PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood

Kokezero
06-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the kokanee fishing. I have never been to Deadwood Res. I have heard that it is another hot spot for Kok's is this true? My setup right now is a 12 inflatable raft with 30lb minkota tolling motor. I have most of the gear wedding rings/spoons and dodgers/flashers.
I would like to know your input on the Dipsy Divers (since I don't have DR's) and a kokanee setup. I used to use a similar set up for Coho's back in South Dakota. I have two 9' rods both with line counters and 10lb test mono is this too lite of line for the dipsy Magnums?
Any input would be great.

DV

MMDON
06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
With the Line Counter Reels and the Divers you should be golden. Having experience running them in the past as you do will be a great asset in knowing your depth!

Where is Deadwood?

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Don

Kokezero
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info MMM. I have a couple of Lure Jenson Dipsy Diver Magnums. They say with the o-ring they can be trolled down to 100'.
The big question for me, is 10lb Trilene XL mono too light to pull these divers down 20' to 50' of water. Because on all the info I have found said use 20lb test. But that was a setup for Chinook and Coho. So if you or anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Also Deadwood Res. is located North West of Lohman and Garden Valley.
Happy Fishing!!

DV

gonefishing
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Head up past warm lake and onto the gravel road after you get to the top and onto the flat area. Make a right turn when you come to the Y in the road. That will take you to deadwood and is the best road to go on.

My fist trip up there was with a drift boat and a electric motor. We caught roughly 75 Kokes in 3 days. The fish are smaller but it is a great place to camp and there are lots of Kokanee.

pescado paul
06-29-2010, 04:45 AM
A friend and I are going up to deadwood this weekend. I hear the roads are a little rough. I'll get back to you when I get home. Welcome aboard.

Kokezero
07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone has been up to Deadwood Res and if the Kokes are hitting and at what deapth and gear? Also when is it too late to fish for kokanee? And are the kokes ok to eat when they change colors? This is my first time fishing for these so I don't know much.

Moose1908
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been up to Deadwood Res and if the Kokes are hitting and at what deapth and gear? Also when is it too late to fish for kokanee? And are the kokes ok to eat when they change colors? This is my first time fishing for these so I don't know much.

Good question! Im also a newb to kokanee and was thinking about doing a camping trip in July at Deadwood. Anybody have any advice??

kodiak1
05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
In regards to your inquiry re color and quality of meat, I would not bother with them when they get past a faint coloration. Welcome to the site. Mike

luckykoke
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I highly doubt anyone will be going to deadwood anytime soon! I flew up there via helicopter April 20th and the reservoir was still completely frozen over and there was 3 to 4 feet of snow still on the ground. Anyone planning on going up should check with the forest service to see when the roads are open. With this weather it will be quite some time. The camping and fishing up there is great. Lots of fish, but they are small. Probably around 9-13". I have worked up there for a number of years now and can provide any other information. The advice on the warm lake route is correct. It is the best road, but the fastest route is Scott Mountain road. That road won't be open for some time. We always take the Bear Valley route when pulling our boat in. I think it is the 579 road. Early in the year downriggers won't even be needed. Plus if you can get up there early the cuts and rainbows hit hard. Lots of fun.
Lucky

kodiak1
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
You are certainly right about the early cuttthroat bite. My fellow teachers and myself used to try to be the first in each spring. We would take a boat to the inlets, get out and hike up a bit more. The streams would be packed with big cutts. It doesn't last long, however. If memory served me right, it was typically late May before we could get up to the reservoir. On some years, we would have to go up to the road by Stanley to get to Bear Valley. Mike

ValleyCounty
05-03-2011, 03:30 PM
I would save your gas! Plan on fishing Deadwood in June.

Moose1908
05-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I would save your gas! Plan on fishing Deadwood in June.

