mule chops for diner. Venison for the win! Seriously, it' worth the effort.