PDA

View Full Version : What hook size and type do you use?

Full_Monte
09-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I was reading Phil Johnson's article on Kokanee fishing and noticed that he recommended using #2 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. I've been fishing for trout with #6 or smaller hooks. Was the #2 size recommendation a misprint? What are you guys using?

I also notice that Gamakatsu hooks seem to be sold only in small, expensive packages. I bought some red Mustad hooks the other day in a box of 50 for about what 8 Gamakatsu hooks would cost. While I know the Gamakatsu hooks are very sharp, I don't mind filing a point on my hooks. What do you guys do?

Digi-Troller
09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
If you don't mind having to sharpen your hooks then cheaper ones will work. I use #2 and #4 gami octopus hooks for kokanee. They are strong and sharp (and stay that way) but, they are a bit pricey. But, the price is worth it to me. When it comes to kokanee I never skimp on price, but thats just me.

FishHunter
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
If you don't mind having to sharpen your hooks then cheaper ones will work. I use #2 and #4 gami octopus hooks for kokanee. They are strong and sharp (and stay that way) but, they are a bit pricey. But, the price is worth it to me. When it comes to kokanee I never skimp on price, but thats just me.

I agree completely with Digi-Troller. I use the same size and brand hooks because they work great and I don't want to spend the time to sharpen my hooks as often as cheaper ones.

HiTechKoke
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Gami Octopus #4's. You can usually find a place to buy them more in bulk to save a few $'s. I forget where I bought them last time but it will come to me later. I'm a big fan of their colored coated hook series as well in the same size.

Kevin

halojm
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree with going with the Gami Octopus hooks. I tie mine tandom for spring fishing when I use squids or RGT Tubes. When late summer and fall come around I'll usually switch to an open eye siwash by gami in #2 size attached to a ball bearing swival. I loss less fish because they can't twist the line at the not when they roll. Just my two cents worth.
Rob/RMT

SilverBullets
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I also use the # 4 gamis, snelled in tandem with about 3/8" separation.

HiTechKoke
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
On the topic of separation I like to rig some of them with a longer length between the hooks, up to a half inch sometimes, as it ends up being a dancing corn hook behind the lure, something I can see pretty well on video when you have a shorter leader behind an active dodger. Just something more to tinker with and consider.

SilverBullets
10-01-2008, 11:54 PM
On the topic of separation I like to rig some of them with a longer length between the hooks, up to a half inch sometimes, as it ends up being a dancing corn hook behind the lure, something I can see pretty well on video when you have a shorter leader behind an active dodger. Just something more to tinker with and consider.

I experimented with something this season that was described in the book "kokanee" that Phil Johson was doing with a WeeTad, except I applied it to Apex lures. I adjusted the leader and ran the hooks 6"-!2" in back of the lure. The apex's action really got the corn moving, and caught many fish rigging this way. I have seen your and Adobe's kok video's, and want to thank you for taking the time and sharing with us. It really shows that a speed change, turn, or depth adjustment is all it takes for a kok following your lure to commit. Sorry for straying off the subject.

HiTechKoke
10-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Rumor has it some guys fished with just hooks and corn trolled and caught fish... I never got around to trying it but I think I will next year.... probably with a dodger and if that doesn't work.. then without it. It really is going to look just like a bug lure and if the bite is slow then why not try the whacky stuff!

Thanks for the compliments on the videos....I figure might as well share them as there are plenty of subtle things to learn about lure action, speed etc in relation to the fish. With the price of fuel and everything else we need to maximize our time on the water.... except on the Gorge where you get your limit in about 10 minutes... :-) or that was my totally jaded view after such a great trip this summer.

Full_Monte
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder why Phil Johnson used #2 hooks instead of #4 hooks like seems to be common on this forum. I understand that he used to fish kokanee over 100 days a year. Do you think that it has something to do with the ability of a larger hook to better snag a koke after the hookup and the fish rolls up on the line?

HiTechKoke
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
It might have been related to the fish were bigger in California at most of the lakes back in the Phil Johnson days. I usually save my #2's for Lake King Salmon rigs but have put them out for Kokanee and you'll catch fish with them as well. Later in the season when those males get jaws extension they could take some pretty big hooks.

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 03:11 AM
I wonder why Phil Johnson used #2 hooks instead of #4 hooks like seems to be common on this forum. I understand that he used to fish kokanee over 100 days a year. Do you think that it has something to do with the ability of a larger hook to better snag a koke after the hookup and the fish rolls up on the line?

