PDA

View Full Version : First Quaggas found in Utah Lake, major impact

smokin' Kokes
06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Quagga mussels are water filterers, removing substantial amounts of phytoplankton. By removing the phytoplankton, quaggas in turn decrease the food source for zooplankton, therefore altering the food chain. They can also do all kinds of damage to boats, pipes and impact recreation at reservoirs like Sand Hollow.

http://connect2utah.com/roughin-it-story?nxd_id=92705

dubob
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
SK,

Damn you gave me a start. We have a lake in Utah called Utah Lake. Your title made me think they were in there. Maybe you could edit the title to say 'A lake in Utah' instead of 'Utah Lake.' Just a suggestion to save confusion. Thanks.

smokin' Kokes
06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
looks like the Quagga are hitchhiking on the boating crowd traveling I75 N out from the heavy infestation taking over Lake Mead.

Isn't Utah Lake right along I75? at least it was the last time i was through.

good luck with your Utah Quagga clam Invasive Species Program

none in Washington St. so far. may be too cold plus the state troopers, weight control and Fisheries Wildlife officers are working over the tourista boats hard. see them all the time with out of stater boats pulled over looking for bugs.
they've confiscated and fined several already for bug infestations

dubob
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Utah Lake is adjacent to I-15, not I-75. I-75 runs from Michigan to Florida. And it is on the west side of the Provo/Orem area. Sand Hollow (where they found the mussel) is down near St George which is 250 miles or so south of Utah Lake. Utah Lake DOES NOT have (as your thread title implies) any mussels in it - yet! I hope it never happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

smokin' Kokes
06-16-2010, 01:56 AM
old tired eyesight.
both Sand Hollow Reservior and Utah Lake are located along Interstate 15 between Lake Mead and SLC
heavily traveled by pleasure boat traffic.