June vs July? If so why? The only reason im asking is because i wont be able to go until July.

luckykoke
05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
You should be fine fishing in July. You might just miss the cutthroat bite which is very fun, but the Kokanee fishing will still be good. There is a crew flying up to Deadwood today, so I'll have some info on how much snow is up there and how much ice is still on the reservoir later this afternoon.
Lucky

Moose1908
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks lucky!! thumbsup Any advice on where to fish and at what depth?

luckykoke
05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I just got the report. The lake is still fully iced over. It is starting to melt off where all the tribs are coming in. The airstrip is still fully covered with 1' of snow. Scott Mountain has a ton of snow on it still. Will be sometime before getting up there.

Moose: I've only fished a few times up there for Kokes since most of the time I'm working. We have fished in the evening and have caught plenty of fish. Seems like I've never had to go below 15' to catch fish and this is later in the year. Actually to think about it, we have never had downriggers and just used leaded line. 2 or 3 colors max. We have fished directly across from the cabins (SW) area. If you are serious, I can probably get you a gps coordinate using google earth.
Lucky

Moose1908
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
no need to worry about gps coordinates. The SW description should get me in the ball park. I wont be able to get up there till July, but when i do, i will post the results when i get back down in the valley. Until then i'll keep researching and pestering you guys with questions101smily101 Thanks again lucky!!101ok101

kodiak1
05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Next time you are in Boise, stop in at the corner of 28th St. and Good, and look for the night crawlers sign. The retired teacher that sells worms there spends 1 1/2 months at Deadwood, fishing for kokes every day. He knows more about that fishery than most. Buy a dozen worms, and ask him about details. He will be generous in sharing "secrets". Mike

Kokanee Troller
05-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Best you go in July..Weather in June still has some snow.... Take the Warm
Lake road in..but understand it still is very washboard type of road. My
suggestion for you ...is a almost sure set-up. I would use lead-core, then you
can experiment a little..maybe 3 colors, then 4 colors until you hit the fish. Using a dipsy-diver is not very accurate. Fish the inlet all the way to the
island, always had good luck with that area lots of cutthroats, bring corn & worms for your wedding rings, this is a very beautiful area should see lots
of wildlife etc bring your camera..........good luck

Moose1908
05-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Awesome!! Thanks again everyone, you've all been great help!worthy12

BlueBack79
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
we'll be up there in july. never made it up there last year, but the year before was outstanding. i think we were a bit late on the cutts, but heard guys were catching some monsters.

Kokezero
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
After seeing Ken's update on Deadwood I planned a trip for this weekend. I will get some pictures posted as I return on Sunday... So far the only way in to Deadwood is FR 579 through Bear Valley long trip so I hope the fish are on.

Happy fishing everyone!!!!!

jimmyjav
06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I went to dead wood this weekend, I float tubed and drug power bait and / or night crawlers. I caught 2 16" rainbows but no signs of Kokanee. What kind of gear should I use to catch kokanees' non rolling. I do use wedding rings as well. And advice on a area to fish is also quite appreciated.

After seeing Ken's update on Deadwood I planned a trip for this weekend. I will get some pictures posted as I return on Sunday... So far the only way in to Deadwood is FR 579 through Bear Valley long trip so I hope the fish are on.

Happy fishing everyone!!!!!

SuperD
06-24-2013, 01:19 PM
jimmyjav, do you have a FF on your float tube? Kokes are deep and need to be trolled for or jigged if you are in the vicinity of the fish.

jimmyjav
06-24-2013, 01:24 PM
No not currently but I could change that this week (-; Are there area that are preferred to fish? I noticed lots of boats out from the boat ramp on the opposite side of the lake trolling.

Battleship Oakes
06-26-2013, 12:57 AM
No not currently but I could change that this week (-; Are there area that are preferred to fish? I noticed lots of boats out from the boat ramp on the opposite side of the lake trolling.

