PDA

View Full Version : Buckboard Derby

onlychild
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Well after 9 days at the lake and some of the worst weather I have seen in 25 years of fishing there. sun. - wen. mornings were not to bad afternoons very windy thurs 72 mph winds damadge to boats in slips 5th wheel in campground blown off blocks landing gear burried in the dirt Les & Loretas hot tub had the door & windows blown in then came the cold and the rain .sat. morn. of durby 35 mph winds we couldnt fish where we wanted to you went where the wind pushed you ,we found big fish on wen. cought 4 that went between 4.4lb-4.10lb. so nice fish .sun. 6 hrs. of solid rain but no wind as the rain let up at about 11:00 a.m. we made a mad dash to where we had cought fish on wen. 3 kokes and 1 rainbo off the bat then a nice one 4.32lb then a fast run to the scales when all was said and done we ended up taking 2nd place for largest koke and 550.00 prize money tuff durby this year but looking forward to the next one

SmokeOnTheWater
06-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Way-2-Go Only Child with a 2nd Place finish. Sounds like the fishin & weather was a bit tuff! Some of the folks I work with took the 5th Place Koke and said it was the hardest they ever worked for $250. Glad to see the derby was a success and no reports of injuries due to the horrific weather.

Kokaholic
06-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Yes, It was TOUGH fishing. I was part of the team that took 5th place. WOW. It was for sure a TEAM effort. One guy had to stay with the boat control ALL of the time. No slackin either. The other two had to take care of poles and as a team. I felt like I was on the Time Bandit after Crab!!

I heard of many folks that came in off their boats that were litterally sick with motion sickness. It was rough. We satyed out and toughed it out. CRAZY!

Congrats to you guys Only child on your nice fish. worthy12

onlychild
06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys, it is funny that you said time bandit becouse all weekend my wife kept saying this is like the deadlyist catch. I know of 2 teams that fished part of sat. and refused to put back in on sun. about 5 years ago they called the derby early on sun. becouse of big winds we kept saying I hope it doesnt happen again.but the best part is we didnt hear of any injurys during the durby.

fishinfrenzy
06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Nice going, I was really curios if any "fours" would start showing for that derby. Glad to hear. I've seen your hithhiker post earlier and looked at taking some Wednesdays off if you are still looking. It sounds like you like the Buckboard end also, it usually seems to have the bigger kokes from what i've experienced. Going up this weekend for a few days to seek them out, what worked best for you. Let me know if you are still going on Wednesdays.

Brown bear
06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I think it took four just to get in the money at the derby. I have a pic of the winning fish if someone knows how to post it?? It was 4.66# and we lost another big-BIG one, but you know how that goes.

Petty4life
06-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I think it took four just to get in the money at the derby. I have a pic of the winning fish if someone knows how to post it?? It was 4.66# and we lost another big-BIG one, but you know how that goes.

email it to me and ill post it up for you. kokaneefishingforum@q.com

Kokaholic
06-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I want to see the pic of the 4.66. When I seen that fish it was all filleted out and in a zip lock for the ride home!!!!tongue2101chromefish101

Vance Staplin
06-16-2010, 11:32 PM

I believe 4.0 was 5th place. We had a 3.82 that was 5th on Sunday morning and we ended up in 7th with that fish.

I had it double bad. We didn't fish until about 8:30 Saturday because it was just me and my two kids and didn't want to take them out in the nasty conditions in an open boat. I finally decided to put my top up and basically had to run the motor, operate all 4 downriggers and try to tie lines etc by myself because it was so rough. I only changed about 4 lure combinations all day and drifted in the wind with my motor in reverse trying to slow the boat down to 1.2-1.3 m.p.h. to get the strikes.

Saturday we boated about 10 Kok's but Sunday we struggled more because the fish had moved out of the area.

All in all I felt 7th was pretty respectable considering the conditions. The whole derby was fun after all and the conditions just put a different purspective on it.

The kids even said they want to come back and do it again next year.

We got home here in California at 6:30 last night and had Flaming Gorge Kokanee for dinner tonight. Man, nothing tastes better than Kokanee from the Gorge.:cool:

Vance

sambo
06-17-2010, 01:52 AM
sounds like a hell of a trip!! called ya yesterday your mail box is full. your a wanted man!! your brave to run the boat in wind with kids. ive been there done that!any how I leave friday cant wait, I hope the weather and fishing is excellent, ill give ya our report in a week or so wish me luck take care sambo p.s where did you find fish? I need to learn the lake.