PDA

View Full Version : 1st Timer to Wallowa

Rasty1
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a nephew in Clarkston Washington who took me down to see Wallowa lake about 3 years ago, as they camp at the state park almost every year and wanted to show me a beautiful place. Beautiful just doesn't seem to describe the area adaquately as it is more then that for sure.

Since then I have gotten into Kokanee fishing and now headed back to Wallowa the middle of August to give it a shot. I have been haunting the forum for tips but there is very little. So any of you koke addicts fishing Wallowa lake, that are willing to give up a tip or two to a newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.
May your poles always be bent.

smokin' Kokes
06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
here's what I used on 2 #4 circle hooks with a small fluorescent green corkie up it's rear dosed in shrimp krill

http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/prod_squ_hoot.php

http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/images/4packpink.jpg

i only got a 6 lb 25"er and a 3 lber but I'm not complaining, it's like fishing in heaven.
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=3395

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=3194

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=3312

read and enjoy. I love reading the Wallowa posts, brings back the thrill of the Big One ripping line off. with 8lb, the only time i wondered if i had strong enough line for kokes

did Lewis and Clarke eat sockeye kokanee?
=============
Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt Chief Joseph

The first white men of your people who came to our country were named Lewis and Clark. They brought many things which our people had never seen. They talked straight and our people gave them a great feast as proof that their hearts were friendly. They made presents to our chiefs and our people made presents to them. We had a great many horses of which we gave them what they needed, and they gave us guns and tobacco in return. All the Nez Perce made friends with Lewis and Clark and agreed to let them pass through their country and never to make war on white men. This promise the Nez Perce have never broken.

For a short time we lived quietly. But this could not last. White men had found gold in the mountains around the land of the Winding Water. They stole a great many horses from us and we could not get them back because we were Indians. The white men told lies for each other. They drove off a great many of our cattle. Some white men branded our young cattle so they could claim them. We had no friends who would plead our cause before the law councils. It seemed to me that some of the white men in Wallowa were doing these things on purpose to get up a war. They knew we were not stong enough to fight them. I labored hard to avoid trouble and bloodshed. We gave up some of our country to the white men, thinking that then we could have peace. We were mistaken. The white men would not let us alone. We could have avenged our wrongs many times, but we did not. Whenever the Government has asked for help against other Indians we have never refused. When the white men were few and we were strong we could have killed them off, but the Nez Perce wishes to live at peace.
---------------

the ocean sockeye ran from the deep Pacific up the Wallowa River into the Lake and up the headwaters to spawn while the Nimi'ipuu Nez Percé lived around the lake and fished them for thousands of years with the Great Father's Blessing
No More Forever

good luck and hope you catch the Big One

sawdustsavage
06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
101goodpost101awesomereport I geuss I never realized some of these things. Thanks for filling me in. It is so difficult for me to understand why all people cant get along. Put 20 young children from different cultures alone to play and they will have a great time. A few years later adults will have corupted many of them and the harmony will be gone. It saddens me.

Rasty1
06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Smokin' Kokes, Thank you for the info, I am always amazed at the internet and what is available. Its people like you that makes it great!

Also, enjoyed the brief history of the peoples of the land around Wallowa. Chief Joseph modeled what our leaders need to follow.
Here in California there is a lot of dislike for Mexican's and when I here it, I always ask, "I wonder what the Native Americans felt when the white man started to take their lands?" Maybe in a small way we are understanding what was felt and the fact that this is not our lands, our ancestors took it from the native peoples of this land. Also, in doing so, they wiped out over 150 tribes of Indians, where there is not traceable blood lines to them today.

Thanks again for the info!

skookum9
06-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Smokin'Kokes, that was an awesome post. Chief Joseph was a great example of what real men should be. I hold him in high regard with the likes of Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan and wish things could have been different for him and his people. We can not change the past so we must live for the future. Great quote of a long lost hero, thanks for sharing it.