PDA

View Full Version : Yale Park Docks Repair or Replacement

smokin' Kokes
06-20-2010, 11:30 PM
If enough of us write Pacificorp, the licensee of Yale Reservoir, and the FEDERAL ENERGY REGULATORY COMMISSION we can get them to repair or replace the Yale Park docks and maybe even put in some wind breaks for the launch.

FERC Public Affairs
http://www.ferc.gov/about/offices/oea.asp

Letters to our congress people can help also.

Building and maintaining public access and recreation sites along the dam lakes are part of the contract for use of our river, land and water to produce electricity for profit. They have little maintenance/operation costs on the dams, so the electrical power profit is mainly fat gravy.

the even continue to cry about their costs to produce less than 50,000 smolt kokanee per year for Merwin and keep trying to get out of their contractual agreement.

WDFW pay most of the costs and handle fish biology work on the lakes so we are already soaked for more costs to replace the runs of hundreds of thousands of chinook, coho and steelhead that used to fill the river to the base of Mt Adams. North Ford Lewis used to produce some of the largest steelhead on the West Coast.

Yale is too great a kokanee spawning production resource to loose now

http://www.ferc.gov/whats-new/comm-meet/2008/101608/H-3.pdf

dawson1922
06-21-2010, 01:01 AM
ya, had to pay 3 dollars to put in, Whats that money go to? Half the doc was under water this morrning and with the wind and no bumpers around the doc it makes it pretty hard to unload and load without your own bumpers , by your self.

Bluknight
06-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I can't remember the dates but I believe this repair / upgrade is already planned for later this year. They will shut down that launch for a bit to get it fixed up.

I'm looking forward to it as well!

smokin' Kokes
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
thanks blueK for the followup on the docks.

where did you get your info?

we'll have to monitor to make sure they construct a safe dock for us at YP, that has been dangerous there since it was put in because of the high winds that would come up quickly and the problems of getting back on the trailer. I have a 20fter and would never try to launch with it's present condition.

Merwin Speeliyi is a wonderful safe launch but very short of parking, they need to take up some of the picnic grounds for more boat launch parking

the contract company employees that run Cresap Bay for Pacificorp are a surly arrogant group that make it unpleasant to camp at CP but it's the only place to camp and fish Merwin for several days.

Bluknight
06-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I ran across while looking for the hours of operation for the other ramps here:

http://www.pacificorp.com/about/newsroom/2010nrl/rsc.html

Listed under Improvements closure scheduled for September. It looks like it not scheduled until September. Based on their other facilities I'm pretty positive that will due it up right.

MackPrince
06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
When I talked with the facilities person two weeks ago she said Yale Park is scheduled to have two 100 ft docks in the same style as Speelyai. Even at the normal low pool the docks should be useable.

Anything is an improvement over the current docks2cents At times there isn't even a dock reaching the waterline.

On the plus side...Conditions are looking good for the picnic this coming weekendthumbsup

kokaguy1
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Good to hear they are planning to do something at yale park first time I used it was this Sunday and the dock on the right was half underwater and I could see how that would be a very unsafe dock with high winds. I'd pay $5 to launch if it were in better shape.

As far a Speeliyi goes wonderful ramp, great docks, but not enough parking for sure. I don't know about you all but it can be a real challenge when you come in and want to get your truck and trailer out of it's parking spot to go get your boat, I have had a very difficult time and I'm pretty skilled at manuvering my trailer but that place put's my skill to the test. YES MORE PARKING NEEDED THERE FOR SURE101goodpost101!

smokin' Kokes
06-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Lewis River Lakes Kokanee Fisherpersons,

looks like it's time for letter writing to Warren Buffet's MidAmerica conglomerate PacificCorp, FERC and our congress people over the parking at Speeliyi Bay and the far from sufficient kokanee plantings in Merwin by PacificCorps hatchery program. Many of the small kokes planted are ate by the tiger muskies planted in the lake by PacifiCorp. They like the taste of the kokes far better than the stinky pikeminnows. What a stupid fish biology blunder. May as well have planted burbot in the lake to eat our kokes.

I had at least 3 follows of hooked kokes last year and one fish taken by the tigers last year. The big ones will eat a 3lb koke. Guess it's time to go over in the shallows and put out some rotenone in the tigers spawning beds. 101idea101 whistlersmother 101jason101

http://hillcresttaxidermy.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/DSC03322.334191639_std.JPG

jzell
06-22-2010, 03:28 PM
SK,

I won't question your run in with a tiger chasing your kokanee. But do you have info showing Kokanee planting records?

jz