Jimmyjav,

I saw you out there kicking around. You were certainly in an area with plenty of fish. It sounds like a cliche, but if you want to catch Kokanee use Kokanee gear. If I was going to try to catch trout, I would use night crawlers and power bait... :-). Try shoe peg corn (white) and troll around nice and slow. Just tip any type of Kokanee rig with corn and you catch them. You will still catch trout too. Kokanee are at every depth from 30' up to the surface. They were jumping on the surface all day last weekend.

Fish are literally everywhere so I don't know if it matters where you are at. As for the jigging, you are on your own. I never tried it before. I imagine as long as you had some corn on any sort of hardware you could jig some.

On a side note, if you are catching 16" rainbows, why on earth would you want to catch the dinky kokes up there? I get that they taste good, but the biggest one I've caught in there this year was about 9" or so. You can catch a lot bigger kokes at LP or AR. I think they are larger at times, but certainly not this year.

Enjoy the 16" trout and have fun.

jimmyjav
06-27-2013, 04:55 PM
was it was a decent day with the powerbait and worms. the two nicest rain bows were bouncing from deep to shallow up a ridge. thanks for the info. We are headed back this weekend so I'll let you know how we do (-;

gtoidaho
07-01-2013, 03:47 AM
Hey all, I am planning a trip to Deadwood for some kokanee and to try the Chinook. How big are the kokanee there? Any good advice on what to use and possible size of the Chinook?

alhntr
07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Question for the people who have caught Chinooks at deadwood. About how deep are these fish this time of year. I have downriggers but no fish finder. Finding the kokes are never a problem. Year before last the kokanee were 13-14 inches.......the same this year ?

Lunddude
07-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Question for the people who have caught Chinooks at deadwood. About how deep are these fish this time of year. I have downriggers but no fish finder. Finding the kokes are never a problem. Year before last the kokanee were 13-14 inches.......the same this year ?

I read in a pervious post the kokes were only running about 9" this year at Deadwood. No need to drive all the way to Deadwood when you can catch all the small kokes you want at Anderson.

campdog
07-14-2014, 12:18 PM
I am heading up to Deadwood on Wednesday for a five day camp out. Does any one know what the road condition is, and if the kokes have any size to them? I am going to try and target the Chinook and the bigger trout, does anyone have any advice as far as depth to start with for the bigger fish. I will give a report when I get back on how I did.

fishslayer13
07-14-2014, 01:40 PM
They put the hurt on deadwood chinook last year by almost draining it to nothing and oxygen levels were very low. There are still probably a few in there with some size but everyone of my friends that have been in there say stay home. One of my friends that fishes there has fished it all of his life hasnt caught a chinook yet. Maybe tuff to fish this year or gone, bad timing maybe I dont know which one. Kokes are tiny this year biggest they have caught is a 9 " most 7 & 8 but they are every where.

campdog
07-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the up-date. Sounds like it will be a good trip to get away from the heat of the valley and do some hiking. I might try to smoke and can a bunch of those little guys.

fishslayer13
07-14-2014, 03:31 PM
You'll have fun, let me know how it works out.

campdog
07-21-2014, 10:52 AM
We just got back last night and I am getting a brine ready so I can start smoking and canning. It didn't take very long to figure out where the fish were and what they wanted to bite, the hard part was getting more fish in the boat than lost. We had four family's there with kids and everyone caught fish taking turns in a 12 foot boat with a 1969 9.5 with 2 down-riggers...accept the wives! They were at 25-30 ft in the mornings and 35 ft at mid day. We used a 5" dodger with a pink mister twister crappie jig, with about a 5 foot set back in order to get the fish straight up to the boat and in the net before they could go crazy. In two days of fishing we caught about 120 fish at 7-10 inches and we rested on the third day. We also lost about 2 fish to every one that we caught.

We drove in over Scott Mt. with a boat on the rack and towing a pop-up. The road was ok. When we came out we drove through Cascade and they just grated the road about a week ago. It was great!

SuperD
07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
campdog, sounds like a blast with the family! If people ask me about catching small kokes I tell them, "they are all the same size in the jar." tongue2 thumbsup

KokaneeJoe
05-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Has anyone tried Deadwood this year for Kokanee... or Trout?