Hi Full_Monte. The article you referred to at the beginning of the thread, if it is the same one I read, is about catching large kokanee. According to what I have read Phil Johnson specifically targeted large kokanee, hence the larger hooks. Also in the article he talks about the double hook rig that is so popular now. As the fish initially takes the lure and gets hooked it shakes its head. As the fish shakes, the second hook gets caught on the outside of the cheek or mouth. Maybe Phil thought the larger hooks helped out in hooking the fish in this maner. I didn't know Phil (wish I had) but others on this forum I think did. They may be able to shed more light on the subject.

Bob

Bduck
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I also use Gami Octopus #2 hooks. When ever I buy a small lure that comes with a treble, I'll put a replacement hook on it, #2. I'm not a big fan of treble hooks but I do use them on the larger lures. Also, when using Gami Octopus hooks, I found it easier to unhook fish. Its a good hook. I don't want to spend time sharpening hooks when there is fishing to be done or having a cold one.

Old School
03-23-2009, 10:14 PM
No offense to Mustad cuz they do make some good hooks esp for fly fishing or they did anyway, but spec the #4 red octopus style hooks. I used them quite often last year and caught a lot of fish on them, however no matter how much filing I did I couldn't get them as sharp as the Gamis. + you should never have to file a brand new hook.
This year no filing...all Gamis #4s.

Also I have been known to fish for a trout or 2. I was using Mustad #2 blue worm hooks for running grubs. No more..Gami light wire only.

My 2 cents.
Old School

MackPrince
03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I was running red gami #4's but kept wearing the red off 'em. laugh hyst
For this I'm not brand specific but do like #4 or 6 hooks.

Kokanee Kid
03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, up here I use a #2 gami drop shot/split shot hook, sometimes adding a #14 trebble stingger behind it.

Full_Monte
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, up here I use a #2 gami drop shot/split shot hook, sometimes adding a #14 trebble stingger behind it.

Now, that's interesting.... a regular hook followed by a treble hook. Do you know if it increases your catch rate? Do you put corn or anything else on the treble?

SuperD
03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Granted, this is for trout but the stinger alone has caught many fish.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6056/grub.jpg

Fallriverguy
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I also like to use #2 hooks but often use a #4/#2 combination. My spinners are usually tied with #4 but hoochies I like #2. Last year I started using dropshot hooks and will switch over to all dropshot thru attrition.

I have not found #2 hooks to be too big for even small Kokanee. If a 10" Kokanee can fit a large trebble hook on a jig into its mouth then a #2 is easy. I find I loose less fish with the bigger hooks

HTK, I have used hooks and corn before with no lure. It works well at times. One of my favorite lures at Odell is three green beads and corn on the hooks. A fishing buddy of mine fishes a plain corn/worm combo in the spring at Paulina and does well.

Full_Monte
03-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I also like to use #2 hooks but often use a #4/#2 combination. My spinners are usually tied with #4 but hoochies I like #2. Last year I started using dropshot hooks and will switch over to all dropshot thru attrition.

I have not found #2 hooks to be too big for even small Kokanee. If a 10" Kokanee can fit a large trebble hook on a jig into its mouth then a #2 is easy. I find I loose less fish with the bigger hooks

HTK, I have used hooks and corn before with no lure. It works well at times. One of my favorite lures at Odell is three green beads and corn on the hooks. A fishing buddy of mine fishes a plain corn/worm combo in the spring at Paulina and does well.

Fallriverguy, I'm curious about your reasoning for going to dropshot hooks. Are they better than octopus hooks?

crjahn
03-25-2009, 02:53 AM
I use #4 fine wire hooks in black or red tied half inch apart. I prefer black but sometimes the fish prefer red. I keep the hooks pointed the sameway when using corn, or anything else on the hooks. I don't want the corn or bait spinning. After a hook-up you may need to reajust or retie. fish on

Fallriverguy
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Fallriverguy, I'm curious about your reasoning for going to dropshot hooks. Are they better than octopus hooks?

I, and some of my Oregon fishing buddies, have started to use drop shot hooks and we all agree our hook-to-land ratio has increased. The thin hook seems to penetrate better and I like the shape of the hook. I think the drop shot design holds better. Try them and see what you think.

Dropshot
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I, and some of my Oregon fishing buddies, have started to use drop shot hooks and we all agree our hook-to-land ratio has increased. The thin hook seems to penetrate better and I like the shape of the hook. I think the drop shot design holds better. Try them and see what you think.

thumbsup Since switching to these hooks I think I am using pliers 75% of the time to get the hook out. With octopus they were throwing the hook in the net, or before.

"Dropshot" just the word brings quality and excellence to mindlaugh hyst

IssaquahBob
03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Are there preferred hook colors to use?

SilverBullets
03-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Are there preferred hook colors to use?

I only use red, other colors might work just as well, but I figure if it's not broke, why fix it.