PDA

View Full Version : G.p. 6/12/10

268bull
06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Spent a full day on the lake today. Had my boat in by 7:00 and was counting out my line by 7:15. Long lined a Ford Fender and glo pink wedding ring for awhile. Switched to a standard cow bell and the glo pink wedding ring and the bite really took off for me. By noon I had 12 in the cooler. Switched to a Jack-O-Diamonds and caught four more in the afternoon. Things got real slow from 2:00 on. Called it a day at 3:30. 16 total, was a good day fishing!

fishy4
06-16-2010, 06:06 PM
is there any certain spots that are best? by island? or ramps? under bridge? i would think just trolling down the middle of the lake. of course this will be my first time there... thanks

268bull
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the forum F'Y4. There are many locations on the lake which hold fish on a fairly consistent basis. Trolling 30 yds. or so off the south shoreline has been a pretty fair producing area. A lot of folks motor toward the dam and troll down there, also some tie up to the boom and jig for the Kokes. I personally haven't had a lot of luck trolling by the island, but a lot of other folks do. I have had good luck coming out of thistle crk. and moved to the middle of the lake and trolled with the wind. Rumbaugh crk. has produced well over the years for me. Make mental note of where strikes occur and each time you go back to the lake troll thru that area and see if it produces again. Another area that I've done well in is the Whitcomb crk. finger. Just be carefull trolling under the bridge, you have a lot of lines to contend with from folks jigging off the bridge. I've caught a few kokes on the Thistle crk. finger, but you have a lot of boat traffic there due to the ramp location. Good fishing to you and keep us posted on how you do.

fishy4
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you for your wealth of information. and the welcome to the board of course. I will be there this weekend keep ya posted! thanks again. also is there any good jig that works there? gibbs? or nordic? colors? thanks

268bull
06-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Gibbs minnow and Nordic are both good producing jigs. I would go 1st with the Gibbs minnow, pink & white, or a pearl white, then a pink and white Nordic as my 2nd choice.

fishy4
06-17-2010, 10:15 AM
why dont more people jig at the lake then? seems to me its a trollers show. thanks

268bull
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Your absolutely right! It is mainly a trollers gig. The water is fairly calm down by the dam, allowing for jigging. The main body of the lake has a short window that allows for jigging early, but when the wind picks up, jigging is out of the ?, at least for me. Trolling is an easier option than jigging and contending with the wind. G.P. is big and wide. The schools are spread out, holding on them and controlling the boat would take away my fishing time. That's why I enjoy trolling so much. I've fished the lake for years and have an idea of where the fish are holding. Not always though, at times I have to hunt a little bit, but generally speaking I've been fortunate in finding them. It all adds to the fun of fishing G.P. I've found that the schools will move in or back out from the shore, east or west, but traditionally the schools are there. if trolling thru an area that you've caught fish doesn't produce, move your trolling line (direction) out some and see if you don't get back into them. I've had the bite shut down after trolling numerous times thru the same area. Then I'll try trolling thru the same line but from the opposite direction. Sounds crazy, but it has worked for me quite often.

268bull
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
F'Y4, I use a fish finder in the early part of the season, but my last half dozen or so trips I've left it at home (it's a portable one). It's just more equipment to deal with and I'm limited for space. I fish out of a 14 ft. deep V-hull, aluminum boat. I have just so much space (very little) so I've eliminated what I don't consider necessary. I realize that's putting a lot of faith that the fish will be where I left them the trip before, but as I mentioned previously, traditionally there are areas that schools hold. The more you fish G.P. you will figure that out.

fishy4
06-17-2010, 12:30 PM
ok. so during the middle of the day it is calm enough to jig by the dam? does it produce as good of numbers as trolling? and should i be flatling or downrigging. because i am making homeade downriggers thanks for all your help.

268bull
06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
F'Y4, it's calm at the boom up to ,,,,, maybe a 1/4 mile from the boom, compared to the major body of the reservoir. But it's all subjective. There aren't many guarantee's with the weather. I do all my fishing by the long-line method. I got rid of my downriggers. Again, to much equipment to deal with in a very limited space. But a lot of folks do use downriggers. If I owned a bigger boat, I would have downriggers. I also feel my long lining methods have done well for me though. I always seem to take home fish, perhaps not a limit, but always plenty of fish. At least I'm happy with my methods and results. I should mention, if you have a fish finder, by all means use it. I think it's essential for the first time on a new fishing location. It will save you a lot of time locating fish and that's important to having a good time, finding fish! Then you can concentrate on getting them in the boat.

fishy4
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
ok thanks very much. we have a 19 ft jetcraft its got room. but money is tight so we made our own downriggers. we have a fish finder as well. supposed to rain saturday does that typically turn off the bite or does the weather not affect it? oh yeah we will be launching from whitcomb as the other ramp doesnt sound so great. this is my last question can i just let the wind drift me and jig? or should i tye off?

268bull
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Good luck to you on 1st time on G.P.. I think any time there is a front coming in that it affects the bite. I can't or won't attempt to predict what the fish will do. I like to play with the Solunar charts, which there are many different ones to refer to. 6/12 was supposed to be an excellent bite day, according to the charts. Weather was beautiful, although quite windy from 10:30 on. There was short bite window(10:30 to 12:00) and I put 12 in my cooler. Then it slowed to very little (12 to 3:30)4 in the cooler. And it had the appearance of a knock em dead day! So, who knows. Just have a good time fishing. Just out of curiousity, there's to be a minor feed (actvity) to take place around 11: 45 am. If you think about it, make note if the bite picks up any around then. Minor activity times can last from 3/4 of an hour to an hour and a half (11;45 to 1:30 possibly). Let me know if it pans out. I can't make it out this weekend.

fishy4
06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
sounds good thank you for letting me know. quite the pro. i will keep you posted on how i do. i will try to bring my camera. but a you always forget it when you need it most. thats why i am packing it tonight.=)

268bull
06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
F'Y4, just for reference. I've found that when the solunar tables do pan out, that the actual time frame usually works a half hour to 3/4 of an hour, plus or minus to the actual determined times.Again, Good fishing!

fishy4
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
alright thank you for that. hope that the bite is consistent, but its the beauty and fresh air that really draws me in. although a nice bright koke or two wouldnt hurt. tight lines