Wishiniwasfishin
06-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Has anyone tried Deadwood this year for Kokanee... or Trout?

Fished Deadwood 6/27/2015 boated 30 small flasher with red wedding ring tipped with corn. 12 to 13 inch fish. Anywhere from 25 to 35 ft deep.

Physion
06-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Is the road to Deadwood through Warm Lake and Landmark open yet?

Wishiniwasfishin
06-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Is the road to Deadwood through Warm Lake and Landmark open yet?

Yes it is, pretty rough!

Wishiniwasfishin
07-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Anybody been up or down Scott Mtn road lately, what kind of shape is it in?

Wishiniwasfishin
07-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Fished Deadwood Saturday and Sunday 7/18, 7/19. 3 guys boated 75 all 13"to 14" one Chinook 20" and 2 pounds. 30 ft down on riggers with flasher wedding ring set up. Most fish starting to turn pink. Scoot Mtn road is bad as useaual to summit. Came out through landmark it has been freshly graded.

FinallyFishingAgain
07-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Hello All. Haven't been to Deadwood in about 22 years. Can a guy still launch at the north end where the river comes in? Heading up this week with my grandson. Hopefully we can catch some before they run. Looks like the Landmark route is the way to get in.

Wishiniwasfishin
07-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Hello All. Haven't been to Deadwood in about 22 years. Can a guy still launch at the north end where the river comes in? Heading up this week with my grandson. Hopefully we can catch some before they run. Looks like the Landmark route is the way to get in.

Depending on size of boat you can still launch where the river comes in. Bigger boat you would be better of heading to the ramp at Cozy Cove. Landmark is definitely the way to go. Still a pretty good mix of silver fish and pre spawners. Meat is in great shape on all fish. Have fun!!!

FinallyFishingAgain
07-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info. Got a 14 footer that is easy to get around.

kokaneekevin
07-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Went to Deadwood from 7/18 - 7/22. Had a great time! Only a little bit of rain and caught over 60 nice-sized Kokanees; brought home 55 (with heads and tails attached thumbsup ). I was surprised at the size, as most of them were 14"+/-. I haven't seen them that big up there for many years. They are starting to turn color, but still very good and I can attest they smoke up really nice.

Caught them at all times of day; we would boat 10-12 in a 2-hour period, but I have to admit, we lost as many as we caught, but lost very few at the boat - mainly because my wife knows how to handle the net. Used Ford Fender with 4 oz lead, orange Gary's gear with 2 oz lead, and copper Gary's gear with 3 oz lead. Copper turned out to be the hottest. I have a downrigger, but I'm still a newbie at using it. So I didn't use it much - mainly because by the time I would get it set up, my wife would have landed 2 fish by then. I'll start practicing for next time though...

Oh, and the road going in through Landmark on 7/18 was terrible, but going out on 7/22, it wasn't too bad. Maybe it was graded during the time I was there.

FinallyFishingAgain
07-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Made the trip July 23-24 thru Landmark. Road wasn't too bad. Made a killing on the kokes on sat but couldn't keep the boat straight after the wind came up around noon. Went back in the evening and nailed em again. Sunday started off slow for us but another boat told us to go a little deeper to 38 ft and we got back into them again. Were throwing back the ones that weren't hurt by then but still brought home enough for the smoker and freezer. Most of them 14 in +/-. Slamming pink wiggle hoochies on Saturday but had better luck with wedding rings behind dodgers on sunday but caught some on most everything we tried. We also lost about 1/3 of what we hooked. A great return to the lake after so long! Gonna be a long winter waiting to hit it again next year.

