PDA

View Full Version : Oil vs. Gel?

Full_Monte
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I was looking at various scent items in the tackle shop and was wondering what you guys use...gels or oils. They sell both. I'm just guessing that if you are marinating corn, you'd use oil, but if you are using a metal lure, you might use gel. What's your thinking?

SilverBullets
09-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I mainly use the oils for marinating corn. I use a little anise plus and kokanee killer corn magic in every batch also. My favorite scents are kokanee special, carp spit, garlic, vanilla extract, and shrimp/prawn. Pautzke nectar works also.The new gels are best on lures, and can be applied to dodgers, and even the downrigger balls. Stays on a long time, just have to remember to clean everything afterwards. With these gels, I've read corn is not even needed, as the gels leave a good scent trail. I'm not quite ready to give the corn up yet, but for lures where corn can mess up their action, the gels are a good option.

Digi-Troller
09-30-2008, 12:44 AM
I'd agree that if you are marinating corn, use the oils... but, being in Utah we can't use corn. I have fooled around marinating sponges, foam ear plug pieces, and Exudes fake corn. For these I have used oils and theyve all worked fine, especially the ear plugs which really hold the oils well. But with the new super gels from Pro Cure I have found little need to go to the trouble of marinating. Maybe I've just gotten lazy, but we seem to still catch plenty of kokes. In fact this year, entirely relying on the gels, was our best year ever.

FishHunter
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I mostly use Pro Cure super gels because they stay on longer and are easy to apply. We can use corn in Colorado and have soaked it in oil in the past, but this year I was lazy and just used gels on the lures with no scent on the corn. Like Digi-Troller, we used gels almost exclusively this year and did pretty well.