PDA

View Full Version : Monday Evening Wickiup Report

Fallriverguy
06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
With a break in the weather, I decided to fish Wickiup last night after work. It did not look that windy when I lunched the boat, but by the time I motored around and found some fish the wind was strong and steady. It sure would be nice to fish Wickiup without feeling like I am in a washing machine. It was bumpy enough that I had to employ the Moknots netless method of launching the fish into the boat. Seven were hooked and six landed. One fish was 16.5 inches, another was 16 inches and the others 13 inches.

Surface water temp was 57-58 F and the fish were caught 10 to 20 feet OTW. Homemade spinners caught the first three fish. A pink R&K hoochie caught the last three. All lures that caught fish were behind Shasta Tackle sling blade dodgers. This was my first trip when only Gulp maggots caught fish and corn did not.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/Wick100614.JPG

Green stomach contents of one of the fish.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/kokaneegoo.JPG

The green is Daphnia.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/Daphnia.JPG

twisted lines
06-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Was the little heart still beating or was he spinning on the slide? I could easily see them swimming in the water while clipping the lines to the release a few days ago. I should have tried the pink maggots I guess, never got them to work for me yet. Your catching and I am still cleaning ......... TL

kokaneekid
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey thanks for the report Fallriverguy.... I'm waiting for someone to give me a reason to go camping in Eastern Oregon. From the sounds of it Paulina is looking really good have you fished it yet this year?

HiTechKoke
06-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Great looking Kokes right in your back yard... I'm so jealous! Looks like another good year in the making with some good size already.

Fallriverguy
06-16-2010, 01:08 AM
I have not fished Paulina yet this year. With the reports I have been reading it is temping. The only problem with going is to Paulina, is the fish in Odell sound just as big, and the limit is 25. It is also hard for me to pass on the chance to get a 16 inch fish out of Wickiup.

kokaneekid
06-16-2010, 01:47 AM
I have not fished Paulina yet this year. With the reports I have been reading it is temping. The only problem with going is to Paulina, is the fish in Odell sound just as big, and the limit is 25. It is also hard for me to pass on the chance to get a 16 inch fish out of Wickiup.

I've heard the fish at Odell are small, but the last pictures I saw they looked very nice..... I'm going to take the family camping just not sure what lake to try.... I might just go to wallowa lake and visit my dad. I still not sure when he is coming back. It could be this fall.

skookum9
06-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Fallriverguy, those are some awesome pictures! You did an excellent job with the plankton pics. Wish I had even a fraction of your talent at that. I'm hoping to catch those Wickiup koke's bottled up in the Deschutes arm again so I can try out some of those daphnia cluster flies I've been reading about. I think it would be a blast to learn to catch these guys on a regular basis on a fly. Everything else I fish for I do very well by the use of a flyrod, I see no reason not to try to conquer these guys by the same tool. Thanks for sharing those awesome images with us, and for the fishing report.

Lip Ripper
06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I've heard the fish at Odell are small, but the last pictures I saw they looked very nice..... I'm going to take the family camping just not sure what lake to try.... I might just go to wallowa lake and visit my dad. I still not sure when he is coming back. It could be this fall.

I don't blame your dad if he doesn't come back until fall. We were over there the first of April and had 12''of snow even then it was beautiful, it is a beautiful lake. And great people in Joseph very friendly and great to talk to. signfishin

SilverBullets
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the excellent report Brian...the pictures are awesome!101goodpost101

eric71m
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
the fish at Odell are running bigger than years past, instead of the 9-10 inchers, your getting 10-12 inch plump ones.

But, Kokaneekid, still not as nice as they are coming out of GP!!!

Cannon
06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey thanks for the report Fallriverguy.... I'm waiting for someone to give me a reason to go camping in Eastern Oregon. From the sounds of it Paulina is looking really good have you fished it yet this year?
Come a little closer and I will twist your arm!

Thanks for the report Brian! I have been craving a trip over there but have been holding off. I might just have to head over for a couple of days next week.

Cannon
06-17-2010, 01:22 PM

He told me that he wasn't coming home unless the weather got real crappy or he caught the one eyed fish with one of his hooks in it's mouth. Now that is a real Moby Dick story! I didnt see a coin nailed to the mast head though :)