DeltaDude
08-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Going up mid august, hopefully the fishing will still be good. How deep is the reservoir? First time fishing it, any tips?

rem40xb1
08-10-2015, 06:30 PM
I went 8/4/15 lot's of Kokanee at 25-40 ft deep they would bite just about anything most of the fish are getting very orange and running 12-14". I caught one rainbow about 17" and no other big fish. I spent most of my time trolling for the bigger fish with #13 rapalas and Brads cut plugs--no luck so far

rem40xb1
08-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Just got back today--Fished 2 days. I caught a 8lb 2 oz Rainbow and a 4.5 lb Chinook I fished 50 ft deep with Rapalas. Another guy caught a 12-14 lb chinook
8-20-2015

DeltaDude
08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Just got back today--Fished 2 days. I caught a 8lb 2 oz Rainbow and a 4.5 lb Chinook I fished 50 ft deep with Rapalas. Another guy caught a 12-14 lb chinook
8-20-2015

What kind of rapalas? Never fished with them before, looking for some good trout rapalas, not sure what size or type to get.

rem40xb1
08-20-2015, 05:34 PM
I used jointed J-13 That is a big rapala for big fish--not that good for smaller trout--blue and silver

rem40xb1
08-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Just got home 16.3 lb and a 9.1 lb Rainbow

DeltaDude
08-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Just got home 16.3 lb and a 9.1 lb Rainbow

thumbsup

Someday... someday those fish will be mine.

rem40xb1
08-29-2015, 08:19 AM
8247 9.1 pounds

rem40xb1
08-29-2015, 08:20 AM
removed picture

rem40xb1
08-29-2015, 08:22 AM
removed picture

rem40xb1
08-29-2015, 08:30 AM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/IMG_0673_zpsgkmuyyeg.jpg

DeltaDude
08-29-2015, 03:33 PM
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/IMG_0673_zpsgkmuyyeg.jpg

worthy12

TEACH ME!

rem40xb1
09-11-2015, 10:28 AM
8271 11 lbs on 9-12-2015

rem40xb1
09-15-2015, 04:43 PM
8274http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/IMG_0729_zpsdbfpgqiv.jpg

rem40xb1
09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
9.5 lbs-caught 9/13 2015

rem40xb1
09-15-2015, 04:47 PM
8275http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/IMG_0712_zpsibvqurjd.jpg
11 lbs caught 9/9/2015

DeltaDude
01-09-2016, 10:50 AM
8275http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/IMG_0712_zpsibvqurjd.jpg
11 lbs caught 9/9/2015

How deep do you usually fish?

I have only found one spot where I was able to really fish deep and that was the main river channel that leads toward the dam

rem40xb1
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM
35-50 ft deep

DeltaDude
01-09-2016, 12:47 PM
35-50 ft deep

Is there really any where else other than the river channel I mentioned? How often do you go up and catch those monsters? I am basically going for 3 days in june or july, hope I land one.

rem40xb1
01-09-2016, 12:59 PM
I go 6-10 times a year There are 3 channels that are 70-100 ft deep. The one in front of the dam is a good one

rem40xb1
01-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I fished 42 hrs before I caught my first fish over 7 lbs--3 trips I got skunked no fish in 7 days fishing

rem40xb1
01-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Deadwood is not a easy place to catch big fish

DeltaDude
01-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Deadwood is not a easy place to catch big fish

Not going to lie, you make it look easy ;)

rem40xb1
01-10-2016, 06:48 PM
I wish it was easy but I have never found a method of fishing deadwood that worked on a regular basis. Its all about being persistent and putting in the hours in the boat trolling. It is hard to troll for hours and not get one bite 2 or 3 days in a row

DeltaDude
01-10-2016, 10:16 PM
I was thinking of using a stacker, one fishing for trout one for kokes.

rem40xb1
01-11-2016, 07:04 AM
you will be spending all your time on the kokes--use 2 downriggers one for kokes and one for trout and chinooks

