PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge June 9th-11th

OCF
06-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Fished the last three days at FG. The Koke fishing was slow, the fishing for pup lakers and rainbows was good to fair.

Wed. June 9th - My wife & I arrived at Buckboard around 10:00 a.m. & fished until 4:00 p.m. we ended up catching 3 lakers and 5 rainbows. First time I caught more rainbows than anything else at FG. Most of the rainbows would have been around 2 pounds, one was approaching 4 pounds. The fishing was kind of slow, we averaged a bite every 45 to 60 minutes. Everyone I talked with said to fish shallow so we fished the surface down to 20 feet. The lakers were all under 4 pounds; however, just right for the smoker. Did not see a school of fish that even resembled kokes & never even hooked up with any.

Thursday June 10th - arrived at Anvil Draw at 6:00 a.m., thought I would try fishing for big lakers on the bottom first thing. Saw a few on the graph, never got a bite. Switched over to koke tackle after two hours and trolled down to near swim beach & back. Trolled over a few small schools of fish, could not get them to bite. Fish varied from 25 to 55 feet in depth. getting discouraged, motored north and fished the ranch and trolled north. It was 12:30 p.m. & I still had not even had a strike. We ended up going to the same spot we fished the previous day and started catching fish at 1:30 p.m. Ended up catching 2 lakers and 5 rainbows. Blown off the water at 4:00 p.m. Talked with some of the guys at the fish cleaning station at Lucerne, they had some kokes that they picked up near the pipeline. They stated that they had been fishing 35 to 50 feet in depth.

Friday June 11th - decided to go back to Buckboard. We arrived at 5:45 a.m. The fishing between 6:00 to 7:00 was extremely good. I have 4 down riggers and was working hard to keep 2 poles in the water for the first hour. Did find some kokes, finally around 25 feet in depth. Hooked into three that morning and of course the big one broke my line and ran off with about $10 worth of jewelry. Also caught lakers and rainbows during this period. Fished until noon, ended up catching 7 pups, 2 kokes & 1 rainbow. After that first hour the schools of kokes disappeared - I never saw them again. The kokes were just under 3 pounds (I think the one that broke off would have gone well over 5 pounds). Decided to go into town, get lunch and then try somewhere new. We went over to Sheep Creek Bay. Arrived at 2:30 p.m. and fished until 4:30 p.m. We caught an additional 3 kokes and 2 rainbows. I was surprised that we did this well in the p.m.?

Saturday June 12th - we were going to go back to Sheep Creek to see if the morning bite was going to be good; however, got up at 4:30 a.m. and it was raining so we decided to go home. Good thing because it rained all the way from Manilla to Heber City. I was glad that I did not join the Buckboard fishing tournament today.

Not sure if there was any one kind of bait that worked the best. I tried all kinds of RMT, needlefish, spoons & etc. I think we might of caught the most kokes off of RMT flourescent pink spoon. The kokes were hard to find! I think the burbot are having a big effect on the kokanee population - my 2 cents?

Wyoming is doing an excellent job of checking for mussles. The technicians arrive at the boat ramps at 6:00 a.m. and do a very thorough check. We were also checked on the lake by the Wyoming F&G for licenses and all safety equipment.

FishHunter
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
We fished out of Buckboard during the same time. We caught several fat rainbows and mack pups, the largest being 5 pounds. We only hooked up one kokanee, but never got it to the boat. The fishing was very slow, with the weather being a large factor.

We stayed and fished Saturday morning, only to be met with rain and howling winds. We never caught a fish, like several other folks that had entered the Buckboard Derby.

We fished from 15 feet to 50 feet depending on the area and time of day. Most fish came in 60 to 80 feet of water at 18 and 35 feet using a hyperplaid dodger and a double-glow rainbow squid and a rainbow tasmanian devil.

We talked to only 2 fisherman that had caught any kokes out of Buckboard in the 4 days we were there. This is likely my only trip to the Gorge this year and was disappointed in not finding the kokanee. We fish this weekend every year, but should have waited a couple more weeks to go.

fishinfrenzy
06-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Looking to finally get on the gorge next weekend, to get my grandkids catching fish. Hopefully the weather will get to at least normal. Has anyone figured out the kokes yet? Seems like everything is off the normal patterns for this time of year. May even take a sick "of work" day mid week just to get out and search. Will post results on return.

oldguysrule
06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I too fished this weekend out of lucerne. The sockeye slayers I won on the KFF site fished well.I ran a bahama mama dodger with the pink sockeye slayer.The weather made it tough to fish but we still were able to catch a few kokoes and a few pups. All were caught up north of the pipeline.Can't wait to go back on a good day.The water wasn't very clear with all the run off going into linwood. Water temp was between 53 and 58 most places.Still trying to find some fish stacked but that didn't happen. Seems like the weather is still about a month off.tongue2

Bduck
06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
The kokes are being a little difficult this year. Haven't seen any schooling yet, just an occasional mark on the finder. But some of the ones I have caught had some descent size to them about 3lb range along with some smaller ones of course. When I was last there, water input from runoff was up and the storms hadn't stopped or slowed down. We should be near 90 degrees temp where I live this time of yr, instead its 50's to maybe mid 70's. Crazy weather pattern. Hopefully things will start to settle down some and start seeing some normalcy in the bite soon.