PDA

View Full Version : Gang Trolling a Hootchie?

SilverBullets
09-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I know, I know...Hoochies have no action of there own, thus a dodger is needed to impart some action to them. I read a interesting post on another forum the other day though. Seems that the koks wouldn't touch the hoochie behind a dodger on that particular day, but they couldn't keep them away when trolled behind a small set of gang trolls. I've never used this technique, and just wondered if anyone else has any experience with this. If so, what leader length would you recommend? I generally use a heavier leader and a length of 9"-12" to give the hoochies action from the dodger. I prefer trolling a dodger, but on a slow day a small set of trolls might be worth a try.

Full_Monte
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I have no experience with a hoochie behind a gang troll, but it's worth a try.
The hoochie has no action of it's own, so all the attraction would be from the spinning blades of the gang troll. Trout bite on a worm trolled behind these flashers and it's the most common way to troll for trout on a lake. A hoochie would have no more action than a worm. If you want to use gang trolls, you might want to use a lure behind with some action of its own, as well as scent and corn. There's an interesting video on this site about using hoochies behind dodgers and how to adjust your leader length.

Digi-Troller
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
The easiest way to give a hoochie action without a dodger is to add a spinner blade to it. This would make a hoochie work great with gang trolls. On a slow day its definately worth mixing it up,

HiTechKoke
09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Spinner hoochies have become more popular it seems the last two years in the tackle manufacturers eyes as well. The "Hoochie Mama" from KokaneeMart has been a popular one for a couple of years and I've caught plenty of fish on that setup. This one happens to be a small blade in front of a Radical Glo Tube. I did the same with regular Hooches and different blades this year and caught a few fish as well. There are Spinner Squids out from RMT as well. Mixing it up is always a good idea.

On a side story I watched a friend catch a lot of fish one day this year on a Pink Hoocie setup with a very long leader (24+ inches or so) behind a small dodger and that gave it nearly zero action. I've always been a fan of short leaders but some days when that isn't working it sure doesn't hurt to try something you would think would not catch fish and get a surprise.

SilverBullets
09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
The reason that I was inquiring about this was because of how it goes completely opposite of the norm. I am a believer in the line of thought that showing the koks something different has it's advantages. I do alot of different lure designs, and have found that some will out fish store bought lures by a very large margin. I attribute this to giveing them something they don't normally see. Sometimes thinking outside the box is a good thing, you just never know!

Kokaholic
09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Sounds to me like your on to something silver bullets. Your only limited by your imagination!

TopFuelKokanee
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
On a slow fishing day this year at Green Peter I got bored and decided to try something different. Just a plain hoochie, no dodger-sling blade-or spinner blade. Actually caught a decent kokanee with it (just 1 though). Still think the odds are better with dodger action, especially after seeing some of Hitechkoke's underwater video.

SilverBullets
10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Reading Digi-Troller's and HiTechKok's replies on the use of various blades for hoochie action got me thinking. I have a few action discs wiggle fins and have never gave them a try. This might be a good way to use them. Has anyone had experience with these?

HiTechKoke
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I've used them before but did not this year....but still have them rigged in a box somewhere. I caught fish on them before in previous years though. It's one of those things where certain things make it into the rotation of your tackle. The Hoochie thing came out this year from Crystal Basin Tackle and I tried it a few times but did not score with it but I know others that did. It will make that Hoochie go wild though!