PDA

View Full Version : Lake WA. kokanee..........

KOK head
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
It's been a while since I have been to Lake Wa. fishing. I originally went there seeking cutthroat, due to reports on other websites. We, my son and I, were on the lake by 6:00AM. We fished the south end of Mercer Island in 120' of water, 25ft down. I was marking large schools of fish from 25' - 85' on the fish finder, so I slowed my troll down. Right then my kids rod popped off and he boated a 15 1/4 inch kokanee/sockeye so back it went : ( Within 10min it popped off again. Another kok, but it was 11inch. Back it went. By this time, my son and I were hungry, so back to load the boat up at 11:30am. All fish were caught on a 50/50 dodger and a small splatter back hoochie squid, 25' down. I heard they might open the lake for sockeye this year? Anybody have any info on that? 101eatdrink101

Torres
07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Kok head.

From looking at the latest counts here http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/sockeye/counts.htm#counts
it looks like another bust for (oh I hope i'm wrong) a Lake Washington sockeye fishery.

The 2006 season was the last time I can recall having fished for them. I know that WDFW likes to have an escapement of +300,000 or, I believe at least +200,000 sockeye passing through the locks by the end of July before deciding on having an opener. Cross your fingers...

When they get around to removing the dam at Ravensdale in the future, (if they haven't already) it's going to open up many more miles of spawning gravel to the trout and salmon which will help increase the size of future runs!

Richard

KOK head
07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
That would be awsome if they did open it! So whats the law about going out and C&R sockeye until you hook the 15inch and under limit AKA kokanee in lake WA. do you know? I mostly fish that lake for cutthroat !