PDA

View Full Version : 50 Fish Day @ Green Peter

kokaneekid
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
50 Fish Day @ Green Peter 06/12/10

With the bad taste of Detroit Lake still in my mouth I was looking forward to tight lines and the constant sounds of, “Fish On” in the air. With my dad at Wallowa Lake trying to catch a world record I was on my own again for another weekend. The reports haven’t been great at Green Peter but I had faith in my crew and my dad’s insight that I could have a great day of fishing. My wife Debbie, son Joshua, and father in-law Jerry joined me on my quest for another successful day. I’ll admit that my day started out very slow, eric71m and I had exchanged cell number so we could see how each other were doing during the day. Early in the day Eric seemed to have the better fishing spot, and my crew was wanted to check out his location. I heard the word mutiny a couple of times. The wind picked up big time and I was nickel and diming the fish, it wasn’t looking very good. I keep switching setbacks, sling blades, and lures I was ever contemplating long lining just to pick up some number until I hit the Jackpot. I am willing to show a picture of the UV Sling Blade that was picking them up with, but the lure is a family secret. I just wished I had more than two of those combinations in my tackle box. This is where I wish Chester was with me because I could have loaded all four poles up and had lots to spare. I went to every tackle store in Salem to find UV Sling Blades I found the Jackpot at Sport Authority I think they have two left. I would recommend buying them off this web site.

http://www.shastatackle.com/

Tell Gary Mirales that the kokaneekid sent you.

After I had what they wanted dialed in it was no stop action. We ended the day with 50 really nice kokanee. I would like to thank eric71m for calling me and giving me heads up that the traffic was bad. I would rather just stay on the lake with a pole in my hand than be stuck in traffic with a steering wheel. Thanks Eric. I would also like to thank Lamiglas for making a rod that is designed with the kokanee fisherman in mind. I love that a big time manufactures is thinking about us kokanee fisherman. Their Classic Glass kokanee downrigger rod works perfect, it’s a great value and I would recommend it to everyone. Fishing has slowed down at Green Peter but if you’re persistent in figuring out what the fish want it can be fast and furious.

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

smokin' Kokes
06-13-2010, 04:24 PM
good job and lots of fun awesomereport

do I see gunny sack marks on those fish?
laugh hyst

kokaneekid
06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
good job and lots of fun awesomereport

do I see gunny sack marks on those fish?
laugh hyst

I put them in Zip lock bags in a cooler with two bags of ice. After I scale and clean the fish at the cleaning station I put them back in the cooler without the Zip Lock bags and cover them with more ice. Then when I get home I put even more ice on them. My hands feel like they have frost bite on them when I get done fileting them. I've never used a gunny sack on my fish I've never heard of anyone using a gunny sack on fish. You may be aging yourself with that comment. Kokanee have to keep very cold, if they get warm the meat will get soft, and I hate eating soft fish.

Fish On kokaneekid

Bullitt
06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Wow! I have a lot to learn. You got 45 more than I did laugh hyst but then this was my first time koke fishing and using a downrigger. I figured if we boated just one fish, the trip was a success. rolleyes I learned a bunch though and will be back for more. I definitely need more tackle and a new net.

I don't recognize your boat so I must have not been where you where. ;) It looked slow where we were early and then there would be a sporadic bite.

Someday I hope to bag that many. 101cheers101

kokaneekid
06-14-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't recognize your boat so I must have not been where you where. ;) It looked slow where we were early and then there would be a sporadic bite.

Someday I hope to bag that many. 101cheers101

I'm going to have kokaneekid put on my boat in the near future. So much for incognito fishing right?

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

smokin' Kokes
06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
I apologize to one so young that hasn't developed a sense of humor yet, a sense of humor does help to enjoy fishing KK

laying one's fish out on black plastic in the hot sun could not be good for meat eating quality but does help the ego?

wet gunny sacks were used before the days of crushed ice in bags at Safeway everywhere, ever see a canvas water bag hanging off the front of a jeep or the saddle of a horse in E. Ore headed 50 miles back in to a secret fishing spot?

it feels good to smile and grin when one talks with other fisher people or says "Fish On"

I put them in Zip lock bags in a cooler with two bags of ice. After I scale and clean the fish at the cleaning station I put them back in the cooler without the Zip Lock bags and cover them with more ice. Then when I get home I put even more ice on them. My hands feel like they have frost bite on them when I get done fileting them. I've never used a gunny sack on my fish I've never heard of anyone using a gunny sack on fish. You may be aging yourself with that comment. Kokanee have to keep very cold, if they get warm the meat will get soft, and I hate eating soft fish.

Fish On kokaneekid

eric71m
06-14-2010, 11:13 AM
It was nice finally meeting you Kokaneekid, maybe next time we'll be able to sit back and exchange stories around a beer or two... It was definatly windy...
We started out at first light in the famous "Cannon #1" troll area. We managed to get 8 all the way to the boat before the clouds burned off... I say managed because my boat partner didnt belive me that he had poor quality hooks on his rigging, and could not keep them on all the way to the net...maybe next time he'll listen to the "guide" LOL...
the best combination was a pink sling blade with Pink R& K hootchie at 40 feet.
After the clouds burned off, we fought the wind pretty good, but man it sure takes a lot out of a fella... ended our day trolling around kokaneekid, with the same setups as the morning bite, and ended the day with 12 in all.
Really nice half pounders!!!
I can only imange how big they will be come derby time.

river hunter
06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
we trolled around forever using what we used last week and just one tail slap, i was using whatever i had, then remember a bait that worked good for me last year when the sun was out
we got 8 yesterday, hot setup for us was a uv sling blade with a orange/white glow 1 1 /2" hoochi

Fishin-RN
06-14-2010, 12:17 PM
awesomereport thanks guys for your detailed reports! I was up to GP last tuesday and managed 11 on pink UV slingblades, bahama mamas, shasta watermelon and homemade spinners :} a few around the island early and some later in the day west of thistle on north shore going with the wind. gotta get more of those family secrets fencing It's such a thrill making something at home that catches fish! I primarily fish weekdays (very lucky that way) but am also looking forward to meeting more friendly fisherman!signfishin

kokaneekid
06-15-2010, 01:45 AM
It was nice finally meeting you Kokaneekid, maybe next time we'll be able to sit back and exchange stories around a beer or two...

I hope you are planning on fishing the tournament on July 17th at Green Peter. From what I can tell you are a stand up guy and I would love to have a beer or two with you. Maybe you and I should hit the lake some time I’ll make sure I bring some good hooks. Good seeing one of my Kokanee Fishing Forum brothers at Green Peter, and thanks again for the traffic update. Let me know next time you make it out, can’t wait for our paths I mean wakes to cross again.

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

river hunter
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I hope you are planning on fishing the tournament on July 17th at Green Peter. From what I can tell you are a stand up guy and I would love to have a beer or two with you. Maybe you and I should hit the lake some time I’ll make sure I bring some good hooks. Good seeing one of my Kokanee Fishing Forum brothers at Green Peter, and thanks again for the traffic update. Let me know next time you make it out, can’t wait for our paths I mean wakes to cross again.

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

green peter koke tourney? never heard of that one. is it new or has it been going on for awhile?

kokaneekid
06-15-2010, 08:23 PM
green peter koke tourney? never heard of that one. is it new or has it been going on for awhile?

Check out Kokanee Power of Oregon. They are the ones putting on the tournaments. You should check it out and join in on the FUN, It's a great opportunity to meet and great your fellow kokanee fisherman. I hope to see you there……

http://www.kokaneepower.org/oregon/

Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com