NiteHawk
03-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Rem40xb1, are you keeping those 10+lb rainbows? I don't mean to come off negative but if you are you need to think twice, just coming from another fisherman who fishes Deadwood ALOT. The deadwood fishery is packed with kokes and some chinook, which get replanted by the hatchery in Stanley. The 10lbs+ rainbows your catching are 4-7yrs old and they do not get replanted and do not have the growth spurt & cycle of a chinook or koke. I know it's tempting but you need to throw those back, their is probably less than 50 of those large size rainbows left at deadwood. Last year I noticed several boats targeting the large rainbows a few caught and most harvested. Personally I put several 10+ back in the water and have harvested 1 out of 20 which is the current lake record and is mounted on my wall. There is a reason why your catching them we need to keep it that way! Not saying need to throw every single large rainbow back but we need to make sure as anglers were doing the right thing, put some back! Hope this is not to negative, best of luck 2016 season!

rem40xb1
03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I keep some and I put some back--The Rainbows are great but I am more interested in the chinook--Most of the big Rainbows I see caught are by the Koke fishermen and they don't normally put them back

Physion
03-01-2016, 07:22 PM
The only trout I routinely keep are the ones that are too injured to survive. The rest go back to swim another day. Kokanee taste so much better!

Physion

AverysAdventure
03-02-2016, 01:03 AM
...which is the current lake record and is mounted on my wall.
Is there a website that one can view the records for individual bodies of water? I'd like to look at the records for the waters I fish. Thanks!

rem40xb1
03-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Fish and game has a list on there site

AverysAdventure
03-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Thanks rem40xb1 but the only one I know of on the F&G website is for state records. I'm looking for records for certain bodies of water. NiteHawk has the current lake record rainbow for Deadwood so there must be a place that keeps track of this info.. I'm curious what the kokanee record is for Deadwood and other lakes.

campdog
03-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Here is the link.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=82

AverysAdventure
03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks campdog but that's not what I'm looking for.

DeltaDude
05-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Any news on deadwood? Is there still a ton of snow up there?

Wishiniwasfishin
05-24-2016, 12:00 AM
Still 50 inches at Deadwood Summit.

riverrunner16
05-31-2016, 11:13 PM
Anybody try to get in there last weekend ?

DeltaDude
06-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Anyone make it up there yet?

rem40xb1
06-08-2016, 09:59 PM
I called Lohman ranger station and they said the road through cape horn was open but VERY rough with bad wash boards--The camp areas are open at deadwood

NiteHawk
06-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Lots of down trees & slides not safe for towing boat in.

G3 longliner
06-11-2016, 09:44 AM
planning 3 day trip to Curlew next tues - appr. any new reports from over the weekend - LP has been slow - sounds like its hit and miss on Koks this year?

deep sea
06-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the kokanee fishing. I have never been to Deadwood Res. I have heard that it is another hot spot for Kok's is this true? My setup right now is a 12 inflatable raft with 30lb minkota tolling motor. I have most of the gear wedding rings/spoons and dodgers/flashers.
I would like to know your input on the Dipsy Divers (since I don't have DR's) and a kokanee setup. I used to use a similar set up for Coho's back in South Dakota. I have two 9' rods both with line counters and 10lb test mono is this too lite of line for the dipsy Magnums?
Any input would be great.

DV

Just to let everyone know, if you're headed up to Deadwood, beware of the road washouts due to the early run off...in pretty dry years, that road can still be a nightmare if you have a trailer/boat heading up there. Make sure you have good securing straps for your boat and gear, and anything you're pulling is going to be a huge dust ball, so invest in a boat cover too before you head up. and definitely post your results!! i have been wondering recently if the Koks up there. caught a hybrid trout up there one time that jumped before he broke me off, and i'll be darned if he wouldn't give those Henry's Lake trout a run for their money. this guy was massive...and of course no one believed me!

hooknhunter
06-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend staying home on this one.......

Leave the lake for me!

Fished about 4 hours on Thursday, all day on Friday, and about 4 more hours on Saturday morning. We brought home 29 Kokes averaging close to 15 inches and about 10-12 trout. Threw back A LOT of trout.

Physion
06-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Is the road open from Warm Lake through Landmark and then south?

Physion

hooknhunter
06-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Yes. That is how I came out. There were a few drifts that weren't shoveled out very wide, but you could get through. At the drifts there was some mud, water, and a few bumps/holes, but easily passable.

DeltaDude
06-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Is the road open from Warm Lake through Landmark and then south?

Physion

Yeah it is where campdog and I came out from. We would've gone in had we known the road was open there as well. Good luck fishing up there!

Kokedawg
06-17-2016, 12:42 PM
20# Kamloops caught in August of 2015. Can't wait to get back in 2016. The road is open at Dagger Falls but hasn't been graded so pulling the boat isn't available for me yet. The road should be graded in a few weeks.

NiteHawk
06-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Its only a matter of time before the rainbows are gone there thanks to this forum an no one throwing them back. That's not a kamloop BTW, its a Rainbow & they don't get restocked.

QUOTE=Kokedawg;59047]20# Kamloops caught in August of 2015. Can't wait to get back in 2016. The road is open at Dagger Falls but hasn't been graded so pulling the boat isn't available for me yet. The road should be graded in a few weeks.
8643[/QUOTE]

rem40xb1
06-19-2016, 09:51 PM
They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there

NiteHawk
06-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Ya expect 20 years ago you didn't have the internet. Had a buddy up there this weekend lots of boats couple jet boats. In 1-2 yrs the biggest rainbow you'll see cone out of there 6-8lbs. Over fished the big guys and they aren't living long enough to grow to 10+

QUOTE=rem40xb1;59068]They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there[/QUOTE]

rem40xb1
06-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Ya expect 20 years ago you didn't have the internet. Had a buddy up there this weekend lots of boats couple jet boats. In 1-2 yrs the biggest rainbow you'll see cone out of there 6-8lbs. Over fished the big guys and they aren't living long enough to grow to 10+

QUOTE=rem40xb1;59068]They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there[/QUOTE]

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range

NiteHawk
06-19-2016, 11:02 PM
Who are we saving them for??? Wow exactly why they will be gone. Some fishermen have zero clue, or a lot by reading this forum.

I threw back 20 last year so they can get bigger an we can catch them again. How many did you harvest last year remex40?

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range[/QUOTE]

rem40xb1
06-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Who are we saving them for??? Wow exactly why they will be gone. Some fishermen have zero clue, or a lot by reading this forum.

I threw back 20 last year so they can get bigger an we can catch them again. How many did you harvest last year remex40?

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range[/QUOTE]

I caught 4 and kept 2 in the month of august--I saw one other big fish caught--I know of ten+ people that fish for the big fish and the keep some and put some back just like me--You keep putting all the fish back for all the clueless people--They will appreciate it

Kokedawg
06-20-2016, 11:15 AM
According to the fish biologist responsible for planting Kamloops in Deadwood, this fish is a Kamloops. This fish was also taken to fish & game who also confirmed it was a Kamloops. This might have been the new state record if it was a rainbow, but it wasn't.
There are plenty of them, in the lake, for a person to take one as a once in a lifetime fish.
Fishing is a wonderful pastime and I encourage more people to do it.

NiteHawk
06-20-2016, 11:28 AM
So you got your one great, how many more need to be harvested for everyone to get there one. Deadwood is not the size of pend oreille, CDA, or Anderson.

Which biologist did you talk to? Current record is 20lbs for a rainbow, your looking like 15lbs in that picture.

According to the fish biologist responsible for planting Kamloops in Deadwood, this fish is a Kamloops. This fish was also taken to fish & game who also confirmed it was a Kamloops. This might have been the new state record if it was a rainbow, but it wasn't.
There are plenty of them, in the lake, for a person to take one as a once in a lifetime fish.
Fishing is a wonderful pastime and I encourage more people to do it.

Petty4life
06-20-2016, 12:08 PM
This post ha run its coarse and gone south. Please respect each others opinions.